Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad [hard] landing on BA2768 [LGW-JER]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:49 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Britflyer18
Any landing you walk away from is a good landing. We all have to start somewhere, in reference to your two striper. Maybe a gust of wind just before touchdown causing the aircraft to drop and cause a heavy landing. I would imagine in a blame/claim culture I’m sure you could claim. Personally the fact you needed to post on here about it kinda saddens me.
Exactly so. When I think of landings at Funchal, the old Kai Tak, and Gibraltar, it’s quite laughable. Once landing at FCO. Tthe wind changed at the last minute and we slammed onto the runway, bounced back into the air and bang again. I was astonished that the aircraft wasn’t damaged.

Our Captain said exactly that - a landing that you walk away from is a good landing. What I do find idiotic are these idiot applauding each and every landing as thought the Flightdeck could hear.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

Exactly so. When I think of landings at Funchal, the old Kai Tak, and Gibraltar, it’s quite laughable. Once landing at FCO. Tthe wind changed at the last minute and we slammed onto the runway, bounced back into the air and bang again. I was astonished that the aircraft wasn’t damaged.

Our Captain said exactly that - a landing that you walk away from is a good landing. What I do find idiotic are these idiot applauding each and every landing as thought the Flightdeck could hear.
The OP is musing over whether or not this was a landing he walked away from given back pain etc. I have pointed out there is a procedure to sort that and the answer offered was that he did walk away without needing medical treatment so that is that. "Bad landing" or any other pejorative or dismissive characterization has little to do with it, certainly not if compensation is the issue.

In the event someone actually is injured or the airplane is damaged and cannot be flown again without repair, that is not a "good landing." Possibility of damage to the airplane is also not trivial but there is procedure to sort that as well. Reply #11 covers this as well.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I defer to the pilots on here, but I can assume that the “hump” at the touchdown point (see Post #7 ) means that the runway tends to ‘jump up and hit you’ just as you flare after a nice stabilised approach.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:15 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by billyb750

Fortunately, I have never had a reason to put in a claim for compensation for such things, and I have never had a bag lost/destroyed. Suppose I should count myself lucky.
you are lucky
i count myself lucky cause an overseas flight from berlin to usa was delayed 5 hours, gave me more time to sleep in and enjoy berlin and got paid 600 euro to do so...so it depends
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:51 pm

Here is a landing five people walked away from, but I doubt it would be called "good." https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/...ts/AAR0002.pdf

This one was about the same but unfortunately there was no walking away https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedEx_Express_Flight_80 We had arrived at NRT only four days before that accident. Hard landings are no laughing matter though deficiencies in the MD11-F design were the main criticisms in the accident reports.

I don't think there is a record of injuries or fatalities to commercial passengers in the hard landing of a regularly scheduled passenger aircraft not associated with a pre-existing emergency and excluding some horrific short of runway landings, or runway excursion accidents. It is rightly pointed out that a "hard landing" may be the intended alternative to running off the runway. Here is a sample for the year 2012 involving substantial damage and/or fatalities. Of 30 accidents listed 5 are "hard landings" but none of those involved fatalities. Injuries are not listed.

Last edited by CALlegacy; Aug 27, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by CALlegacy
Here is a landing five people walked away from, but I doubt it would be called "good." https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/...ts/AAR0002.pdf

This one was about the same but unfortunately there was no walking away https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedEx_Express_Flight_80 We had arrived at NRT only four days before that accident. Hard landings are no laughing matter though deficiencies in the MD11-F design were the main criticisms in the accident reports.

I don't think there is a record of injuries or fatalities to commercial passengers in the hard landing of a regularly scheduled passenger aircraft not associated with a pre-existing emergency and excluding some horrific short of runway landings, or runway excursion accidents. It is rightly pointed out that a "hard landing" may be the intended alternative to running off the runway.
It is never required to do a hard landing to avoid running off the end of the runway. All landings, including those with failures etc are carried out after carrying out a landing distance check which takes in account the state of the runway, weather and aircraft. These figures are very good, I landed a TriStar with a flap failure where we expected to have 700 metres of runway remaining when we stopped. The ground run monitor read 810m when we actually stopped. There is never a requirement to land heavily in any of these situations, but there is no requirement for a greaser either.

It is is important to understand that for a pilot the landing manoeuvre includes the touchdown but it is much more than that. We emphasise on speed, in the right place, within the aircraft parameters using the correct technique. A smooth touchdown will result from all of these but it is not emphasised. A greaser where you have used up half the runway is not a good landing neither the is burying it at the piano keys.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
I defer to the pilots on here, but I can assume that the “hump” at the touchdown point (see Post #7 ) means that the runway tends to ‘jump up and hit you’ just as you flare after a nice stabilised approach.
Not as much as the cliff at the end of the runway. Just before Easter we used to do a short series of charters LGW-FAO-JER-LGW bringing hotel workers for the summer season in JER. It was okay with a 100 series B727 but when a 200 series was sent we always ensured the nose wheel brakes were serviceable on arrival at FAO. If not the Flight Engineer was kicked out to sort the problem. It certainly focused the mind in a turbulent crosswind.
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by CALlegacy
In the event someone actually is injured or the airplane is damaged and cannot be flown again without repair, that is not a "good landing." Possibility of damage to the airplane is also not trivial but there is procedure to sort that as well. Reply #11 covers this as well.
I imagine the passengers of BA38 might disagree with you. Even an emergency landing is a good one when the alternative is dropping out the sky.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:36 pm

If we are going to bang on about a good landing being one you walk away from can we at least use the full phrase.

A good landing is one you can walk away from, a great landing is one where you can use the aircraft again.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Meanwhile, were the passengers sitting sensibly? Seat upright (no leaning it back after the crew tell you to put it upright), seat belt low tight against the hips (so you're sitting back in the seat with your lower back against the seat rest), looking ahead, both feet on the floor, hands on your thighs, knees at 90 degrees or so? Take some hints from how the cabin crew sit.

If not, sit well and you'll have fewer back problems in life, whether in a landing aircraft or other times.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
If we are going to bang on about a good landing being one you walk away from can we at least use the full phrase.

A good landing is one you can walk away from, a great landing is one where you can use the aircraft again.
Wheee ... all my landings were GREAT!!

OK, gliders and puddle-jumpers, but it surely still counts?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:52 pm

There’s a programme on Channel 4 - Flying Across Britain with Arthur Williams. Arthur is a very engaging ex Marine with a real love of flying but he only started flying after he ended up in a wheel chair. He disproves the aphorism as he has, by his own words, never walked away from any of his landings.
T8191, wrp96 and S_W_S like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There’s a programme on Channel 4 - Flying Across Britain with Arthur Williams. Arthur is a very engaging ex Marine with a real love of flying but he only started flying after he ended up in a wheel chair. He disproves the aphorism as he has, by his own words, never walked away from any of his landings.
Yes, a good series, and he lands that Piper Cub very nicely too! OK, nice and slow, bit still needs handling as some of his crosswind shots showed!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:55 pm

A light tail dragger in a cross wind - he clearly has great handling skill
T8191 and rapidex like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:21 pm

It is never required to do a hard landing to avoid running off the end of the runway. All landings, including those with failures etc are carried out after carrying out a landing distance check which takes in account the state of the runway, weather and aircraft. These figures are very good, I landed a TriStar with a flap failure where we expected to have 700 metres of runway remaining when we stopped. The ground run monitor read 810m when we actually stopped. There is never a requirement to land heavily in any of these situations, but there is no requirement for a greaser either.

It is is important to understand that for a pilot the landing manoeuvre includes the touchdown but it is much more than that. We emphasise on speed, in the right place, within the aircraft parameters using the correct technique. A smooth touchdown will result from all of these but it is not emphasised. A greaser where you have used up half the runway is not a good landing neither the is burying it at the piano keys.
You are correct. That is why I put the words in quotes to indicate that an actual hard landing which puts large and damaging stresses on aircraft components or on the occupants is not a laughing matter. The glib comment that a landing you can walk away from is a good landing is absurd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.