Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Some Classic DYKWIA Behaviour in T5 North Galleries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Classic DYKWIA Behaviour in T5 North Galleries

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond, UA 1K, AA EXP, Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
The reason why most people behave is because social norms ensure self-policing.

It doesn't seem crime of the century to unplug. You maybe match his lack of social etiquette, but worst come to worst they can be plugged back in.

Overall, it's just amusing. Dude should learn how to interact in society or at least be slightly embarrased and think twice next time.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Seems hardly a day goes by on this forum without someone posting a negative story about a fellow traveller.

I wonder why that should be?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I have to agree here 2 wrongs don’t make a right and the OP does look a bit on the childish side.

If I really wanted to charged my devices I’d have moved.. I’m taking it the lounge wasn’t rammed.

The lackmof working chargin points points is a big problem in the lounges. This should be fed back to customer services or BA on Twitter. It would be great to see a bank or two of the lockable charging cupboards that we can put our device in.

In GF I tend to go to the work zone st the back by the champagne bar near customer services and use one of the higher shelves to use two plugs to charge my iPhone and iPad so forgo a more comfortable seat.

I think demeanour in a situation can help.

I recently travelled on a busy Sunday afternoon train from the coast to London. There was one person taking up a seat with his luggage, I first asked him if he wouldn’t mind moving his luggage to the vestibule behind us (that would be visible) they said they wouldn’t be comfortable doing that, I then asked them if I could have their seat then on this packed train if they wanted to use one seat for the luggage. They agreed. I am glad that they did as I have no idea what my next move would have been.

Similarly in a busy lounge if a a group of 2 were taking up 6 seats on 3 sofas around a table I would have no hesitation in asking them firmly so others could hear which four of these six seats are not being used. This would hopefully discourage any resistance. A big cause of these issues is the layout/facilities of the lounges which isn’t great and needs to be fed back.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:39 pm

I'm surprised this ended with the guy quietly walking away. This has all the potential for words if not fists.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:54 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by BOH
Actually I don't think I was antisocial - you need to think Cause and Effect here and may be look at what was the cause of my having to take action? I had also asked him politely first. I feel sorry for you if you genuinely do not feel my action was justified.

I can't comment on how I would feel if the same happened to me because there is no way in a million years I would hog ALL the sockets in a bank when there were clearly others who wanted to use just one of them each. I really would not dream of such anti-social behaviour
You don't need to use all the sockets to know how to answer.

How would you feel if someone moved your things?

Sorry, I agree with those that say what you did was wrong.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Whilst he was anti social so were you. Actually I think you were the worst behaved.

How would you like it if other people came and moved or touched your stuff whilst you were getting some food and drink or went for a pee?

You wouldn't would you and I bet you'd even post on here about how your things were touched and how unacceptable it was.
I have to disagree with you here. One of my biggest pet peeves at lounges and on flights with power outlets are people who hog up all the outlets to recharge their various smart devices (i.e. phone, tablet, smartwatch, bluetooth headphones, laptop, battery pack, etc.). Look if you travel enough to warrant access to a lounge, the least you can do is pack a half decent power bar that has ample outlets and USB ports so that you use at most one outlet not an entire array of outlets like a madman! I find it appalling this DYKWIA fellow couldn't spare a couple of quid to acquire such a basic piece of travel gear.

Clearly, the gentleman who plugged all those devices in was the one not being courteous here.

Safe Travels,

James
hsmall and Padmeister like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by simons1
Really? When the owner had gone to the bathroom? Sounds a bit childish to me.
This.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
When this fellow arrived all of the sockets were not being used so he used them. I've done that myself. I would have perhaps surrendered one if asked nicely but would be under no obligation to laggards who showed up after me.

Unplugging all of his devices and inviting others to use the sockets was foolish and immature. Messing with people's possessions is a very good way to get slapped in the mouth.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:58 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Did everyone in the lounge clap and cheer when you did it?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:22 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Whilst he was anti social so were you. Actually I think you were the worst behaved.

How would you like it if other people came and moved or touched your stuff whilst you were getting some food and drink or went for a pee?

You wouldn't would you and I bet you'd even post on here about how your things were touched and how unacceptable it was.
Its severely passive aggressive...

And it’s amusing to see someone patting themselves on the back thinking they stood up for themselves when in fact what they did was the very opposite. Rather than face someone for being inconsiderate and trying to reason with them. You were pathetic and spineless, lurked until they went to piss and interfered with their stuff.

The problem with passive aggressive is sooner or later you’ll encounter someone aggressive... who may take your stuff, unplug and toss it away or call a staff member and accuse you of interfering, damaging or stealing their property and demand a report be filed.
wrp96 and Cheapskate22 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by amt
The problem with passive aggressive is sooner or later you’ll encounter someone aggressive... who may take your stuff, unplug and toss it away or call a staff member and accuse you of interfering, damaging or stealing their property and demand a report be filed.
So it's better to be outright aggressive than passive aggressive?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
So it's better to be outright aggressive than passive aggressive?
It’s better to not be aggressive at all. The OP raised the stakes when he acted passive aggressively (as opposed to the other chap who was just being rude). The risk (as others have said) is that someone else then reacts with actual aggressiveness .
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Cheapskate22

It’s better to not be aggressive at all. The OP raised the stakes when he acted passive aggressively (as opposed to the other chap who was just being rude). The risk (as others have said) is that someone else then reacts with actual aggressiveness .
Coincidentally, would it be considered good etiquette (and not passive aggressive) if he just connected a power bar to one of the outlets in question and reconnected the device that gent had plugged in there to the bar then connected his gadgets to the power bar?

-James
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Did everyone in the lounge clap and cheer when you did it?
Indeed - a modern day hero

Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:01 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by amt

Its severely passive aggressive...

And it’s amusing to see someone patting themselves on the back thinking they stood up for themselves when in fact what they did was the very opposite. Rather than face someone for being inconsiderate and trying to reason with them. You were pathetic and spineless, lurked until they went to piss and interfered with their stuff.

Passive Aggressive? A diploma in Psychology have we?

I cannot help but be saddened that from the safety of the anonymity of the Internet we can all be so holier than thou. ,

Quite what any of this has to do with British Airways is quite beyond me, other than that they sell tickets to travel to boorish selfish oafs as well as people who are a bit less self centered.

I would not have started such a thread unless , hopefully, I hoped that the charge point Hog might read it. Judging from some of the gracious responses, I’m not certain that it hasn’t.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.