Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manners in the CCR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Manners in the CCR

Last three visits to the CCR:

I had to ask the bloke in the dining booth next to me to stop using his iPhone on speakerphone. He was shovelling kippers into his mouth whilst discussing wallpaper with his wife.

I had to ask the staff to deal with a guy watching a film on his iPad at full volume on the terrace. After a lot of diplomacy he agreed to use his headphones.

Someone came and sat next to me at the bar and started playing a computer game on his phone, again at full volume. Before I could moan again, he was politely and firmly told to stop it.

Is it me or is it get much, much worse?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:56 pm

There was 2 people (at two different times!) on Saturday evening having full blown FaceTime conversations without headphones, sitting at the bar.

One of them proceeded to share every mouthful of wine and food he consumed with his FaceTime partner. Clearly the person on the other end of the phone was not interested in having all this information shared whatsoever but he continued to share anyway.

The other was having some sort of domestic argument (in Spanish) with a family member - which became very heated.

#classy
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer

I had to ask the bloke in the dining booth next to me to stop using his iPhone on speakerphone. He was shovelling kippers into his mouth whilst discussing wallpaper with his wife.

I had to ask the staff to deal with a guy watching a film on his iPad at full volume on the terrace. After a lot of diplomacy he agreed to use his headphones.

Someone came and sat next to me at the bar and started playing a computer game on his phone, again at full volume. Before I could moan again, he was politely and firmly told to stop it.

It's really interesting isn't it? I mean, these are customers who are either travelling First (in which case spending many thousands of pounds) and / or have highly-esteemed status in BA's frequent flyer programme. Of course, there are redemption people as well, but I wouldn't think that many and I would imagine that they would be better behaved.

This behaviour really doesn't look good, especially when you think back to the days of the 70s and 80s when flying First was really the preserve of the upper classes. I remember one of my first flights as a child to Mumbai (in the Landor 747), when people wore shirts and ties in Economy.
cruisr, tynmar and Vasco Pridat like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I am deaf.

And as people get older they stand a chance of getting deaf too, whether they admit it or not.

The average Concorde Room passenger must be getting on a bit too - by and large you don't become wealthy or important enough to fly First when you are young.

So a typical passenger in the Concorde Room may be more likely than average to be deaf.

And when you are deaf, what sounds normal to you is loud to everyone else - even with hearing aids.

So if I could hear well I would give these passengers benefit of the doubt.

But of course I don't hear well, so I don't really mind!
Kgmm77, maeboyce, flyerkit and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I am deaf.

And as people get older they stand a chance of getting deaf too, whether they admit it or not.

The average Concorde Room passenger must be getting on a bit too - by and large you don't become wealthy or important enough to fly First when you are young.

So a typical passenger in the Concorde Room may be more likely than average to be deaf.

And when you are deaf, what sounds normal to you is loud to everyone else - even with hearing aids.

So if I could hear well I would give these passengers benefit of the doubt.

But of course I don't hear well, so I don't really mind!
But why use open air speakers on devices when there's headphones of every sort available? Not only will they help you hear better, they'll help everyone else hear better.
cruisr, Sealink, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by rickg523
But why use open air speakers on devices when there's headphones of every sort available? Not only will they help you hear better, they'll help everyone else hear better.
This. When I call my mom, she frequently insists on talking to me via speakerphone, which makes it harder to hear her on my end. She also has troubles hearing me too.
djbenedict likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer

hapoens 60-70% of the time I’m in there now.
generally a mix of older or people who are selfishly unaware of others. I finds a firm but polite ‘please use headphones’ works well.

Sometimes it can be fascinating ... like the idiot in the Concorde business room today at 1030am discussing a refunding of a real estate deal so Capital and AB can exit it. Full details of planned cash raising with numbers and targets spewed out too, as clearly anyone in jeans nearby doesn’t understand this stuff. All this while said individual also stuffed a full breakfast down and carried on the call - masticating his food for all to see.

At least those kind of idiots are interesting. Their self importance seems to over ride any confidentiality that should be required. Clearly no one else in the area understands that stuff.

Once on board the amount of non public sensitive stuff that gets read in full view is also astonishing (Deutsche Bank and Barclays staff seem to do this a lot, in my experience). I’m surprised some hedge funds don’t just employ staff to pick up the tit bits to trade against these people (as clearly it’s all meant to be public anyway if shouted down phones and notes left out for all to see).
Takiteasy and Vasco Pridat like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
New money?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
A friend of mine get so irritated by *those calls* that after hearing a few details he sometimes stands near to the guy and pretends to make a phone call so the guy could hear

'Hi Jerry (the guys bosses name) I'm in the lounge / on the train and can hear Fred (the guy) and he's talking about the mega deal we are putting together for anyone to hear. I want him removed from the project NOW'

Within seconds the call was terminated.

And of course there is the story of some buying up various internet domain names they overheard from a loud meeting held in a coffee shop.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
This. When I call my mom, she frequently insists on talking to me via speakerphone, which makes it harder to hear her on my end. She also has troubles hearing me too.
When my mum calls me, I insist on talking to her via speakerphone, for precisely this reason!
origin and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
I wonder if the rise of the speakerphone conversation coincides with the rise of video calls, where most devices default to the external speaker?

Last week I was in the LHR CCR and an elderly gent was getting very agitated because he was waiting for his wife to finish shopping downstairs before having breakfast, but time was pressing on. Every few minutes she'd call him on videophone, and he'd shout "just get up here, love, I WANT MY BL**DY BREAKFAST." And every time, upon hearing this, a staff member would come over to him only be told "no, I don't want my breakfast yet, because my BL**DY WIFE IS STILL SHOPPING."

It was quite amusing at first. Not so much after the third time.
origin, wrp96 and Vasco Pridat like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
OT, I know, but how will it go when wifi on planes allow phone calls? (shudder)
cruisr, T8191, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
Badly
cruisr, LTN Phobia, T8191 and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
Have you been on a train recently?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
I wonder if the rise of the speakerphone conversation coincides with the rise of video calls, where most devices default to the external speaker?

Last week I was in the LHR CCR and an elderly gent was getting very agitated because he was waiting for his wife to finish shopping downstairs before having breakfast, but time was pressing on. Every few minutes she'd call him on videophone, and he'd shout "just get up here, love, I WANT MY BL**DY BREAKFAST." And every time, upon hearing this, a staff member would come over to him only be told "no, I don't want my breakfast yet, because my BL**DY WIFE IS STILL SHOPPING."

It was quite amusing at first. Not so much after the third time.
Perhaps he needed her to cut his food for him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.