Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

“Heart of glass” - letter from Business Traveller about compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Heart of glass” - letter from Business Traveller about compensation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
In the US I would expect the compensation to be higher- but that's the US.

BTW TPs are a poor indicater of loyalty - just lots of money to fly in higher classes.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:27 am

I'm another who read "two first class Avios seats" as asking BA to open up reward availability (i.e. Mr Lawson is suggesting he use his own Avios, and that he pay the associated TFC) by way of compensation. In this regard, I can see why he might think such an action "costs nothing" to BA (I don't agree with him on this point, but I can see his reasoning).

It's not especially clear in his letter, and I wonder if he's not made his request particularly clear to BA. If that is what he is asking for, then it actually sounds like a reasonable compromise to me.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
I'm another who read "two first class Avios seats" as asking BA to open up reward availability (i.e. Mr Lawson is suggesting he use his own Avios, and that he pay the associated TFC) by way of compensation. In this regard, I can see why he might think such an action "costs nothing" to BA (I don't agree with him on this point, but I can see his reasoning).

It's not especially clear in his letter, and I wonder if he's not made his request particularly clear to BA. If that is what he is asking for, then it actually sounds like a reasonable compromise to me.
It could even be that the flight he wants (even if he's only asking for Avios availability and not free flights) has only F (and not even A) available, and they are expecting F to be full though.

In which case, opening up the availability can cost BA rather a lot in lost revenue and therefore may not at all be reasonable.

Really, Avios availability should be seen as 'seats they aren't expecting to be able to sell for cash' especially when it comes to F.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:42 am

Of course that’s true - but I do t think it makes the request unreasonable (and a polite decline is also perfectly reasonable)

The (typical for Flyertalk) outrage I think is misplaced.
henry999 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
It could even be that the flight he wants (even if he's only asking for Avios availability and not free flights) has only F (and not even A) available, and they are expecting F to be full though.

In which case, opening up the availability can cost BA rather a lot in lost revenue and therefore may not at all be reasonable.

Really, Avios availability should be seen as 'seats they aren't expecting to be able to sell for cash' especially when it comes to F.
Yes, I took "a flight back from New York" to mean that route in general, but I see how he might mean a specific flight.

You make a good point, though. If I could get guaranteed access to two lots of F reward space on any flight I wanted on the NYC-LON route (assuming I'd use my own Avios, and I'd pay TFC) instead of £500, would I take it? I'd be tempted, but on that route, I'd take the cash. Now, if it were JNB/CPT-LON, I'd definitely take it!
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ringingup
I find it pretty unreasonable. £500 (or 50k Avios seem more than enough for me).
500 quid seems a bloody fantastic offer for a cut finger in my opinion. I was shocked they even got offered as much as the original 300 (accepting that I don't have any previous claims experience with BA). I got offered the grand total of f all by Malaysian for my only serious airline claim which to my mind was more serious than a cut which could be resolved without medical intervention (stitches).
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
I don't agree that £500 is particularly generous, but it feels about right. What's disappointing is that the customer had to battle for it. It seems as though BA are always trying to get away with as little as possible, only to then up the offer when challenged. I don't think this is good business in the long run. I do however agree that expecting two F tickets is very OTT. I don't think that's reasonable at all.
Actully legally speaking, its a nothing claim, the JC Guidelines place at(a) Injuries where there is a complete recovery within seven days.A few hundred pounds to £550 So basically £500 being the top bar where you can really demonstrate a real minor injury. The individual had a small cut, it's fair to assume given no diversion of flight or stiches, it's a minor injury which would heal in a few days. The request for 2 F class while unreasnable, you cant fault him for trying, the cost to BA is probably less then that. Then again you dont want to set a precident
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by bisonrav
and the result is an injury to a passenger that drew blood which is fairly serious.
He cut his finger.

Once again... He cut his finger.

And he wants c.£10,000 in compensation.

That is ridiculous.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by TraumaDoc
He cut his finger.

That is ridiculous.
Except as a number of people have pointed out - that’s not what he’s seeking.

He wants AvIos availability - so he can PAY for the flights in avios and fees.

Not a ridiculous ask (but equally not ridiculous for BA to say no thanks)
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't come to the same conclusion about the 'ask'. He is requesting "two first class Avios seats on a flight back from New York." This could mean many things, including, for example, the Avios and the availability for a one-way flight from JFK to LHR. But whatever the real ask is, it is in no proportion to the injury suffered.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:37 am

Surely it is - ba are happy to give up seats for Avios and fees.

hes asking to take advantage of that - with more flex.

Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by TraumaDoc
He cut his finger.

That is ridiculous.
It's not £10K or anything like that. I flew last weekend in F to JFK as part of three business class and three first class long haul legs for about £1500, so my actual fare in F for one leg was something like £350-500 maximum. The cost to BA will be far lower than that. Don't confuse cost with price.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Arguing about the internal cost to BA of a first class ticket is missing the point. It is naive to think that the appropriate response is for BA to give away a first class ticket every time someone cuts their finger or has a glass of wine spilled on them.
LTN Phobia and Often1 like this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I don’t think anyone really knows what he wants. Even the original letter writer! And of course the magazine could have edited it to remove some useful info.

some have read it as he wants a ‘free’ F flight.

Others that he is asking BA to open up avois availability on a flight where there is none at present and he is willing to use his own avois and pay the BA surcharges and fees associated with an avois flight - hence the no cost comment.

We obviously don’t know what he said and wrote in his communications with BA and their replies so there may have been something in that that put BA out of joint so they are unwilling to work with him.

Perhaos if if he had found FT and asked for advice before contacting BA and the press ...
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:57 am

Whether it's availability or the actual flights he's after - it's unrealistic. As others have said, £500 is at the upper end of generous from a legal perspective. There seems to be no lasting injury and although unpleasant, it was a fairly minor accident.

I don't think BA can win in this situation (from a PR perspective), without giving in to his demands. Seems he'll keep going until he gets what he perceives he deserves. A PI lawyer would never take this on a no-win no-fee basis, as the level of recovery is simply too small. An hourly rate charging lawyer would tell you that it's not proportionate for the very same reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.