Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Some Classic DYKWIA Behaviour in T5 North Galleries

Some Classic DYKWIA Behaviour in T5 North Galleries

Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:31 pm
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77

I think you overstepped as well. If you needed to charge you should find different place and not unplug other people’s devices.
And unplugging then all is just childish bordering on riff raff
It got the result though after the polite request was met with a refusal. I unplugged them all because others also wanted to charge their devices, not to be childish.

Are you serious in that you think it should be me that found a different place to charge? Why?
cruisr and truncated like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Padmeister
I simply have a problem with the ordasity of this person! I would never do this myself; and just think bugger everyone else in the lounge I will hog all these available sockets to myself. Maybe I think of others too much
Totally agree with you as far as that goes. It's the solution that made me think twice. If you're willing to pull his cables at all, be willing to do it while he's there. I'm certain he won't like that anymore than he did coming back and finding them disconnected, but I think the most basic difference between the lounge and the gate - far more so than the amenities - is being able to leave your stuff unattended with the expectation that it'll be left alone while you're away. Let's not let a flaming **heel cause us to lose that.
Padmeister and laagima like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Appears to be a classic case of 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I would have thought that the same rules apply on the ground as in the air. If you are unhappy about what somebody else is doing, then report it to somebody in authority. Don't take the law into your own hands.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:12 pm
BOH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Agent69
Appears to be a classic case of 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I would have thought that the same rules apply on the ground as in the air. If you are unhappy about what somebody else is doing, then report it to somebody in authority. Don't take the law into your own hands.
Anyone have experience of reporting anti-social behaviour in the lounge and the staff taking some positive action? Am sure I have read on here that the lounge staff generally are disinterested or don't want to get involved - but I could be wrong though...
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Oh dear me. Yes the bloke was a tube. But it wasn’t anti-social behaviour that needed to be reported, it was inconsiderate.

Yes, polite etiquette would demand that he be more considerate and let others charge, but the bottom line is that he is no more or less “entitled” to use the sockets as he saw fit than anyone else. Personally I think unplugging all his stuff while his back was turned and encouraging others to do likewise was pretty boorish and entitled behaviour in itself.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Agree with the comments that the OP behaved pretty borishly. Not that I would ever use all the sockets like that, but if the OP touched my stuff whilst my back was turned I’d have had some much sterner words to say to him than it sounds like the gentleman in question did.

OP you should be ashamed of yourself for stooping to the same level of anti-social behaviour as that bloke.
laagima likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
It got the result though after the polite request was met with a refusal. I unplugged them all because others also wanted to charge their devices, not to be childish.

Are you serious in that you think it should be me that found a different place to charge? Why?
And if he was in a chair you wanted? You asked and he said no, as you say it was a request, he reasonably said no as he was using them. Why do you believe you have some entitlement to the sockets, he was there first and using them. I think you behaved poorly and acted the bully. You underline me, why? The DYKWIA behavior here is clearly you in my opinion.
Cheapskate22 and laagima like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dougzz
And if he was in a chair you wanted? You asked and he said no, as you say it was a request, he reasonably said no as he was using them. Why do you believe you have some entitlement to the sockets, he was there first and using them. I think you behaved poorly and acted the bully. You underline me, why? The DYKWIA behavior here is clearly you in my opinion.
Well if he'd spread his stuff over five chairs and there weren't any other seats in the lounge, yeah I'd be letting him choose which seat he wants to vacate.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:48 pm
BOH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheapskate22
Agree with the comments that the OP behaved pretty borishly. Not that I would ever use all the sockets like that, but if the OP touched my stuff whilst my back was turned I’d have had some much sterner words to say to him than it sounds like the gentleman in question did.

OP you should be ashamed of yourself for stooping to the same level of anti-social behaviour as that bloke.
Yes I am thoroughly ashamed of myself for taking direct action (having first asked politely) to free up the sockets for more people to use rather than just himself. Would I give a FF if you had some "much sterner words to say" to me if I did it to you......ummmm no quite frankly. I would not hesitate to do the same again, hopefully this to$$er may just think twice next time...as I said he certainly skulked off rather embarrassed this time ^
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:51 pm
BOH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dougzz
If he was in one chair, fair enough. If he was in five chairs so no others could use them and there were no other chairs available? So what would you do....stand in the lounge with everyone else and let the bloke occupy all five chairs???? I don't think so somehow - but it is a similar analogy you raised.

As for him saying "no" you think was a "reasonable" response. Seriously???
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I thought there are announcements all over the place to not have unattended items? Seems fair game to me to unplug items that are apparently abandoned. I'd have turned them into the lost and found.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
I’m with others in believeing that bad behaviour does not warrant retaliation of this kind. The guy was an idiot yes but I just don’t think we should be touching other people’s stuff left unattended.

If he’d taken the last five sausages from the buffet would you feel entitled to take 2 or 3 of them from his plate after you asked to have a couple and been refused? He would have been rude and inconsiderate to take all five remaining sausages but that doesn’t mean you are entitled to them...

it seems this guy took it relatively well but doing what you did risked causing a huge argument and tension in what is meant to be a peaceful environment - even if I thought I was entitled to an outlet I wouldn’t have risked that disruption to many more of my fellow lounge users by antagonising him in the way you did.
KeaneJohn and DeathSlam like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I thought there are announcements all over the place to not have unattended items? Seems fair game to me to unplug items that are apparently abandoned. I'd have turned them into the lost and found.
Really? When the owner had gone to the bathroom? Sounds a bit childish to me.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:25 pm
BOH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simons1
Really? When the owner had gone to the bathroom? Sounds a bit childish to me.
I didn't know where he went - I assumed it was either the loo or the food buffet. Yes, things should never be left unattended in an airport, we all surely know that. I didn't know how long he was going to be gone so it seemed fair game to make use of he sockets - to have been a childish reaction would have been to simply disconnect his items. But it was done so others can make use of what is supposed to be a resource for ANY lounge user, not just one person. There is a big difference to have merely disconnected or to disconnect so others can use something as a lounge benefit presumably for all lounge users?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:30 pm
BOH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Seems fair game to me to unplug items that are apparently abandoned. I'd have turned them into the lost and found.
Great idea - now that will be my strategy next time I think. And hugely defensible too (after all EVERYONE knows never to leave stuff unattended) so it can be done with 100% impunity too because it would be seen as highly public spirited. And if other pax jump in to use the suddenly liberated sockets then we have a completely unintended consequence too

Yes, that will undoubtedly be my course of action next time. Fantastic ^^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.