Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA LCY Expansion - 4 aircraft, Rome and more...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA LCY Expansion - 4 aircraft, Rome and more...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Schultzois
I am curious as to others' recent experiences, but both of my summer LCY experiences were poor and in my opinion to an extent attributable to that old queuing/scheduling phenomenon where efficiency drops off dramatically when you go too near capacity. My flight into LCY from NCE was 1-2 hours late because of late outbound for unknown reasons. All LHR/LGW services into and out of NCE were fine that day. The time I thought I would save by landing at LCY was lost twice over by the delays. Outbound to ORY was badly delayed as well, first from a gate not being available, then from the plane brought to the gate not being serviceable, so we had a walk to a new gate with a different aircraft and another long wait well after our original departure should have happened.

LHR and LGW have both been clockwork for me this summer when I've flown.
Were other LCY services also late that day? If not, you just experienced one random case of a plane being delayed at one point just contaminating all further rotations, which can happen just as easily at LGW or LHR as it does at LCY. LCY does have drawbacks: in the winter, delays and cancellations due to weather are more likely than at other airports, and problems with the DLR do happen too. At the same time, delays due to congested air traffic upon landing are a lot more likely into LHR. On the whole, in the summer at least, it is certainly not a case of LCY flights being chronically more delayed/cancelled than their LHR or LGW counterparts.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:34 am

I may just have bad luck when it comes to LCY. If it were just one I'd consider what orbitmc says and maybe it's "one random case" but it was 2 out of 2 not 1 out of 1. The first time I tried LCY (almost ten years ago) I also had a cancelled flight followed by transfer to LHR for a much later flight. To be very fair the station manager (after the fact, and having read something here on FT) reached out to me and kindly arranged a separate journey to show me how "it's supposed to work." As intimated by richardwft above, we ended up with weather issues on the way back and were preparing a diversion when thankfully at last minute we were allowed to proceed to landing. Ever since then I've just felt that if LCY works, it's great, but when something goes wrong, it goes more wrong and you've got a lot less protection. Honestly this summer I picked LCY because it was way cheaper. something like 400 r/t in Club for LCY when for LHR it would have been double.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
As far as I can see, Avios availability is ONLY loaded as 2 Y and 0 J.

This seems to be in breach of the 4/2 deal ....
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:42 pm

I wish they'd bring back (well, it was BMI) the flights to Basel. Trouble is, this city isn't doing so well economically at the moment as the major expat-employing companies are going through a state of flux, but many of the LHR-BSL flights are totally rammed.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Schultzois
Ever since then I've just felt that if LCY works, it's great, but when something goes wrong, it goes more wrong and you've got a lot less protection.
I actually agree with that bit. Part of the reason is the sheer number of rotations/alternatives. I mean you were flying to NCE, LHR has 7 flights daily there in the summer so depending on when you arrive, it is much easier to be put on the previous flight or the next one which might leave before yours if delayed. At LCY, there is basically no way out. And as mentioned, in the winter, the vulnerability to weather can lead to complete closure much more easily than at LHR or LGW.

Last edited by orbitmic; Aug 29, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Not just you Schultzois I've noticed LCY flights have been all over the place in recent weeks. And yes, seems to be peak summer schedule that is less resilient. Still prefer LCY when it's available though.

In terms of routes, what seems to work well is additional frequencies to LHR (eg FRA, TXL, LIN) so people can mix and match. BUD would be nice but suspect it will be something else.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raffles
As far as I can see, Avios availability is ONLY loaded as 2 Y and 0 J.

This seems to be in breach of the 4/2 deal ....
I’m getting better than 4/2 for 15 Aug 19 lcy-gla.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
I wish they'd bring back (well, it was BMI) the flights to Basel. Trouble is, this city isn't doing so well economically at the moment as the major expat-employing companies are going through a state of flux, but many of the LHR-BSL flights are totally rammed.
What is going on in BSL?

Is one of the cities in my watch list as is a major hub of the pharma industry, and I was seriously considering looking for work there.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
What is going on in BSL?

Is one of the cities in my watch list as is a major hub of the pharma industry, and I was seriously considering looking for work there.
Briefly, cos this is totally OT, but there's lots of outsourcing/nearshoring/relocation going on. Not all departments though, so don't let that put you off. If you see jobs to apply for, then you're fine! I'm in IT though, which got hit first I love it here - highly recommended - trying to stay. Pity that it's not possible to fly here via LCY, but flying to Zurich and taking the train is an option, although just going to LHR is typically quicker.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
Air Canada are retiring their fleet of E190s next year once the CS3's oops - sorry, I meant when the A220's start arriving.

Before moving to Canada in 2014, I lived a 10 min cab ride to city, many a day I've landed and been indoors in 30 mins. The route selection and cutting is eccletic sometimes. ie Madrid, then no Madrid, Mahon (and then a switch to LGW and LHR). I once emailed Cityflier and asked about Berlin and they said there was no business case - now I think there are three flights. Scandanavia perhaps (Copenhagen and Stockholm back), would love a Manchester back as I had used the VLM F50 flights years ago.
I love the success of cityflyer - the scottish crews in particular are great, I'm glad they kept food and drink (no way BOB would work with a crew of two) and the 2x2 seating and pitch is great. The model of commuter flights, leisure during the day, and moving out to other bases for the weekend flying is clearly effective

I'm guessing the subbing to Eastern will stop given the poor reliability this year, but it's just so good to see a good product in the IAG group which grows and protects quality like some of it's siblings
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
Air Canada are retiring their fleet of E190s next year once the CS3's oops - sorry, I meant when the A220's start arriving.
But do they have the magic button that allows them to land at LCY?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by richardwft

I’m ok with relatively small delays, it’s when it gets much longer that it becomes a problem. Another problem is when they know there’s bad weather and they divert, thus your return to LCY gets cancelled.
When I was doing LCY<->EDI a lot, I soon realised the trick was to buy two singles (which in EuroTraveller at the time was the same price-ish as a return), so when the fog came down I would hot foot it to KGX and still have the return.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by abligh
When I was doing LCY<->EDI a lot, I soon realised the trick was to buy two singles (which in EuroTraveller at the time was the same price-ish as a return), so when the fog came down I would hot foot it to KGX and still have the return.
Indeed, unfortunately, the time when two singles were the same price - or often even cheaper! - than one return seem to have long gone. On most of my routes, singles now work at about 2/3 of the price of a return, so buying two singles represents an insurantial cost of 33% or so which is a lot.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
...The route selection and cutting is eccletic sometimes. ie Madrid, then no Madrid, Mahon (and then a switch to LGW and LHR)....
Btw LCY-MAH is operating this summer.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
i'm pleased if LCY - MAH is operating - I could only see LHR and LGW. Mind you, currently living in Toronto means it's slightly irrelevant! I'd often fly to MAH for a week, hope to MAD for the weekend and get the monday evening flight back.
I think AC are the only operator of the E190 at Toronto, though some of their subs - ie sky regional fly E170/175s.
My earlier post had a typo which altered it completely - it's good to see one airline in the IAG group holding up quality over cuts. I realise that BOB not working with a crew of two (and one doing biz) is driving the free food drink but still.
Weekly I'm flying an E190 (off topic - sorry) between Torotno and Ottawa - the purser does three rows of club, and the second crew does T&Cs and water/juice on a 40 min flight. Fast!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.