Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lounge access in LHR if coming in on CX in F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

It's for my aunt. She's arriving in on CX in F from HKG-LHR but I have to get her a separate ticket between LHR and ABZ. If she's in Y, will BA allow her lounge access if she shows her CX F boarding pass? It would show the same day... eg 14th Dec, HKG-LHR (arriving same day), connecting same day to ABZ.

She's gonna be in a WCHR too.

Thank you.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Aug 28, 2018 at 8:17 am
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Yes, she will have access to Galleries and the Flounge. As it's a Domestic and she's in a wheelchair she may find that she is collected rather early on, however. Galleries North might be easier for access, especially on a tighter connection, but the Flounge easier to get around once there.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
She can access GC and GF per OneWorld rules (https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access):
"Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
  • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
  • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight."
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
There has however, been some debate here on the word "connecting" and its applicability to separate tickets
NeedstoFly likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:29 am

Indeed she will have access to the Galleries First and Club lounges, but note not the CCR as that is only for those on BA F.

As Cymro says the North GC may be easiest for her domestic gate.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks guys... She will be on separate tickets. CX will thru check her bags to her final destination. But then at least I can tell her that she can get to the F lounge. I'm giving her a 3 hour connection. From T3 to T5.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update: BA Terraces at T5 North refused her entry and sent her off despite she showing CX First BP, and connecting flight on BA showing same day connection. I’ve sent note to via Twitter and they’re telling me that separate tickets mean separate journeys.. even though CX thru checked bag to final destination and even issued BA BP on CX stock.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Update: BA Terraces at T5 North refused her entry and sent her off despite she showing CX First BP, and connecting flight on BA showing same day connection. I’ve sent note to via Twitter and they’re telling me that separate tickets mean separate journeys.. even though CX thru checked bag to final destination and even issued BA BP on CX stock.
Directly from the lounge eligibity guide. She should have had access to GF and GC in T5.

Customers arriving in long haul business and first class cabins connecting to a flight in Economy class also enjoy lounge access even though their onward sector does not give them access. This principle does not apply to customers connecting from a short haul flight.
Example: BA First customer connecting to any BA flight - Customer gets access to Concorde Room with a guest as the long haul sector dictates the lounge access for the connecting sector.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
What they are saying is if on separate tickets then you are not connecting, therefore the oneworld rules on connecting to/from a premium cabin do not apply
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
What they are saying is if on separate tickets then you are not connecting, therefore the oneworld rules on connecting to/from a premium cabin do not apply
Which seems fair to me.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm surprised that the lounge access computers are clever enough to know that the previous CX flight wasn't on the same booking.

I'd try the South lounge complex and not mention anything about seperate bookings etc.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I don't think the computers can differentiate.

Remember booking using CX website a return J ticket from Edinburgh to Hong Kong which used BA for the domestic parts but booked in Y (despite there being CE ) . On the way back, showed my domestic boarding pass at the South Lounge and was told I didn't have access. Explained that I was coming off a CX J and was let in. Not sure if there was a message on the screen that wasn't seen first time or if my booking came up but the system definitely didn't flag up I was connecting when the boarding pass was scanned.

Both boarding passes were printed on CX stock too.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:13 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Oneworld rules have never made that distinction before.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc

Oneworld rules have never made that distinction before.
Ya. Their reply to me was ". ... Apologies for the late reply. I completely agree with you on this one, as it is very unclear whether they have to be on a through ticket or not. However, I'm not certain that this is correct, as it normally is the case that you would need to be ticketed in Club Europe for lounge access on the domestic sector. Therefore, we feel that the agent was right to refuse entry, but should never have been so rude to your godmother. "

I replied back and told them that BA stands for Bloody Awful since they don't even know or care about OW alliance rules.

This might turn ugly
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ianwall
I'm surprised that the lounge access computers are clever enough to know that the previous CX flight wasn't on the same booking.

I'd try the South lounge complex and not mention anything about seperate bookings etc.
i think the computers have no problem doing that as the scan shows the whole itinerary so the y be will show as ineligible. Human intervention should have corrected it however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.