Upgrading agent-booked Y tickets?

Old Aug 25, 18, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Upgrading agent-booked Y tickets?

Situation: a third party company has booked some travel for me -- in Y fare class, so hopefully easier to upgrade than the discount fares that I'm usually on. However, of course I can't upgrade on ba.com because it's a travel agent booking, and I can't contact the travel agent because they don't work for me.

From reading the expert commentary on this forum, I believe there is some time period ahead of a flight where the booking passes to the airline/airport's control -- if I wait until T-24 or similar, can I ring up BA to do upgrades? Or do I need to wait until physically at airport?

Edit: One more detail, this appears to have been booked via American Airlines, even though it's all on BA metal and coming up in the BA app etc, not sure if that would also make a difference.
Old Aug 25, 18, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
cash or avios?

If avios rules can be found here Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition but if it's on an AA ticket you are out of luck anyway.

Cash you may get a POUG in MMB or see if there is an Airport Upgrade Promotion on the day at the airport.
Old Aug 25, 18, 4:56 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC Gold
all my work TA bookings I just call up the gold line and UuA
Old Aug 25, 18, 4:58 am
Original Poster

> cash or avios?

Cash.
Old Aug 25, 18, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Have just confirmed over phone that no cash or avios upgrade is possible at all, due to it being AA ticketed. Oh well, try again at the airport!
Anonba likes this.
Old Aug 25, 18, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
yes see if there are any AUPs available on the day.
Old Aug 25, 18, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
yes see if there are any AUPs available on the day.
Wont on an AA issued ticket
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 25, 18, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by technical_bob View Post
Have just confirmed over phone that no cash or avios upgrade is possible at all, due to it being AA ticketed. Oh well, try again at the airport!
If you contact either the travel agent or AA you will be able to upgrade BA wont as its not their ticket.
Old Aug 25, 18, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Anonba View Post

Wont on an AA issued ticket
I have AUP'd an AA issued ticket on BA metal (Premium Economy to Club World, JFK->LHR, did it at the First checkin counter) - no issue at all. Outside of the airport, you need to go to AA.
Old Aug 25, 18, 9:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I believe that if it is a public AA fare then AUP is OK, but POUGs you won't get, along with anything else that involves tampering with an AA issued ticket.
Old Aug 25, 18, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by abligh View Post
I have AUP'd an AA issued ticket on BA metal (Premium Economy to Club World, JFK->LHR, did it at the First checkin counter) - no issue at all. Outside of the airport, you need to go to AA.
Ditto, I've AUP'd BA and AA issued tickets many times without issue. OP should contact AA to see if they can do a partner upgrade mileage award. I was able to do it on a TA booking the one time I tried.
Old Aug 25, 18, 9:55 am

If you want to upgrade with cash (i.e. pay the fare difference yourself) then you might actually be in luck. BA refuse to touch travel agent bookings, however AA are not quite so squeamish. If you call up AA and say you have an AA ticketed booking that you want to upfare, then you should be quoted the difference in published fare between Y and whatever you want to upgrade to.

I've only ever done this on pure AA metal, so I can't vouch for codeshares, but it's worth a shot if that's what you were hoping to achieve. Caveat emptor if your employer finds out you changed a flexible Y ticket for an inflexible I class ticket though!
Old Aug 25, 18, 9:14 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
You can AUP on any airlines ticket stock at the airport for a BA operated flight as long as itís selling on that flight.

Old Aug 25, 18, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA *G, AA EXP
If it is an AA issued ticket on an AA codeshare, BA operated flight in the full-fare Y fare bucket then you should be able to upgrade using AAdvantage miles just by calling AA - they'll convert it to a BA prime flight in the process, but you'll get your upgrade for 25000 Advantage points each way.

If you don't have any AA miles, then look to see if you can transfer any hotel or credit card points to AA.
Old Aug 27, 18, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Reg
Same deal for me (company booked Y-class). It did work to call AA for help, however the only available ticket they had was a $10k First upgrade.... Hoping something will pop up for when check-in opens at T-24.

Search this Thread