Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manners on the bus...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I won't drone on about how it used to be in the olden days. I'll just suggest that we children were brought up differently in the 1940s/50s, where respect for one's elders was drummed in from the outset.
cruisr and JayeJ like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by TheChangingMan
I realise that this makes me sound about a thousand years old but I think there's been a significant decline in manners in general over the last 30 - 40 years. There is a general "elbows out" attitude in day to day life, be that road rage or disinterest in one's offspring. Holding the door open for someone is rarely met with a thanks and don't start me on parking round the school gates. #victormeldrew
+1
What about elevator and lift conduct. I was taught to let those already in an elevator exit first before those waiting to enter can get in. I have seen countless kids running into a lift before people have time to get out and the parents don't say a thing. Good manners are on the decline and bad parenting is on the rise sadly.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by T8191
I won't drone on about how it used to be in the olden days. I'll just suggest that we children were brought up differently in the 1940s/50s, where respect for one's elders was drummed in from the outset.
But when so often respect for children wasn't given - just look at the news for the past widespread disrespect of children in the worst way. Respect is a two way street.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by gms
When I was young my mum would make me stand on a bus or train if there was someone needing a seat.
Me, too. And, I was raised in the US. But, by the time I reached college, my classmates thought I was daft for giving my seat to others who needed it more. (And, come to think of it, many of the recipients of my seat-yielding seemed to think I was strange, too.)
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
We have it in our own extended family - noticeably when the parent wants to be 'best pals' with their kids instead of being parents. But I'll leave this to Mumsnet....
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:24 am

I personally think it's a rebalancing of manners from a stuffier time which has gone too far in the other direction.

There is no reason why you should be making a kid stand to give a seat to an able-bodied adult for example.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: B A Gold
On the train to T5C a Chinese gentleman decided to use my walk on as a seat .... Asked him to move and he gave the confused look of someone not speaking English. He was sitting there holding his own walk on so I started to try and sit on his. This immediately overcome the language barrier and he stood deciding his suitcase too good to be sat on or perhaps no longer feeling tired after his 30 second squat on my case.
Thomathy and mrtraveller like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Originally Posted by callum9999
I personally think it's a rebalancing of manners from a stuffier time which has gone too far in the other direction.

There is no reason why you should be making a kid stand to give a seat to an able-bodied adult for example.
Perhaps not.... When I was young, I had to sit on my parent's knee if I had to give up my seat for someone else. Not seen that happen for a long time on trains or buses...
cruisr and T8191 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I think most of the changes have been for the better since then. Perhaps there were better outward manners during that time, but so was there greater intolerance and acceptance of many kinds of inequality and abuses.
That's a fair point. Perhaps the general anger that we see now is the flip side of the repressed emotions of a couple of generations by. I guess neither is particularly good.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
People not moving down into the bus to let others on is my pet hate. Why is it so difficult?
awayIgo likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
People not moving down into the bus to let others on is my pet hate. Why is it so difficult?
Middle Row syndrome?
A misplaced sense of urgency to disembark?
Lack of spatial awareness?
Claustrophobia?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I find it easier and less stressful not to get worked up about other people's behavior, and just accept that some people are jerks/trash
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
I find it easier and less stressful not to get worked up about other people's behavior, and just accept that some people are jerks/trash
Oh, go on ... tell us what you really think!!

I agree fully, though. Joe Public has some less than desirable characteristics, but when travelling I/we try to stay in our little bubble and let them get on with it.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Well, it is still better in the UK than here in the US. My son was raised to get up for an adult whilst on public transportation. He could sit on my lap and we made the ride for another person a bit more comfortable. THAT is why a child should give up a seat for an adult. Its called being polite and looking out for others. That is what is lost today. The reason why parents are oblivious to what their kids are doing is that they are too interested in what they want to do, such as ignoring the kids and being on devices. I do worry about the direction society is taking and the lack of social connections and politeness. BTW, if I hold the door for someone and they don't say thank you I will in a nice, polite voice say, "Oh, you are welcome".
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:44 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
....but did the kid or any of the family hog all of the power sockets in the bus, this is the key point?
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.