Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sometimes Avios just work

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Sometimes Avios just work

Reading a lot of moans about Avios availability, you would sometimes think they are impossible to use or get value from unless you are manning the phones at some godforsaken hour a year out.

Now I tend to book my trips only a few weeks out, so to be honest have rarely checked availability. So last night I'm sitting there wondering where to go at the end of September. Was thinking Caribbean or Seychelles or Mauritius.... started looking at prices & thought naah really don't want to spend that much. I though I'd have a quick browse of Avios availability see if it could be more affordable. Nope nothing in the Indian ocean for my dates. Went to the Caribbean. Generally a blank. Then lo & behold 3 weeks out, 1st redemption availability on my outward & inward dates weekend flights. 2 seats 1 2-4-1 voucher & a just over #1000 in fees. Nab those & as I always do to feel smug go check the fares BA are charging for paying passengers. ...!! 9K each!! I make that a redemption rate of 10p / avios!

If only it as always like that!
(Yes I know it's the hurricane season)
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
I'm glad you do... Others do too hence the rest of your experience.
origin likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:51 pm

I agree, much shorter trip than yours but was recently able to find short notice availability GLA-LON. It was for the bank holiday weekend and the WCML was shut. Flying out of EDI was a no goer with the festival on. Even out of GLA flights I went on were Ł280 so the 9k RFS plus Ł35 was a real steal. Bonus on the outbound was availability into LCY which meant no BoB. Had to get to Paddington, did it in 35 minutes from picking up bag and it only cost 10% of the HEX on DLR/Tube. I would value the redemption at just under 3p per avios which is in my eyes a great ratem
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

End of September is between schools back, christmas shopping and October half term. So I personally would expect a little give in avios redemptions, its also nice in the uk for a break, depending on weather.

What ever, have a nice trip.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
And now you know why there was availability!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Been to the Caribbean in hurricane season at least 10 times and had a great time every trip. The odds of serious disruption are very low, but yes the perception does depress demand.
eugegall likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Been to the Caribbean in hurricane season at least 10 times and had a great time every trip. The odds of serious disruption are very low, but yes the perception does depress demand.
Yes that's the point of risk, thankfully, most people taking a risk will escape unscathed. And yes, if you are not directly exposed this can be mechanically "great" to the extent that hurricanes going in relative vicinity tend to attract all the ambient clouds and humidity (so in fact, even days before or after a hurricane, you get great blue skies, low humidity, and no wind).

I, on the other hand did get caught in a major hurricane a few years ago, evacuated to a different area stuck at 9 sharing one room (and we were lucky) and unable to leave for days, and I can confirm that this was not, in any shape or form, a pleasant experience.
missdimeaner likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
I mean, I could always drive without my seat-belt on and conclude that it's unnecessary too, seeing as I've never crashed and died. The latest 'upgrade' to the Puerto Rico-Maria death toll is reaching 3000, so the risk is real and I don't think people are foolish for avoiding it, even if it's to assure that their return flights aren't delayed by a day or two by more minor disruption.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Interestingly I read the following earlier from a US Newspaper

"History of Hurricane Activity Only 14 hurricanes have moved closer than 60 miles to St. Lucia since 1850. Of those, none has reached Category 5 on the Saffir-Simpson scale, only one has been Category 4 and one Category 3. No hurricane systems affected Saint Lucia between 1980 and 2007. In 2017, hurricane Maria passed north of the island as a Category 2 storm, damaging some of the road systems. This is broadly akin to the hurricane impacts sustained by the northeastern U.S.; the risk of a hurricane hitting St. Lucia is the same as the risk in Boston or New York."

I don't think I'm going to stress too much!!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
... and there's no such thing as a 'typical' hurricane season - last year was brutal to the Caribbean, this year nothing. In fact, the model forecasts usually throw one into the medium-range forecasts (c.16 days out) - but this year noticeable by their absence in the Atlantic region. Of course, having said this, there will undoubtedly be continuous activity now until the end of the year!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: Qantas, BA gold, SPG gold
I agree, DorsetKnob, Avios can be very useful at times.

I know you're aware of the hurricane risk but have you checked into whether nearby beaches are affected by the sargassum slick? It seems that west-facing and north-facing beaches are largely unaffected, so if you are on the west coast of St Lucia you should avoid the problem. The sheer amount of seaweed (sargassum) piling up on the beaches is causing an awful smell.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Msclelovr
I agree, DorsetKnob, Avios can be very useful at times.

I know you're aware of the hurricane risk but have you checked into whether nearby beaches are affected by the sargassum slick? It seems that west-facing and north-facing beaches are largely unaffected, so if you are on the west coast of St Lucia you should avoid the problem. The sheer amount of seaweed (sargassum) piling up on the beaches is causing an awful smell.
yep used to that from previous visits in September & on the West coast
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I need to be in NYC in mid-January. I'd booked CW and not even considered looking about upgrade availability using Avios.

Based on the OP's post, I had a quick look just now. Lo and behold, both my outbound and return flights had F availability so a quick application of an otherwise expiring GUF2 has done the job. Yes I know I have been lucky but it shows it's not all doom and gloom
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:35 am
Suspended

Was able to book 4 one way awards to Hawaii with Avios. 50k miles total + about $20. Yeah I'll take that, thanks BA.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: too many
Had a family emergency last Friday and needed to get my brother home ASAP, his Easyjet flight was delayed by 7h, everything was sold out on the easyjet website due to bank holiday weekend.
Cash price with BA out of GVA...600 CHF.
Managed to get the last RFS seat in Eco 65 minutes before departure, making him arrive to LHR a mere couple of hours after his originally scheduled flight.
So yes, Avios can be VERY useful....
Bophopper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.