Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide Dogs On-Board

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:59 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Guide Dogs On-Board

Flew back to LHR last night, and there was a passenger with his Guide-Dog.

I've seen it in the US, but this was the first time I've ever seen a Guide-Dog onboard a BA flight.

I presume there are strict rules on boarding Support Animals?

M
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:04 pm

There's a lady on BAs Facebook page who always puts pics of her guide dog up travelling with BA 👍

I think she is maybe scandinavian.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...assistance-dog
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
travelling with assistance dogs

And these are proper accredited assistance dog not an 'emotional support animal' who will be in the hold
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is a BA staff member whose partner has a guide dog and I occasionally see them and their dog on the shorthaul travels. I think I've now done about 8 flights with this very well behaved CE passenger.

Doggy photos in the links!

guide dog on the A380... where to sit?

Guide Dog on SYD > SIN
smokie36 and msm2000uk like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
I was on an EDI-LHR once sat in 1F and as I boarded the CSD said there was a lady sat in 1D who had a guide dog - was I okay with that?

The dog was a lovely Alsatian and she sat as good as gold all the way in the space below 1E.

Talking to the lady I found out the dog’s name was Rebecca.

Two years later - I boarded a flight back to EDI - same seat, same conversation with the CSD.

After I sat down the lady said she hoped I didn’t mind her dog. I sai of course not it’s lovely to see you and Rebecca again!

Delighted I’d remembered the name of her dog.

I’m sure I wrote a blog about this somewhere.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL. HH Diamond. CC, SPG, MR Gold.
My wife has been waiting 17 months for her (first) Guide Dog. The wait in London for a first time applicant is now around 3 years.

We fly a fair amount for leisure, so had conversed with British Airways regarding flying with a GD as it's usually BA we fly with.

The rules are much more stringent than in the US, in that Emotional Support Animals are not recognised. For a Guide Dog you need to present a pet passport if travelling non-domestically, and also the registration card given by Guide Dogs for the blind. B.A. block a seat in economy or premium economy for the GD, and you can also bring any equipment/food for the dog in addition to your checked baggage allowance.

One thing we did have to discuss with both Heathrow and Gatwick was pet relief areas, as we do have a tendency to arrive at an airport early to ensure a calmer experience for both my wife, and I as it's me guiding her*, using the lounges. I found a leaflet from Heathrow airport online mentioning 'plentiful' places for Guide Dogs to relieve themselves airside. There are a plentiful number of 0, in T3 or T5. There is apparently one location in T2, landside. None in Gatwick, either.
Both airports eventually gave the same proposed resolution. They would collect us from the lounge, with a disability assistant agent, a cleaner, and a member of security staff, and take us to a gate with no plane. We'd take the dog outside, give it the command to do his or her business, and hope he/she plays along. Then stand around awkwardly whilst it's cleaned up and brought back in! Sounds good in theory, but it'll be interesting to see how quickly all of it will come together if we're in the lounge and the dog signals it's time to go...
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:00 am

BA have a regular traveler between the UK and SYD with his dog in F. The dog is extremely well behaved and does his business in a thing like a cat litter. There was a kindly captain that got in trouble with the boss one day after he offered to take a passengers guide dog outside to lift his leg on a stopover. Somebody took a photo from the spectators area of the Captain and guide dog, which of course made the press.

At least I only had a picture of the flight engineer chasing a rat out of F with the crash axe.
Worcester likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by mwp1
There's a lady on BAs Facebook page who always puts pics of her guide dog up travelling with BA 👍

I think she is maybe scandinavian.
The lady is called Inger and she has a beautiful guide dog called Billie.

A few years ago there was a regular domestic traveller with his guide dog and they both had BAEC Silver status - the guide dog was quite a celebrity on their travels and all the crew loved him.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Well-behaved dog.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: AC, VA, EY

I trained a guide dog a few years back who went with me on a domestic Aus flight. Qantas looked after us very well. Conincidently he failed and I now have him as a pet.
headingwest, T8191, Calum and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:07 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by LondonElite

Well-behaved dog.
I think that is the same dog that I saw at NCE, hence this thread.

The dog was beautifully kept, and very friendly towards some of the kids who came to say hi!

M
CosmosHuman likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is a BA staff member whose partner has a guide dog and I occasionally see them and their dog on the shorthaul travels. I think I've now done about 8 flights with this very well behaved CE passenger.l
Presumably while the two-legged passenger earns Avios the four-legged passenger earns Bonios.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Brighterside
The lady is called Inger and she has a beautiful guide dog called Billie.

A few years ago there was a regular domestic traveller with his guide dog and they both had BAEC Silver status - the guide dog was quite a celebrity on their travels and all the crew loved him.
thats her , inger 👍👌
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I think that is the same dog that I saw at NCE, hence this thread.

The dog was beautifully kept, and very friendly towards some of the kids who came to say hi!

M
That picture was taken early 2016. I’ll have to check where I was...extremely well-behaved dog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.