Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OneWorld Lounge Access Rules [when travelling on staff ticket]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver

First post here so please be gentle!

I would like to know where I can find OneWorld lounge access rules, more specifically for airline staff travellers. I am airline staff (other OneWorld, not BA) and hold sapphire/silver with BA. When travelling on an ID ticket it has never been an issue accessing business class lounges with British Airways or Cathay Pacific as long as I am travelling with a OneWorld airline. However I was very rudely turned away by the staff at the Qantas lounge at Heathrow yesterday and was told NO OneWorld lounge will permit access when travelling on an industry discounted ticket regardless of status level (which of course I know is not true). Just wondered if there were others who have experienced this? Is this a Qantas thing or did she just not understand the rules?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum oneworldjohnny. It's good to see you here and I do hope we will see plenty more of you here, insiders' views from the industry are much appreciated.

I am not well placed to answer your question, and I'm hoping that other ID90 travellers can give better responses. There could easily be a Qantas specific angle here. However I do know that ID90 travel does count heavily against lounge access, and I believe it is an allowed exception to the usual oneworld rules. However each airline is then able to set its own guidelines. I know I can't guest ID90 travellers into CCR, and only with reluctance into First lounge. However if an ID90 traveller is allowed First access via their personal gold card, that would be OK at least for BA.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TKM&S Elite
I've traveled on ID tickets in the past (I'm a Gold with BA) - my experience has always been that BA lounges are happy for me to use the lounge, outsourced lounges down route never are. I was told once that the policy in BA was that Gold could use Business lounge on ID ticket rather than First. However, I've never been turned away from First (and I always make a point of saying when I arrive "I'm on a staff ticket, so I'm not sure if I am allowed into the lounge as a gold card holder or not" with a friendly smile). I've not been through T5 on an ID ticket since the First Wing opened so don't know if that changes things.

As to other Oneworld lounges, I've never traveled on other Oneworld flights on an ID ticket so never had the chance to see what lounge access would be like.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum. It's good to see you here and I do hope we will see plenty more of you here, insiders' views from the industry are much appreciated.

I am not well placed to answer your question, and I'm hoping that other ID90 travellers can give better responses. There could easily be a Qantas specific angle here. However I do know that ID90 travel does count heavily against lounge access, and I believe it is an allowed exception to the usual oneworld rules. However each airline is then able to set its own guidelines. I know I can't guest ID90 travellers into CCR, and only with reluctance into First lounge. However if an ID90 traveller is allowed First access via their personal gold card, that would be OK at least for BA.
Wow thanks for the quick reply! I can understand why there are rules against ID90 passengers being guested into the CCR however there should be no issues regarding the first and business class lounges. From what I can see on the OneWorld website is that there is no mention of ID tickets being exempted from lounge access specifically. I may ask around internally at work to see what the hard rules are, and would also be interested to know if there are others in a similar situation to me and have experienced this with other OneWorld airlines and programs.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by batteryboy_uk
I've traveled on ID tickets in the past (I'm a Gold with BA) - my experience has always been that BA lounges are happy for me to use the lounge, outsourced lounges down route never are. I was told once that the policy in BA was that Gold could use Business lounge on ID ticket rather than First. However, I've never been turned away from First (and I always make a point of saying when I arrive "I'm on a staff ticket, so I'm not sure if I am allowed into the lounge as a gold card holder or not" with a friendly smile). I've not been through T5 on an ID ticket since the First Wing opened so don't know if that changes things.

As to other Oneworld lounges, I've never traveled on other Oneworld flights on an ID ticket so never had the chance to see what lounge access would be like.
This seems to be my experience also. Outsourced lounges which are not technically OneWorld lounges I don't expect access to when travelling on an ID ticket. I know from experience with both BA and CX they allow access as long as you are the correct status level however just my experience with the Qantas lounge at LHR yesterday got me thinking about what the wider OneWorld access rules are.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

There is verbiage tucked away in the Qantas Club Terms and Conditions (Clause 10.2 to be precise) which states
"Unless otherwise permitted by Qantas, Members who are also airline industry staff, including their families and travel companions, are not eligible to access lounges when travelling on industry discounted tickets."
https://www.qantas.com/gb/en/frequen...onditions.html

However, as a BAEC Silver Card holder, travelling on a oneworld carrier other than Qantas itself, I would have expected a more lenient approach with regard to ID tickets.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
There is verbiage tucked away in the Qantas Club Terms and Conditions (Clause 10.2 to be precise) which states
"Unless otherwise permitted by Qantas, Members who are also airline industry staff, including their families and travel companions, are not eligible to access lounges when travelling on industry discounted tickets."
However, as a BAEC Silver Card holder, travelling on a oneworld carrier other than Qantas itself, I would have expected a more lenient approach with regard to ID tickets.
I did come across this however this applies to the Qantas Club only, paid access for lounges when travelling with Qantas. If you read the Qantas frequent flyer section it states the OneWorld rules:

”oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status
Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with Qantas Frequent Flyer Platinum and Gold status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use any lounge offered by any oneworld airline when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown.“

None of the exceptions apply to ID tickets!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:38 am

AA and MH Too

I used to work for American Airlines, and Admirals Club access was off limits for staff travel, even if you had status with AAdvantage or other oneworld carriers. These conditions were covered specifically in the employee travel policy.
I also know of a friend who was recently travelled on BA staff travel tickets from Kuala Lumpur, and was refused entry to the Malaysia Airlines lounges. It appears that this is an airline-specific policy.

When I learned of BA employees with Executive Club status could enter BA lounges, I have to admit I was surprised ... and a little bit jealous.
If AA offered it while working for them, and all those times I was standing by for flights and getting bumped, I could have camped out in the lounge.
On second thought, I now see the logic !
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
The general oneworld lounge access do not apply to staff travel tickets. Each airline decides how to handle this and QF is clear that they do not allow access. I believe BA only allows it for BA card holders on BA flights but need to check the rules to confirm.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
I believe BA only allows it for BA card holders on BA flights but need to check the rules to confirm.
yes that was also my understanding, no access based on cabin alone, but you do get access based on status.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA

yes that was also my understanding, no access based on cabin alone, but you do get access based on status.

There is access allowed on both cabin and status, for example, A staff member travelling on duty with and F priority does have lounge access regardless of FF status.

BA updated their policy recently, They now say that Golds and Silvers on Staff travel are allowed access to BA lounges only.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by capin
BA updated their policy recently, They now say that Golds and Silvers on Staff travel are allowed access to BA lounges only.
Indeed, this is what I noted, access is granted based on status.

if the staff member is not silver or gold are you also saying they get access when on staff travel if in J/F? When did that change? I’ll admit my information dates from 2016 so may be a little out of date.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver

if the staff member is not silver or gold are you also saying they get access when on staff travel if in J/F? When did that change? I’ll admit my information dates from 2016 so may be a little out of date.
I'm saying that with specific onload codes in F (I think its 01-08) the staff member is allowed lounge access without FF status.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze

I think it is only F duty travel who get Club lounge access and some levels of senior managers on certain staff priorities. Don't think F entitled personal travel or J duty/personal travel get lounge access.
capin likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
I think it is only F duty travel who get Club lounge access and some levels of senior managers on certain staff priorities. Don't think F entitled personal travel or J duty/personal travel get lounge access.
Thanks, yes that’s the information I had too, access for personal or staff travel is based on status only, J/F alone doesn’t get access.

Duty staff 01-19/F get access without status but only to GC and not GF.

SpeedbirdLHR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.