Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

“Heart of glass” - letter from Business Traveller about compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Heart of glass” - letter from Business Traveller about compensation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
Now that we have all opined, I am left wondering whether Mr Lawson's love for BA seemed like the real thing, only to find mucho mistrust, love's gone behind (the gap down the side of the seat).
more importantly, Mr. Lawson might have found most of the opinions expressed here turned out to be a pain in the a**!!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
more importantly, Mr. Lawson might have found most of the opinions expressed here turned out to be a pain in the a**!!
Oh, trueblu, you teasing like you do!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Although it is not a significant injury, it shouldn't have happened. If it happened to me I would probably accept 50k avios/Ł500 however it does seem a bit insulting that they easily handed out 50k in the past for sitting in an older F seat (when new F was being introduced) and he has had to fight to get a similar amount for an injury.

If they offer 20k for a broken screen, 50k for a non-reclining seat etc. then I think an injury even if small like this should be getting a lot more avios (however Ł500 cash seems fair). I would be expecting 100k minimum avios.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Not on BA’s pay scales!

Obviously we don’t know what stage the writer has reached with BA in terms of negotiations, but this is one of the reasons why Customer Relations will - after two or maybe three exchanges - declare a final offer and no longer engage with the customer, leaving either acceptance or going legal as the only routes forward.

It limits the time spent by BA and puts the onus back on the complainer - pretty much a “put up or shut up” sort of response.

Clearly it’s not the case here, but every company has to deal with serial complainers who want to try it on every time. They have to have a method of restricting their activity. BA’s way is to ignore them and hope they go away. Other companies deal with it differently. I’m not sure there’s a right or wrong way - the solution has to fit the circumstances, and I bet airlines generally receive more spurious complaints than most.
As this has been published and is now making the rounds in frequent flyer circles, it will have most definitely appeared in a number of meetings. Each of those meetings will have been attended by a number of reasonably paid decision makers. If there have been threats of legal action, or the possibility that BA might be liable, their legal team would have been contacted too.

I'm 100% sure this is more than the hard cost of a pair of return tickets in F.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyuk
As this has been published and is now making the rounds in frequent flyer circles, it will have most definitely appeared in a number of meetings. Each of those meetings will have been attended by a number of reasonably paid decision makers. If there have been threats of legal action, or the possibility that BA might be liable, their legal team would have been contacted too.

Um, no. My BA insider friend tells me they get hundreds of these letters every month. This sort of thing does not make it to any 'meeting'.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Comes across as being an opportunist if you ask me.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
One presumes that if the writer had lost his hand, suffered sepsis or whatever parade of horribles others have pointed to, that he would::

#1 Have said so in his letter.
#2 Said through using lawyers.
#3 Not been quibbling about a pair of tickets.

Thus, we may infer that this is exactly what was reported, e.g. a cut finger treated with onboard common medical supplies without the requirement of medical assistance.

Suggesting that his cut finger is worth more because of what might have been is not how it works.

The notion that senior decision-makers at BA sit around and evaluate miniscule items such as this and then refer them for legal evaluation is ridiculous. There are low-level clerical types working from a chart.

This claim, if made in the US, would not likely generate 20% of what BA has offered. Always the chance that some jury goes nuts somewhere, but those really are rare.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:15 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyuk

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Um, no. My BA insider friend tells me they get hundreds of these letters every month. This sort of thing does not make it to any 'meeting'.
Whilst I hate to introduce such things as facts to dispel the argument, knowing that does not necessarily align with BAFT proclivities, in addition to the points made by LondonElite I can add that the circulation figure for the GB edition of BT was 64,539 copies in 2016 - the last reported number I can trace. This thread has so far received 5,400 views, with the majority of responses siding with BA’s view.

In contrast, in 2017 BA flew just shy of 42,800,000 passengers. I really don’t see this being at an exposure level that will trouble the senior BA management just yet ...
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by N1120A
Even in the UK, compensation for such a personal injury is likely to be more than Ł500. It certainly would be in the US, Australia or Canada. Cuts are very serious things, even when they seem minor. A minor cut can cost a life or limb
What CAN happen and what DID happen are two different things though. In this case, I very strongly suspect that the letter writer would have clearly stated that it had a serious consequence had he indeed suffered such an outcome.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Definitely not a reasonable request IMO. The passenger just wanted to milk out of BA a free Fist trip for himself and his companion. If he did not like the Ł500 offer he should have sued, rather than crying for help on a magazine.

I am 100% with BA on this one and hopefully they will hold their line.
Brighterside and davm666 like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by frandrake
a free Fist trip for himself and his companion.
I'm not sure BA offers that kind of service...
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by newyorklondon
I'm not sure BA offers that kind of service...
Excellent!

Though I'm surprised the passengers around the 'victim' aren't claiming for PTSD also.

People should also realise, it won't be BA who pay this man - it will be us, their customers. The same as when people sue a school/hospital etc, we pick up the tab (if UK taxpayers).
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
hmm, wants 2x Fseats opened. I suspect , though not yet thought of, they intend to use both GUF and 241, so only use 1x J avios/paid seat purchase.

So complainent is really looking for a joker, to use along with their 241 & GUF2

Regards nominal lose real revenue, BA lose/suffer exactly this many times a year on behalf of the circa 5000 GGL elites. BA can't set expectaions and allow as standard compo for a small cut finger only needing a plaster.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I have to say the Mr Lawson could've worded a bit better his request for "two Avios seats", but I think that we can be pretty sure that what he means is to be given the opportunity to buy/upgrade with Avios.

I wish I'd added a poll to this thread!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.