Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to BA flight numbers for IB services LHR-MAD

Old Aug 24, 18, 4:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

I suspect this is going to cause some queries. Currently IB's flights from T5 operate under BA numbers, since the Ready to Fly system that underpins T5's operations is linked into BA's flight numbers. I presume they've updated the systems so that dependency is removed, and so Iberia's departures from T5 will no operate under more conventional IB flight numbers. Below taken from Speedbird.
Changes to BA flight numbers operated by Iberia

24 Aug, 2018
Iberia operate a number of flights from London Heathrow Terminal 5 to Madrid. These flights operate with a BA flight number range of BA510 - BA524 and are treated as BA mainline services.

From Autumn 2018, these flights will no longer be sold as British Airways Prime and will be sold as a codeshare under a BA*IB flight number. The flights will continue to be operated by Iberia from Terminal 5, but as a result of this change there are a number of things that will impact existing customer bookings. On 23 August 2018, changes will be made to the BA524 flight operating between 1 March and 30 March 2019.

Following on from this all other flights will change on 11 September 2018 and we will issue a further update nearer the time.

Flight number change

The flight number will change in the PNR with the original flight showing as UN and the new flight number added as TK status

As this is only a flight number change rebooking and refund options under the standard customer guidelines will not be available.

Seating and baggage

Existing customers who have purchased pre-paid seating or pre-paid baggage on the flights will have this automatically refunded. If customers wish to re-purchase they should be referred to Iberia.

Any customer who had free seating allocated will be re-seated by Iberia as close to their original seat number as possible. Customers should check MMB to view their updated seat numbers. All other aspects, such as baggage allowance, lounge access, assistance or special meal requests will be honoured, and any Executive Club Tier Points and Avios will be earnt.

Flights operating after 31 March 2019 are already being sold as a BA*IB codeshare.
SpeedbirdLHR likes this.
Old Aug 24, 18, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
At least I guess it can't make the seat selection for BA/One World status holders any worse.

Regular trips to Madrid booked on BA numbers, without fail on the Iberia flights (I try and time for the A340 and today's return A350!) seat selection online impossible with IB, resulting in ringing BA to try and sort.
Old Aug 24, 18, 5:28 am

Programs: MSC (Miles Slut Club); Cunard- Diamond 300+; Princess- Elite 200+; RCCL- D Plus; QF LTG; CA P
Great news for oneworld Non-rev guest travellers.
Old Aug 24, 18, 6:09 am

ďAs this is only a flight number change rebooking and refund options under the standard customer guidelines will not be available.Ē

Surely the flights have been cancelled and replaced with others?
Old Aug 24, 18, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Originally Posted by richardwft View Post
ďAs this is only a flight number change rebooking and refund options under the standard customer guidelines will not be available.Ē

Surely the flights have been cancelled and replaced with others?
No. these are the same flights at the same time using the same planes and still operated by IB.
Old Aug 24, 18, 7:11 am

So flight number changes arenít really that important.
Old Aug 24, 18, 7:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by richardwft View Post
So flight number changes arenít really that important.
No, not in this case, same aircraft from the same airline leaving the same airport at the same time as advertised. As mentioned in post 1, the unusual BA flight numbers was just to get it through the computer when it was considered easier to do that than change the code.
richardwft likes this.
Old Aug 25, 18, 8:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Will this have any impact on CCR access for those who can enter with a CCR card? My understanding is that CCR access is only for those travelling on BA flights, which was not seen an issue in T5 despite these IB flights as always had BA number.

I’d be grateful if anybody could confirm this as I have an IB flight to MAD in October which will be impacted by these changes.
Old Aug 25, 18, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by madfish View Post
Will this have any impact on CCR access for those who can enter with a CCR card? My understanding is that CCR access is only for those travelling on BA flights, which was not seen an issue in T5 despite these IB flights as always had BA number.

Iíd be grateful if anybody could confirm this as I have an IB flight to MAD in October which will be impacted by these changes.
Youíve always been able to access the CCR when flying on any Oneworld carrier - even Iberia express or Cathay from JFK - if you have the right bit of non reflective plastic.
Old Aug 25, 18, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Let's see if anything changes with my KBP-LHR-MAD-LHR-KBP booked in J as BA883 / BA520 / BA7050 / BA882.

No problem with selecting seats on bacom for 883/882.

520 shows me the seat map on bacom, allows me to change seats, but throws a wobbly when I try to save. "Sorry, we are unable to process your request. Please contact your local British Airways office".

7050 sends me over to Iberia where the existing seat allocations are shown with the message "This flight does not permit seat selection".

What a pile of $hite.
Old Aug 25, 18, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I presume they've updated the systems so that dependency is removed, and so Iberia's departures from T5 will no operate under more conventional IB flight numbers.
I'm afraid this is not 100% correct. What's happening is that IB is introducing its own DCS system to handle its flights (handled by BA); a specific sub-set of BA staff will be trained in that system. I suppose they'll be the former IB handlers that the airline had back in the T3 days, those who were then TUPE'd across to BA. This is happening at the behest of Iberia and has required quite a lot of work.

T5's architecture is, from a system point of view, quite complex and integrated; I, for one, understand it only in minimal part but it all boiled down to that, in order for a flight to be "seen" - staff allocated to it to board, service it and so on and so forth, for the flight to be given a stand - it had to be considered as a BA flight, within the BA-mainline flight range, so that the BA flight scheduling system can "see it". This is, at least, my current understanding, I hope others will correct me if I'm wrong. Just to be clear, the flight scheduling system is not the DCS, whose end user GUI is FLY. Now, this dependency appears to be broken (how, I happily admit not to have a clue).

This is, in my humble opinion, fair for Iberia, whose staff passengers (both leisure and duty) had been trumped by us BA employees, and could potentially (please don't go sayin' I said so!) open up the door for more airlines to join in T5, especially in the event of a larger T5. How this might pan out is very much to be seen, and we're talking about something halfway between divination and science fiction today. I do remember JAL, after their bankruptcy, having an interest in T5 (we toured some JAL execs around back then), but the system limitation was, I was told, a deal breaker. Plus T3 got a modern Baggage system, JAL got more space for a lounge and the rest is history. But, who knows.

This is all my own opinion and is in no way BA's.
Old Aug 25, 18, 3:30 pm
Original Poster
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Thank you for that update, though I'm struggling to see how this benefits BA or IB, other than in respect of staff travel (which could have been handled manually if it was a big issue for duty travel).
Old Aug 25, 18, 3:38 pm

Thank you for that update, though I'm struggling to see how this benefits BA or IB, other than in respect of staff travel (which could have been handled manually if it was a big issue for duty travel).
In all honesty, I'm in your same boat. There might be improvements downroute in MAD for transfers, as the IATCI process might be easier, or there's something else I'm missing, or it's all politics. It might be useful as a proof of concept for HAL to add more airlines in T5, but considering that there isn't really a lot of slack... In fairness, when it comes to these systems, there's a lot that flies above my head. For instance, I've never quite gotten why Iberia, despite having previous experience (and a share!) in Amadeus, despite 1A being based in Madrid and despite VY using Navitaire, isn't, and doesn't seem to be wiling, to use Amadeus for its DCS.
Old Aug 25, 18, 3:56 pm

I'm told that IB are less than happy with BA handling at LHR, how true this is, I'm not sure, so maybe this something to do with the potential future outsourcing of ground handling at LHR.
The IB DCS system is a very old DOS based system which most airlines have moved away from now, but remains one of the most difficult to use.
Old Aug 25, 18, 5:57 pm

Brexit preparation?

It may be problematic in the future to have a flight under your name that is operated by a non-UK company with non-UK pilots & flight attendants
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: