OW sapphire seat selection - time

Old Aug 26, 18, 11:52 am
Original Poster

OW sapphire seat selection - time

Recently got AA Platinum(OW Sapphire)
Updated a BA flight booking (on Finnair MMB site to AA #)
How long should it take before I can select my seat for free.
Many thanks
Old Aug 26, 18, 11:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
No more than 24 hours, possibly sooner. I did this just last week and it processed overnight (USA time).
dave111 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 18, 11:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It should be no longer than overnight, if not 10 minutes, but there are all sorts of specifics on ticketing that can get in the way here. I would call up if you are close to departure and ask the contact centre to get you a seat.
dave111 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 18, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your help
will wait till tomorrow am than give a call.
Just didn't want ba blaming aa and vice versa

Last edited by dave111; Aug 26, 18 at 12:57 pm
Old Aug 26, 18, 12:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dave111 View Post
Just didn't want ba blaming as and vice versa
Is this an Alaska service?
dave111 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 18, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the typo.
i meant aa.
Old Aug 28, 18, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

after 2 phone calls eventually sorted.
cheers
Old Jan 30, 19, 7:24 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dave111 View Post
Updated a BA flight booking (on Finnair MMB site to AA #)
I am trying to use the Finnair site to change the frequent flyer numbers on an award booking made on ba.com with Avios, to facilitate seat selection. The process is not working, no error message, just doesn't update the record. I suspect this is because my passport expires before the trip, which is in November. Is there any other site to try, or way to have BAEC add an AA number to an award booking?
Old Jan 30, 19, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by mia View Post
I am trying to use the Finnair site to change the frequent flyer numbers on an award booking made on ba.com with Avios, to facilitate seat selection. The process is not working, no error message, just doesn't update the record. I suspect this is because my passport expires before the trip, which is in November. Is there any other site to try, or way to have BAEC add an AA number to an award booking?
I would be surprised if it was the passport complicating matters, but the best thing to do is to just ring up BA and get them to swap the number over. It may be the agent will also help you with seat selection at the same time.
Old Jan 30, 19, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
If it is an AA flight, I believe that American have stopped free seat selection even for elites when paying by AVIOS. Also, a couple of months ago the Finnair website stopped allowing you to change the FF number. It lets you go through the process, and retains your new FF# but does not override the BA number in the booking made on BA.COM. Boo!

If it is an AA flight and you call AA, you may get lucky and get an agent to override the FF#. I had the same issue on an AVIOS AA flight and the agent had to spend more than 5 minutes changing the FF# as the system would not let him do it the normal way.

Seems like the noose is always tightening on these "free" tickets.
Old Jan 30, 19, 11:25 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It is a BA flight. I only want to enter my AA number because I have OneWorld status through AA which will allow me to choose seats now with no fee. I know this still works because I did it, today, on another ticket.

In my (long ago) experience BA agents will resist entering an AAdvantage number on a BA award reservation.

Originally Posted by Furby View Post
If it is an AA flight, I believe that American have stopped free seat selection even for elites when paying by AVIOS. Also, a couple of months ago the Finnair website stopped allowing you to change the FF number. It lets you go through the process, and retains your new FF# but does not override the BA number in the booking made on BA.COM. Boo!

If it is an AA flight and you call AA, you may get lucky and get an agent to override the FF#. I had the same issue on an AVIOS AA flight and the agent had to spend more than 5 minutes changing the FF# as the system would not let him do it the normal way.

Seems like the noose is always tightening on these "free" tickets.
Old Jan 30, 19, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Furby View Post
If it is an AA flight, I believe that American have stopped free seat selection even for elites when paying by AVIOS.
First I've head of that. Not seen any posts on here or on the AA board on that subject and I'm sure there would be if it were the case.

Search this Thread