Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Some Classic DYKWIA Behaviour in T5 North Galleries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Classic DYKWIA Behaviour in T5 North Galleries

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:03 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Schultzois
OMFG
I get some personal pleasure from having every letter different. I know it doesn't matter and there are bigger issues in the world (and in lounges) but still...
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:05 pm

The level of passive aggression here is hilarious.

if you’re going to unplug it - do it while the other person is there. If they doesn’t work feel free to get lounge staff to help.

Bragging about having to be sly isn’t something to be proud of.
bullroot, HIDDY and mrow like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:30 pm
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by lizban
The level of passive aggression here is hilarious.

if you’re going to unplug it - do it while the other person is there. If they doesn’t work feel free to get lounge staff to help.

Bragging about having to be sly isn’t something to be proud of.
On the contrary, it was quite deliberate because it was less likely to be confrontational. I had asked him in a polite way, he was rude back to me. He then left his items unattended - even more selfish in my opinion to hog the sockets and go off to the exclusion of anyone else who may wan to use just one.

Interestingly my course of action met with univeral approval from every single one the total strangers that were in that cluster of armchairs. The ones that got to use the plugs I vacated and also the ones who did not have a vested interest in the plug situation. They all however had witnessed the rude reply to my polite request so I think that immediately got them onside.

When he returned there was no doubt it was myself that disconnected his items, I had no doubt ensuring he knew it too. Far from shirking any outcome I tackled it head on....but first ensuring I had the support of the others to keep the lid on things. It worked a treat ^
hsmall likes this.

Last edited by BOH; Aug 29, 2018 at 3:36 pm
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:41 pm
BOH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
These type of threads are just forum fillers.
A fair number started by your good self I recall?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by nufnuf77

I think you overstepped as well. If you needed to charge you should find different place and not unplug other people’s devices.
And unplugging then all is just childish bordering on riff raff
Fully agree. Whilst the person hogging outlets sounds like he was being selfish (especially in BA lounges where the outlets are 50% working on a good day) - that doesn't give you the carte blanche to unplug his stuff. You waited for him to leave and then moved his gear around, which smacks of sneakiness. Why not discuss this with him f2f or ask the lounge staff to resolve, rather than do all this unplugging then brag about it on an internet forum. Man up.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by BOH
Indeed. But I guess it helps serve up even more ads in the browsers so this sort of empty nonsense is tolerated, perhaps encouraged, as it creates web traffic whilst in parallel maintains an echo chamber of a few people who have strange opinions about flying with BA despite doing so about 3 times per decade.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BOH
True....but my threads don't backfire on me.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:57 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
^
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:33 pm
BOH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bullroot
Fully agree. Whilst the person hogging outlets sounds like he was being selfish (especially in BA lounges where the outlets are 50% working on a good day) - that doesn't give you the carte blanche to unplug his stuff. You waited for him to leave and then moved his gear around, which smacks of sneakiness. Why not discuss this with him f2f or ask the lounge staff to resolve, rather than do all this unplugging then brag about it on an internet forum. Man up.
Read the whole thread, I did try and discuss it with him face-to-face and I stated earlier exactly why I did not involve the lounge staff. Plus the strategy worked perfectly, the sockets were freed up for the use of others ^

As for bragging about it, there are many DYKWIA posts and threads on here but the majority of them are simply a whine without anyone having taking any action. I think the term "man up" is for more apt for those people who simply sit around and do nothing.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:41 pm
BOH
Original Poster

Nor has this one, there is also plenty of support for the action taken. Most DYKWIA posts on this board are people simply winging and whining and not actually doing something about the situation. I would not hesitate to do the same again, the important thing is the selfish behaviour was stopped.

As someone rightly stated up-thread, too many people get away with similar displays of selfish behaviour because others do not react and simply sit back and do nothing. In this case the sockets were freed up and the culprit knew he was wrong because he simply scowled and went off.

Backfired? It doesn't seem so to me.
djbenedict likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:48 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
You can fool some of the people all of the time, all people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:42 am

I have made my feelings on your actions in this post quite clear earlier in the thread, clearly we have differing opinions which is fine and I wont dwell on this.

However, what is bothering me is the constant reference to this character as a DYKWIA. BA do not profess to offer charging sockets as part of their service in the lounges, it is just a convenience they offer on a first come, first served basis. The gentleman (I use the term loosely) is well within his right should he wish to use every socket in the lounge assuming they are available, unless there is some rule I am unaware of on the socket usage in the lounges?

As I mentioned before, the fact he does not relinquish one of the sockets for you when asked politely is purely a complete lack of common courtesy for fellow travellers, and would certainly frustrate me, but in my opinion he is not displaying any kind of unjustfified sense of entitlement.

Mrs Muffin Man is not a great flyer, and depending on metal there are certain seats that she prefers to occupy, else she can become ill on landing (unfortunately these are sometimes blocked for golds or bassinets). If we can not secure these seats, depending on how MrsMM is feeling, and the passenger(s) in those seats, we may ask the CC to ask them to swap....but should they say no, would it be ok if we jumped in their seats when we went to the loo?

To my mind the only DYKWIA in this scenario is you, thinking you are in any way entitled to use these sockets more than the character you mention, who despite being rude, is doing nothing wrong.

Just to clarify, my personal response to this situation having asked politely and gained the response you did would be to go elsewhere in the lounge to charge my devices and be thankful I am now sat well away from such an a**ehole.

Just my opinion,
The Muffin Man
sxc, Scots_Al, RobDBA and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by bullroot
Indeed. But I guess it helps serve up even more ads in the browsers so this sort of empty nonsense is tolerated, perhaps encouraged, as it creates web traffic whilst in parallel maintains an echo chamber of a few people who have strange opinions about flying with BA despite doing so about 3 times per decade.
Not all of us consider it empty nonsense but an interesting analysis of human behaviour, relevant to a forum of regular users of the facilities concerned. YMMV.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:56 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
That would be criminal damage.
so is jaywalking and speeding.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Prospero
We use the Myers Briggs assessment at my workplace. The results are fascinating and surprisingly accurate.

Personality type: “The Advocate” (INFJ-A)
Strategy: Confident Individualism
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.