Wiki Posts
Search

Manners in the CCR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AdBoy

Posted without comment
I'm not a selfie person but are selfies considered bad manners? Would seem half the world would have a problem - or at least those who have an Instagram account.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
I'm not a selfie person but are selfies considered bad manners? Would seem half the world would have a problem - or at least those who have an Instagram account.
I would hope it’s the first (and last) sighting of a selfie stick. But we shall see.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by FrogTastic
New money?
​​​​​No, new money tends to be the type who complain about others they feel are violating their bourgeois rules.
LCY8737 and VSLover like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by T8191
There is, of course, the option I worked with at MoD. Rooms totally screened electronically from external snooping etc. Those who NEED to talk can use the room in the back corner, behind sound-proof doors. Or is that too draconian?
Yes, that would go down a STORM
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by AdBoy

I would hope it’s the first (and last) sighting of a selfie stick. But we shall see.
Why?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Yes, that would go down a STORM
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by DFB_london

hapoens 60-70% of the time I’m in there now.
generally a mix of older or people who are selfishly unaware of others. I finds a firm but polite ‘please use headphones’ works well.

Sometimes it can be fascinating ... like the idiot in the Concorde business room today at 1030am discussing a refunding of a real estate deal so Capital and AB can exit it. Full details of planned cash raising with numbers and targets spewed out too, as clearly anyone in jeans nearby doesn’t understand this stuff. All this while said individual also stuffed a full breakfast down and carried on the call - masticating his food for all to see.

At least those kind of idiots are interesting. Their self importance seems to over ride any confidentiality that should be required. Clearly no one else in the area understands that stuff.

Once on board the amount of non public sensitive stuff that gets read in full view is also astonishing (Deutsche Bank and Barclays staff seem to do this a lot, in my experience). I’m surprised some hedge funds don’t just employ staff to pick up the tit bits to trade against these people (as clearly it’s all meant to be public anyway if shouted down phones and notes left out for all to see).
Deutsche, BarCap plus JPMorgan.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Hmm... a couple who are clearly happy to be there taking a selfie to mark the occasion (whilst not obviously inconveniencing anyone), or someone who takes a surreptitious photo of them in that moment and posts it on the internet with an implied invitation to others to pour scorn on them.... which represents worse manners do you think?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I've posted before that I am over travelling, and I certainly will not miss my fellow passengers in the lounges.

"Why take one seat when you spread out over four?"

"Who needs to wear socks and shoes in an airport?"

"OK kids, this is your playground. Run along and leave mummy and daddy alone."

Last flight in two weeks, I can't wait for a quiet aviation passenger free life.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
What's wrong with the couple taking the selfie?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Hmm... a couple who are clearly happy to be there taking a selfie to mark the occasion (whilst not obviously inconveniencing anyone), or someone who takes a surreptitious photo of them in that moment and posts it on the internet with an implied invitation to others to pour scorn on them.... which represents worse manners do you think?
IMHO the one that tried to pour scorn on a happy couple who were trying to mark the happy occasion that they were in the CCR! I think how ignorant for someone to post scorn on the internet on a couple just taking a picture of themselves having a nice time!
Sealink likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:23 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
One of the subjects in the photograph has an uncanny resemblance to one of our brethren.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sealink
What's wrong with the couple taking the selfie?
Absolutely nothing to me, and I'm normally quite fussy about etiquette, (for a northerner.)
Sealink and flyerkit like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by fatmac70

Why?
Maybe because it's such an ugly piece of equipment

On a serious note though, some selfie-takers do not consider others while doing it, and that is annoying. Blocking the paths, picturing those who do not want to be in the background, suddenly stopping without paying attention to people behind them etc.

If they are considerate, selfie-taking can be perfectly OK but when they are inconsiderate, then it's just plain bad manners, not because of selfie-taking but because they're being selfish.
fatmac70, JayeJ, Knodde and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
A friend of mine get so irritated by *those calls* that after hearing a few details he sometimes stands near to the guy and pretends to make a phone call so the guy could hear

'Hi Jerry (the guys bosses name) I'm in the lounge / on the train and can hear Fred (the guy) and he's talking about the mega deal we are putting together for anyone to hear. I want him removed from the project NOW'

Within seconds the call was terminated.

And of course there is the story of some buying up various internet domain names they overheard from a loud meeting held in a coffee shop.
I took a tip from a fellow FTer and created cheap business cards at VistaPrint that read as follows and hand them out as needed:

You don't know who I am.
You don't know what industry I work in.
You don't know who I know.
You probably should stop talking so loudly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.