FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Upgrading agent-booked Y tickets? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1927186-upgrading-agent-booked-y-tickets.html)

technical_bob Aug 25, 2018 4:36 am

Upgrading agent-booked Y tickets?

Situation: a third party company has booked some travel for me -- in Y fare class, so hopefully easier to upgrade than the discount fares that I'm usually on. However, of course I can't upgrade on ba.com because it's a travel agent booking, and I can't contact the travel agent because they don't work for me.

From reading the expert commentary on this forum, I believe there is some time period ahead of a flight where the booking passes to the airline/airport's control -- if I wait until T-24 or similar, can I ring up BA to do upgrades? Or do I need to wait until physically at airport?

Edit: One more detail, this appears to have been booked via American Airlines, even though it's all on BA metal and coming up in the BA app etc, not sure if that would also make a difference.

UKtravelbear Aug 25, 2018 4:47 am

cash or avios?

If avios rules can be found here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post29235586 but if it's on an AA ticket you are out of luck anyway.

Cash you may get a POUG in MMB or see if there is an Airport Upgrade Promotion on the day at the airport.

flylikelinz Aug 25, 2018 4:56 am

all my work TA bookings I just call up the gold line and UuA

technical_bob Aug 25, 2018 4:58 am

> cash or avios?

Cash.

technical_bob Aug 25, 2018 5:17 am

Have just confirmed over phone that no cash or avios upgrade is possible at all, due to it being AA ticketed. Oh well, try again at the airport!

UKtravelbear Aug 25, 2018 5:18 am

yes see if there are any AUPs available on the day.

Anonba Aug 25, 2018 8:26 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 30127735)
yes see if there are any AUPs available on the day.

Wont on an AA issued ticket

Anonba Aug 25, 2018 8:27 am

Originally Posted by technical_bob (Post 30127730)
Have just confirmed over phone that no cash or avios upgrade is possible at all, due to it being AA ticketed. Oh well, try again at the airport!

If you contact either the travel agent or AA you will be able to upgrade BA wont as its not their ticket.

abligh Aug 25, 2018 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Anonba (Post 30128128)

Wont on an AA issued ticket

I have AUP'd an AA issued ticket on BA metal (Premium Economy to Club World, JFK->LHR, did it at the First checkin counter) - no issue at all. Outside of the airport, you need to go to AA.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 25, 2018 9:39 am

I believe that if it is a public AA fare then AUP is OK, but POUGs you won't get, along with anything else that involves tampering with an AA issued ticket.

potus18 Aug 25, 2018 9:41 am

Originally Posted by abligh (Post 30128293)
I have AUP'd an AA issued ticket on BA metal (Premium Economy to Club World, JFK->LHR, did it at the First checkin counter) - no issue at all. Outside of the airport, you need to go to AA.

Ditto, I've AUP'd BA and AA issued tickets many times without issue. OP should contact AA to see if they can do a partner upgrade mileage award. I was able to do it on a TA booking the one time I tried.

spanishflea Aug 25, 2018 9:55 am

If you want to upgrade with cash (i.e. pay the fare difference yourself) then you might actually be in luck. BA refuse to touch travel agent bookings, however AA are not quite so squeamish. If you call up AA and say you have an AA ticketed booking that you want to upfare, then you should be quoted the difference in published fare between Y and whatever you want to upgrade to.

I've only ever done this on pure AA metal, so I can't vouch for codeshares, but it's worth a shot if that's what you were hoping to achieve. Caveat emptor if your employer finds out you changed a flexible Y ticket for an inflexible I class ticket though!

ThisIsntOM Aug 25, 2018 9:14 pm

You can AUP on any airlines ticket stock at the airport for a BA operated flight as long as it’s selling on that flight.

SeattleDavid Aug 25, 2018 10:34 pm

If it is an AA issued ticket on an AA codeshare, BA operated flight in the full-fare Y fare bucket then you should be able to upgrade using AAdvantage miles just by calling AA - they'll convert it to a BA prime flight in the process, but you'll get your upgrade for 25000 Advantage points each way.

If you don't have any AA miles, then look to see if you can transfer any hotel or credit card points to AA.

SmokeyTheBear Aug 27, 2018 9:28 am

Same deal for me (company booked Y-class). It did work to call AA for help, however the only available ticket they had was a $10k First upgrade.... Hoping something will pop up for when check-in opens at T-24.