Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Belgium operating BA route

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC
Wondered why there was an Air Belgium A340 at T5 on Monday when I flew out.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
I note that tonight's LHR-Dubai flight is operated by Air Belgium. BA is clearly not even trying to compete with Emirates...
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A new service for the Air Belgium aircraft - it is being used as a wet lease on Newark NYC.

1 April to 8 June
BA185 to EWR, BA184 EWR-LHR

Customer Guidelines
- First Travellers can rebook to other services, get a full refund, or accept business cabin travel. This would get a part refund, but would allow CCR access and First TPs/Avios
- WTP passengers can ask for Business travel too, or downgrade to economy, and get a part refund. No full refund option. If travelling economy then WTP TPs and Avios still applies.

Anyone thinking of making changes should reflect before accepting alterations to the booking since one one involuntary move is allowed.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Umm... so essentially a free upgrade from Y+ to J? Not bad if so!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good they have taken a more positive approach to WT+. But surprising they have picked EWR rather than leaving on a bucket and spade route like DXB 😉
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
A new service for the Air Belgium aircraft - it is being used as a wet lease on Newark NYC.

1 April to 8 June
BA185 to EWR, BA184 EWR-LHR

Customer Guidelines
- First Travellers can rebook to other services, get a full refund, or accept business cabin travel. This would get a part refund, but would allow CCR access and First TPs/Avios
- WTP passengers can ask for Business travel too, or downgrade to economy, and get a part refund. No full refund option. If travelling economy then WTP TPs and Avios still applies.

Anyone thinking of making changes should reflect before accepting alterations to the booking since one one involuntary move is allowed.
Just got hit by this. We are in paid (miles + copay) Club World. We can't take the later EWR flight because it doesn't connect to our VCE flight. JFK was given as an option in an email and JFK is less than ideal for us; any hope of swapping to PHL? PHL flights are actually cheaper now (sigh) than EWR/JFK. We are in WT+ on the return, but that isn't affected since we're on the later LHR-EWR flight.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by airb330
Just got hit by this. We are in paid (miles + copay) Club World. We can't take the later EWR flight because it doesn't connect to our VCE flight. JFK was given as an option in an email and JFK is less than ideal for us; any hope of swapping to PHL? PHL flights are actually cheaper now (sigh) than EWR/JFK. We are in WT+ on the return, but that isn't affected since we're on the later LHR-EWR flight.
Can't you just stay on the current flight?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Silver
Any idea why they’ve put it on this route?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Airprox
Can't you just stay on the current flight?
We could, the flight times still work. Is Air Belgium an 'upgrade' over BA? Signs seem mixed. Hows that A342 reliability?

If we can get flights to/from PHL out of this, I'd be happy. Overall not happy if what CWS said is true...that WT+ are getting a "free" upgrade to business, yet I paid Avios and Cash to secure business.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
We could, the flight times still work. Is Air Belgium an 'upgrade' over BA? Signs seem mixed. Hows that A342 reliability?

If we can get flights to/from PHL out of this, I'd be happy. Overall not happy if what CWS said is true...that WT+ are getting a "free" upgrade to business, yet I paid Avios and Cash to secure business.
Just out of interest, if BA had e-mailed you and told you that a Finnair A340 was operating the flight, would you also immediately feel like you want to switch?

If you phone, they will almost certainly let you switch to PHL though, don't think you will get much argument against that.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Silver

What effect does it have on you that those pax are getting ‘free upgrades’? So in the same token if BA switch you to PHL in CW, the flight is busy and there are Op-Ups are you going to be similarly unhappy? I bet you wouldn’t if they then upgrade you to First.?
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:39 am

Just out of interest, if BA had e-mailed you and told you that a Finnair A340 was operating the flight, would you also immediately feel like you want to switch?

If you phone, they will almost certainly let you switch to PHL though, don't think you will get much argument against that.
Actually no I wouldn't think of switching as I have enjoyed my Finnair flights. AY and Air Belgium aren't quite the same though (i.e. plane goes tech, etc). Up thread there was talk of them potentially going under. If it was AY or AA operating the flight, I wouldn't be switching. Good point to think about though. Thanks for the data point about PHL, let's hope so.
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
What effect does it have on you that those pax are getting ‘free upgrades’? So in the same token if BA switch you to PHL in CW, the flight is busy and there are Op-Ups are you going to be similarly unhappy? I bet you wouldn’t if they then upgrade you to First.?
The effect is, I was originally booked in the WT+ cabin, and would have received the free upgrade. I actually think this is the right route to take for the sake of passenger satisfaction. If I was in WT+ and upgraded for free to Air Belgium Business, I would have been happy. I don't begrudge my fellow passengers. However, since I did pay the difference in avios and cash to Club World, I'd really rather fly the airline I booked. If this is a way to get a flight out of my home airport, I'd like to try. Of course I wouldn't begrudge anyone about an op-up in EWR or PHL. If they let me switch to PHL I am a happy customer as likely all of the WT+ people are in EWR. Everyone wins that way...
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Actually no I wouldn't think of switching as I have enjoyed my Finnair flights. AY and Air Belgium aren't quite the same though (i.e. plane goes tech, etc). Up thread there was talk of them potentially going under. If it was AY or AA operating the flight, I wouldn't be switching. Good point to think about though. Thanks for the data point about PHL, let's hope so.
When it comes to irrops (whether the plane goes tech or the airline goes under), the fact that Air Belgium is operating the flight is irrelevant. You will be treated like any other BA passenger.
airb330, zeer0 and george77300 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, if they had the same shockingly bad IFE entertainment and uncomfortable seats.

Having done Air Belgium once, I personally wouldn't do it again if I was booked in CW or F, for those reasons and the dreadful service, but others seem to have had a more positive experience. If I was booked in WT+ then any flat-bed seat would be better so I'd take the upgrade and load up an iPad.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by cosmo74
Yes, if they had the same shockingly bad IFE entertainment and uncomfortable seats.

Having done Air Belgium once, I personally wouldn't do it again if I was booked in CW or F, for those reasons and the dreadful service, but others seem to have had a more positive experience. If I was booked in WT+ then any flat-bed seat would be better so I'd take the upgrade and load up an iPad.
Thanks, you said this more eloquently than I did. Again, if I can go out of my home airport due to this, I am a happy customer. Getting all of my options together (and JFK options just in case) and will call in the next few days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.