Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Some Classic DYKWIA Behaviour in T5 North Galleries

Some Classic DYKWIA Behaviour in T5 North Galleries

Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:11 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by BOH
Yes I am thoroughly ashamed of myself for taking direct action (having first asked politely) to free up the sockets for more people to use rather than just himself. Would I give a FF if you had some "much sterner words to say" to me if I did it to you......ummmm no quite frankly. I would not hesitate to do the same again, hopefully this to$$er may just think twice next time...as I said he certainly skulked off rather embarrassed this time ^
Feeling quite entitled, aren't you?

Plenty of people here seem to think your actions were in poor form - myself included. Arguing your point isn't helping you.

You made a polite request. It was politely declined. That man didn't owe you sympathy.

And neither do we.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by BOH
Sat down this afternoon in one of those clusters of armchairs to the left of the BA Information Desk in T5 North Lounge. There are 5 (maybe 6) separate power outlets in the arm of a few of these chairs and this bloke in the widow of the cluster I sat in was using every single one. He was charging 2 phones, an I-Pad, a laptop and an electric shaver. Now not every chair has power outlets so I politely asked him to disconnect one....he refused saying, "no, sorry but I need to charge all my devices for my flight".
You should have said, "Oh, you should fly business class next time, they have power points on board, assuming it's long haul, which you must be on, to need so many gadgets to keep busy. My sincere commiseration for economy class travel"

He might have disconnected everything, pretending to be in J, if he's a real DYKWIA...

What I'd have done would have been to whip out a double adaptor and ask him if it's OK if I used my double adaptor and shared one of the power points that way (I'm a sad sod who travels with a double adaptor).
SKT-DK and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Has anyone considered contacting the BBC?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moral_Maze
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
USB charging sockets......information security nightmare!
Agreed!

PortPow a potential solution but wouldn't be used by most users 3rd Gen Data Blocker - PortaPow
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:51 am

That's also why I carry a power bar with USB sockets.

<rant>However, from a computer security and information privacy perspective in the grand scheme of things! Consider that you're likely connected public Wifi, have a webcam and microphone on most devices, to say nothing of shoulder surfing, removable media and other risks we take when computing in public. I chuckle when I see people put a piece of tape over their webcam since these people don't realize that even with a blocked webcam intruders can still sniff keystrokes and build a rudimentary image of you using your computer's microphone (and I doubt few people rip open their laptop to disable the mic!). That being said, it's good to see some computer companies **cough** Apple **cough** build information security into some of their products (i.e. making device encryption be on my default on iOS).</rant>

-James
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:52 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Passive Aggressive? A diploma in Psychology have we?
Pfffttt... An MSc in neural biochemistry actually.

Not that it’s really necessary to spot a simple passive aggressive act. Most people with any form of management responsibility encounter them daily.

What you might have missed however is the attempt to recruit other bystanders to join in his passive aggressive confrontation of what he dreamed a transgresser

This is not only an attempt to seek personal validation for his chosen course of action(as is his posting on this forum), but also an indication that he knew it was wrong and that he might face retribution or be confronted for those actions.

It’s a pre-emptive attempt to strengthen his hand and to secure protection in numbers who he thinks will back him in the event the individual confronts him or an authority figure is called in.

After all the solution to his problem could have been perfectly solved just unplugging and using one socket.

Care to argue that would have been a more mature action that would have tipped the balance of reasonable behavior in his favor?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

Passive Aggressive? A diploma in Psychology have we?

I cannot help but be saddened that from the safety of the anonymity of the Internet we can all be so holier than thou. ,

Quite what any of this has to do with British Airways is quite beyond me, other than that they sell tickets to travel to boorish selfish oafs as well as people who are a bit less self centered.

I would not have started such a thread unless , hopefully, I hoped that the charge point Hog might read it. Judging from some of the gracious responses, I’m not certain that it hasn’t.
There seems to be a hell of a lot of tetchy people flying BA nowadays.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
I normally pack an extension lead in my hand luggage. It gets some strange looks going through security but is handy as normally I want to charge my phone and laptop.

But I will only ever use 1 power socket
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Padmeister
I totally agree with the OP. He was being a total knob hogging all the power sockets to himself. Even politely asking him if he could use just one and him replying "no" who the hell does he think he is! I would have done the same as the OP or probably said some firm words to him; there is no need to hog all the ports to himself and then have the ordasity to say NO when asked to use just one of the power sockets.
I think I would have offered to lend him one of the outputs on the five output USB charger I always carry in may laptop bag. That would have sorted it out.

Actually if he were away I would have unplugged one of his devices which was charging through a USB output; connected my five output USB charger to the socket thereby vacated; put his one USB cable back in one of its five outputs; and used 1-4 of the remaining outputs for myself. If he complained I would be prepared to be quite forceful as he is not suffering one bit.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:21 am

I'm amazed that anyone is in any way condoning the actions of OP.

It is clear that the character in question was being unbelievably rude, but I think the actions of the OP are far worse.
sxc, Badenoch and nufnuf77 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I really don't want you to feel sorry for me at all. I'm not even sure why what I think should bother you so much that you feel sorry for me.

You simply did not have the right to touch any of his property no matter how justified you felt.
You should be thanking the OP for his sterling work avoiding a nasty health and safety issue.
the Twonk, err objectionable man had left the seat with six power ports plugged in.
If there had been an overcharge, a fire in the lion batteries, you would have left it for him to sort out?
The OP was saving the lounge from a potentially serious fire.
Well done that man!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
You can get a charge only cable.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Padmeister
Surely you are not serious? The top and bottom of it is that bloke was taking the piss! I can understand why the OP unplugged them! I don't think he was being childish at all....why should he go off looking for a free socket somewhere else when some inconsiderate sod is using 6 sockets at once for himself?
He was there first, there is no sharing of resources in the lounge.
dougzz likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by The Muffin Man
I'm amazed that anyone is in any way condoning the actions of OP.

It is clear that the character in question was being unbelievably rude, but I think the actions of the OP are far worse.
I completely agree. In fact I would call lounge manager/special services and lodge a complaint about such behaviour against the OP.
The Muffin Man likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:40 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I completely agree. In fact I would call lounge manager/special services and lodge a complaint about such behaviour against the OP.
To all those condoning my actions - I would not hesitate to do the same again in the face of such incredibly selfish behaviour. If a few more people took some direct (but non-confrontational) action, people would think twice about being so selfish. There was no confrontation on my part, I asked politely and actually I would say he refused in a confrontational and aggressive manner. Nobody else in that cluster of seats took offence at my action; rather the opposite in fact as they gladly took advantage of the now freed up sockets that were created.

As I said up-thread, next time I will do it on the "unattended items left" ticket and unplug them and take them straight to the Lounge staff as a security risk. Regardless of any unwritten rule that exists, leaving items unattended anywhere in an airport is not permitted so the Lounge staff must uphold this rule and give support. The result is the same.....the sockets will be freed up for the use of other guests.

So beware of hogging multiple power sockets in the Lounge if I am around. You may have to go and ask the Lounge staff for them back

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.