Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BoB - Success, Failure or just head in the clouds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BoB - Success, Failure or just head in the clouds?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:42 pm
Suspended

BoB pushed me from a frequent BA traveller (Gold based on short haul only) to a very rare BA traveller (blue, 2 flights this year). Switched mainly to EZY and Lufthansa for short haul, Emirates and Virgin for long-haul. The only regret I have is that I didn't switch earlier.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by simonrp84
BoB pushed me from a frequent BA traveller (Gold based on short haul only) to a very rare BA traveller (blue, 2 flights this year). Switched mainly to EZY and Lufthansa for short haul, Emirates and Virgin for long-haul. The only regret I have is that I didn't switch earlier.
+1. BoB showed up my transactional relationship with BA for what it is, dispelled any romance, and made me broaden my horizons, especially long haul. As a result I honestly feel stupid for not discovering Singapore, Qantas and Cathay earlier. Now I’ll let the BA status go, nice as the first wing is, in return for dramatically better seats, wine and food. I’d go as far to say that I now actively avoid BA long haul as a result whereas before I’d not have known any better.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:54 pm

I like it

I like BOB. I am avios rich and cash poor.
I love that I can choose from a wider range of quality drinks and ok food offering, and still pay no cash for them.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
I like BOB. I am avios rich and cash poor.
I love that I can choose from a wider range of quality drinks and ok food offering, and still pay no cash for them.
you don’t like hot meals?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:32 pm

To be honest it hasn't bothered me too much when I have flown BA and from GLA/EDI - LON because if I really wanted to have a G and T and the price is right I would go to LCY. One of the masterstrokes from BA was the free 2k avios at Xmas Time. For many leisure passengers this would have been their first experience of BoB and it meant they could do it for free.
​​​A G and T on a Friday was always nice for me but not a necessity.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by T8191
We don't fly Economy, so BoB has no direct impact. However ... it has impacted on my perception of BA as a brand, for the numerous reasons highlighted up-Thread.
Ahem.... i do recall a Y trip and comfort box from CWS.

Having lounge access on short haul it doesnt matter that much to me. I might liberate a can of tonic and use that in conjunction with another purchased onboard with a couple of gins. Never had a need for food but they always have been available to purchase on my flights and a friend raves about the bacon roll and brown sauce on morning flights.

The thing i DO really miss is the honey nut trail mix that they used to serve pre BOB.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I dislike it with a vengence and it puts me off using BA shorthaul. With a number of friends as crew, it was poorly implemented with an over ambitious menu and unreliable CC machines which crashed constantly. Either they'd run out of food, or too slow to complete the cabin. I can't see how anyone can honestly say BOB is a good expericene (unless you're in the first row of economy)
The carts block the aisle for longer and the whole cabin always appears subdued.
Air Canada has the right balance, which is T&C, juice and water is available for free with pretzels or a buscuit for domestic and US with one, two or three runs depending on the length. Booze and grub is available for purchase but it's not good quality.
I miss my drink on the BA flight, and a snack - it differentiated it for me from LCC carriers. I didn't see prices reduce when BOB was introduced, and personally - I fly a full service airline every time. An allocated seat, bag included, drinks and a snack all make the journey hassle free. I really can't be arsed to mess about with add ons with a LCC carrier - that may be a personal preference. I don't accept the BA argument that BOB improves the quality of the food. It may improve choice (assuming there is any left) but the quality of included food is always in the control of the carrier. (ie spend some of your profits in enhancing the in flight experience that cuts cuts cuts.)
This sort of decision is exactly why BA's 4 star skytrax award remains under review
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
Addendum. I do as others do now, and lift snacks from the lounge for the flight. Not ideal, and I feel embaressed doing it, but as an exec member I see it as part of the hard earned perks

I was briefly heartened to see that BA were considering providing Exec members with free T&C but it's not happened and would divide the cabin if the person either side got a coffee, but you had to pay!
And using avois for BOB makes no sense whatsoever to the majority of club members who pay top dollars for the avois only to fritter them on refereshments
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like all of BA’s changes or failure to invest in the last 5 or so years, it has just made me less likely to pick them. Once when planning I would look at BA prices and if OK book. Now I Skyscanner/Google Flights/ITA and pick from there. Might be BA, but more likely to be EasyJet (cleaner planes, better on time performance IME, nicer crews, more consistent BOB) or any other carrier apart from FR.

So a failure for them for me a customer as I have become more rational and less loyal, despite the merits or not of LTG.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
I dislike it with a vengence and it puts me off using BA shorthaul. With a number of friends as crew, it was poorly implemented with an over ambitious menu and unreliable CC machines which crashed constantly. Either they'd run out of food, or too slow to complete the cabin. I can't see how anyone can honestly say BOB is a good expericene (unless you're in the first row of economy)
The carts block the aisle for longer and the whole cabin always appears subdued.
Air Canada has the right balance, which is T&C, juice and water is available for free with pretzels or a buscuit for domestic and US with one, two or three runs depending on the length. Booze and grub is available for purchase but it's not good quality.
I miss my drink on the BA flight, and a snack - it differentiated it for me from LCC carriers. I didn't see prices reduce when BOB was introduced, and personally - I fly a full service airline every time. An allocated seat, bag included, drinks and a snack all make the journey hassle free. I really can't be arsed to mess about with add ons with a LCC carrier - that may be a personal preference. I don't accept the BA argument that BOB improves the quality of the food. It may improve choice (assuming there is any left) but the quality of included food is always in the control of the carrier. (ie spend some of your profits in enhancing the in flight experience that cuts cuts cuts.)
This sort of decision is exactly why BA's 4 star skytrax award remains under review
I don't know if you're being deliberately obtuse, but the quality of food BA can provide obviously depends on the fare they can sell the flight for. If they can't get an extra £5 in revenue, why would they provide £5 of food and drinks?

I think people on here are slowly accepting the inevitable, but you are ENORMOUSLY outnumbered by the people who would rather have a £5 cheaper flight than get a free drink on board. While you haven't noticed prices falling, I have. I've shifted from almost exclusively LCC within Europe to using BA roughly half the time (which basically is a LCC now I know). Bad news for you, but it seems I'm exactly the kind of customer BA is trying to attract!

As for Skytrax ratings, you lose all credibility if you think they mean anything!
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by callum9999
I don't know if you're being deliberately obtuse, but the quality of food BA can provide obviously depends on the fare they can sell the flight for. If they can't get an extra £5 in revenue, why would they provide £5 of food and drinks?
£5 sounds like the CE cost. I doubt economy was more than £2.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I know you guys felt I exaggerated saying how miserable flying BA is after BOB, but almost all of my BA flights are to Greece which are 4 hours or so. I like to eat on a 4 hour flight!

Its a disgrace. A stingy sandwich does not fill me up. I want a hot meal and LH/LX provide me one on a flight that long!
Its not even the money as I just add 40 GBP to the cost of a BA return to balance it out vs. LH Group.
Wouldn't you be better off on A3 than LH/LX that involve a connecting flight but still give you a hot meal even in Y, and provide direct flights between the LHR and ATH for instance?

You don't get a hot meal in Y on LH/LX to LHR anyway (not even in J for that matter, from memory, at least not on a lot of flights?), and I don't think you get a hot meal in Y to ATH on LH or LX either?

If you are talking about J, you certainly get a 4-course meal including the hot main on BA. So why not book that instead? You also could get something semi-hot on BoB from what I understood?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by richardwft

£5 sounds like the CE cost. I doubt economy was more than £2.
For the food maybe, add in the drinks and it can easily be more than £5.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by CarolynUK
and I've even (shock! Horror!) brought stuff with me from home!
I see no problem with doing that and I expect that doing so will become increasingly popular amongst leisure traveller although since my sandwich triggered the alarm at security I no longer buy Tesco's tuna chunks.

On the broader point, in not so many years the concept of free meals on short haul flights will become 1 of those things that your parents include in their "things were better back them" tales.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by callum9999
For the food maybe, add in the drinks and it can easily be more than £5.
my understanding is that the average cost of catering (incl drinks) in European Y is significantly lower than that (except on the former band 4 flights where I have no doubt it would reach more than this and a few specific leisure routes where many people drink more than they ought to).

Bear in mind many people merely order a glass of juice or water or a coffee, and almost everyone will limit themselves to that sort of thing on morning flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.