Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA LCY Expansion - 4 aircraft, Rome and more...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA LCY Expansion - 4 aircraft, Rome and more...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Wouldn't be surprised if a service to Lisbon was launched to kill off the TAP flight.
ajamieson likes this.

Last edited by lcyguy; Aug 29, 2018 at 7:10 am
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:49 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
With more aircraft and routes on the way, clearly BA don't see any cannibalisation of LCY routes when Crossrail opens in the not too distant future.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Very good news for my favourite airport. If we could get some Personally I'd like to see more domestic flights including inverness.

I don't get the calls for a lounge but then i live close enough that I can leave the house 60 mins before pushback, take the DLR and still get a coffee. If I take the motorbike (and there's free bike parking at LCY) I can leave 40 mins before push back!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Do we know where the aircraft are coming from? New or second hand?

As their range is a little over 2,000 NM they must take quite a long route around the Atlantic to get to Europe.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:42 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
Do you think that could be anything to do with the surprising surge in visitors to PHX? How do you know they have so many point-to-point pax?
haha, maybe
I have some information from inside (their handling agent at OTP)
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by richardwft
“..Adding some more domestic capacity into LCY could free up some LHR slots, NCL or MAN?”

LHR needs LH aircraft, not slots.
Eastern tried NCL-LCY some years ago (c. 2006?) and IIRC it didn't last long. LHR-NCL loads seem very high but I'd be interested to know how much of this is point-to-point vs. connecting services. My impression has always been that BA - perhaps wrongly - see the latter as the core proposition for the NCL service, and the point-to-point traffic just as incidental. But it would be interesting to know if a 1/2 daily NCL-LCY return could be viable as a truly domestic service; fares are so high on the East Coast mainline that a well-timed LCY service which genuinely does offer a door-to-door timesaving into central London (LHR is marginal) could find some untapped demand.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by ptr120
Except that MAN has a very high %age of people connecting on to other services. NCL slightly less so, but still high - I suspect that the lack of connecting options at LCY would put off some from those airports? NCL has been tried some time ago - by Eastern if I remember correctly, but they couldn't make it work.
I’d probably prefer NCL-LGW for connections, but BA stopped doing this a number of years back... would LCY generate enough non-connecting traffic, or only abstract it from LHR? Somehow strikes me as unlikely but who knows.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by squawk

I’d probably prefer NCL-LGW for connections, but BA stopped doing this a number of years back... would LCY generate enough non-connecting traffic, or only abstract it from LHR? Somehow strikes me as unlikely but who knows.
Would be very nice if BA started NCL-LGW if only for connections to some of the holiday destination flights. Even a single flight from NCL early morning and a return late evening would work. I do wonder how much leisure travel BA have lost to the likes of Virgin who fly Manchester > Orlando.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for posting that, very interesting. Just to help those on gizmos, and in line with FT's policy on bare links, here is the content:
Incidentally another implication of this is that given BA can't expand LCY's operating hours, this presumably will just add to the smörgåsbord of regional services at weekend from EDI, GLA, MAN, BHX and BRS.
This is what will interest a lot of FTers from the "regions"
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Ambassador
Please bring back the MUC flight!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:34 am

LCY is always my preference when travelling to LON, always quickest to get to anywhere in the within zone 2 I find. I hope the expansion does not mean the introduction of Bob to the BACF routes as it's another added benefit of the service
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by citiflyerUK
I suspect we'll see either Budapest or Warsaw as BA tries to stop LOT succeeding on the new routes. I'd desperately love to see ARN return or even Bromma but it's highly unlikely.
Budapest would be a sensible choice as the aircrafts have always been completely full whenever I fly there with BA (couple of times throughout the year).

It is also a profitable route where BA can sell CE tickets at a very high price (return starting from £420!).
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:12 am

I am curious as to others' recent experiences, but both of my summer LCY experiences were poor and in my opinion to an extent attributable to that old queuing/scheduling phenomenon where efficiency drops off dramatically when you go too near capacity. My flight into LCY from NCE was 1-2 hours late because of late outbound for unknown reasons. All LHR/LGW services into and out of NCE were fine that day. The time I thought I would save by landing at LCY was lost twice over by the delays. Outbound to ORY was badly delayed as well, first from a gate not being available, then from the plane brought to the gate not being serviceable, so we had a walk to a new gate with a different aircraft and another long wait well after our original departure should have happened.

LHR and LGW have both been clockwork for me this summer when I've flown.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Sealink
Just as City Jet have thrown in the towel...
To be honest, it was mostly a case of AF throwing the towel. Cityjet was their subsidiary and AF had been by far the largest operator. Then the pair started making questionable choices or could not survive in a foreign land or could not survive once BA decided to give them competition or all of the above and by the time AF got out of Cityjet, it was merely a case of how long Cityjet would keep the pretence before giving up.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Schultzois
My flight into LCY from NCE was 1-2 hours late because of late outbound for unknown reasons.....
I’m ok with relatively small delays, it’s when it gets much longer that it becomes a problem. Another problem is when they know there’s bad weather and they divert, thus your return to LCY gets cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.