FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   [Potential] Missed Connection [in Moscow]. What to expect? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1927102-potential-missed-connection-moscow-what-expect.html)

DuncanF Aug 24, 2018 1:22 pm

[Potential] Missed Connection [in Moscow]. What to expect?

I am flying LHR-DME-TAS shortly, BA then S7 on a single ticket. The layover is 1h10 and BA required 1h0 before issuing the ticket, so that is all good. I do not have a Russian visa as one is not required according to their transit rules. My question is what happens if my inbound is delayed? Not from the POV of BA/S7 sorting things out, but rather from the POV their limited options.

There are several later flights, but all have a Russian domestic stopover, so those are presumably not an option with no visa. The next S7 service is three days later. The only other direct flight in the 24h no-visa-required grace period for DME is with a non-partner airline (UZ Airways). But what happens if that has no availability and I'm now over the 24h grace period before I can get an onward sead. An interesting conundrum.

Often1 Aug 24, 2018 1:33 pm

As to ticketing, it is for BA to rebook you (the carrier causing the delay). However, to the extent that IRROPS causes a visa problem, it may be that you are denied entry / transit and are ordered to obtain a visa or are returned to LHR. The latter a potentially unpleasant experience with longer term consequences.

If facing your situation, there is absolutely no way that I would book a 1:10 connection.

DuncanF Aug 24, 2018 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30125826)
The latter a potentially unpleasant experience with longer term consequences.

As in future visa problems with the Russian Federation?

The UZ Airways flight has plenty of availability. Would BA re-route me via a non-partner airline if required?

Often1 Aug 24, 2018 2:37 pm

"Required" is not a good term. "Required" by whom?

If BA has an interline agreement, most likely. If not, then very unlikely as BA cannot simply issue, reissue or FIM your existing ticket to that carrier.

Nobody here knows for certain and nobody at BA will commit to this in advance. Thus, it is all about your personal risk tolerance for having something go seriously wrong with this trip and the consequences, if any, if it does,

golfmad Aug 24, 2018 2:51 pm

That's an interesting one. If you have no entry visa and end up having to wait three days, where do you go? I hope you have lounge access :) [joke].

CPH-Flyer Aug 24, 2018 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 30126089)
That's an interesting one. If you have no entry visa and end up having to wait three days, where do you go? I hope you have lounge access :) [joke].

Russia apparently has a rule that if you end with a more than 24 hour transit and don't have a visa they return the passenger to the country they came from.

golfmad Aug 24, 2018 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30126099)
Russia apparently has a rule that if you end with a more than 24 hour transit and don't have a visa they return the passenger to the country they came from.

Ok so given that it's one ticket, it could be a very long journey for the OP which could end up being LHR-DME-LHR-DME-TAS. Let's hope it doesn't happen. At least the costs would be borne by BA?

FinnRolo Aug 24, 2018 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 30126106)
it could be a very long journey for the OP which could end up being LHR-DME-LHR-DME-TAS.

Could be worth it for all the extra tier points.

Gig103 Aug 24, 2018 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by FinnRolo (Post 30126148)
Could be worth it for all the extra tier points.

And the EU261 payout.

wanderingjock Aug 24, 2018 4:44 pm

Have you seen the film, Terminal? Take a toothbrush with you! 😉

orbitmic Aug 24, 2018 7:24 pm

Is there a particular reason you want to take that route? I was on a LHR-SVO-TBS (single ticket, single airline) at some point last year and the SVO-TBS got cancelled once I was in Moscow. This is not fun. I spent the night on the airport floor (Russia won't let you access a landside hotel without a visa and the airside rooms are always full) and then asked SU to voluntarily fly me back to my point of departure for a trip in vain despite another flight existing the next day but a short delay on which could have meant a lot of trouble. TAS and DME are even worse because of the lack of connections, I would strongly recommend booking direct on Uzbekistan or if you prefer a legacy airline, TK via IST.

DuncanF Aug 25, 2018 1:58 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 30126814)
Is there a particular reason you want to take that route?

It's a redemption flight and the only routing that had availability.

Looking at the history the of the flight arrivals/departures I should be good. But from the replies here it's clear that I may have a whole bundle of fun to deal with if the inbound is delayed. All part of life's rich tapestry I guess!

ubiest Aug 25, 2018 11:53 am

Not sure if you have enough time before your flight, you might want to have a look at a Russian transit visa, as a low-cost insurance policy in case you did have a snafu. It would allow you to be rebooked on flights out of SVO or VKO as well.

You did not mention whether you are flying the same route on the return, if that were the case, getting the double-entry transit visa would cover you in the unlikely case of a double whammy, lightning strikes twice.

heartybob Aug 25, 2018 12:32 pm

If it looks likely before you leave London that you'll miss your connection and there's no reasonable alternative routing through MOW then you probably won't even be allowed to depart.

In that case BA should reroute you from London, but if I were you I'd be on my guard and make sure they don't just pack you off to MOW and leave you to the mercy of their representatives at DME.

scubaccr Aug 25, 2018 4:20 pm

If you had summer worldcup 'fan id' travel approved, Russia is giving extending fan-id visa free access until December