Funchal FNC for BACF?

Old Aug 23, 18, 6:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Funchal FNC for BACF?

I was thinking if this could be a good route from maybe LCY or MAN or STN for the weekend downtime periods say Autumn to Spring. Madeira has some great hotels for a good CE holiday. Is FNC airport more difficult for E190SR take offs and landings?
Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Aug 23, 18 at 7:02 am
Old Aug 23, 18, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'd love this.

Slightly aside, what hotels would you recommend for a CE trip? Thinking about a bit of winter sun and a bucket load of tier points.
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer View Post
...Slightly aside, what hotels would you recommend for a CE trip?...,.
There are some big 5* modern hotels, large genteel, plush boutique, have a good browse of tripadvisor and Booking.com to get a feel for what is available and what you prefer.
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
We stayed in the Porto Mare - family suite - in June, and it was very good. Living room plus bedroom and two bath/shower rooms.
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
We're going to Funchal on 5th Sept to the Ocean Gardens - will report back then!
Old Aug 23, 18, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
We have stayed at Reid’s Palace a few times. If you have kids the facilities are fantastic. There is a shallow kid’s pool next to the kid’s club. It is very family friendly.
Old Aug 23, 18, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The Quinta da Casa Branca is excellent if you are looking for an adults only type of place.
Plus, please be aware that there is no lounge for BA passengers at Funchal.
GaxxyFlyer likes this.

Last edited by TheOldMan; Aug 23, 18 at 10:35 am Reason: Adding info
Old Aug 23, 18, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think that BA's LGW-FNC route already takes care of that traffic potential, not really sure it would have capacity for flights from an additional airport.
Old Aug 23, 18, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer View Post
I'd love this.

Slightly aside, what hotels would you recommend for a CE trip? Thinking about a bit of winter sun and a bucket load of tier points.
We stayed at Cliff Bay hotel at the beginning of this month. Definitely recommended; tier points are a bonus.
I have only been to Madeira once before, more than 40 years ago. The hotel "strip" - Estrada Monumentale - on which both Reids and Cliff Bay stand is a bit tacky in parts, but some good places to eat without having to go to the tourist trap places.
Several flights were cancelled on the day of our departure due to the crosswinds (including an EasyJet one from Gatwick) but our pilot made it in and out again.
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 23, 18, 12:27 pm

Programs: BAEC
At first I wasn't sure that the E-jet had a legs to get to FNC, but it seems it's well within range. I guess one reason for them not to start FNC is that it's a long sector (with plenty of chance of a diversion due to the terrible winds on approach), but also in the time it could do one FNC trip, the same plane could probably to 4 shorter sectors which would probably earn more, especially in the off season.
Old Aug 23, 18, 12:36 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by shefgab View Post
At first I wasn't sure that the E-jet had a legs to get to FNC, but it seems it's well within range. I guess one reason for them not to start FNC is that it's a long sector (with plenty of chance of a diversion due to the terrible winds on approach), but also in the time it could do one FNC trip, the same plane could probably to 4 shorter sectors which would probably earn more, especially in the off season.
Could it do it from LCY without blocking off several rows of seats?
Old Aug 23, 18, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post

Could it do it from LCY without blocking off several rows of seats?
A bit tight in winter, but the OP was suggesting a weekend service from MAN/STN etc.
Old Aug 23, 18, 1:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

In summer a BACF E190 does the following on Saturdays MAN-ALC-MAN-JMK-MAN, In the Autumn and Spring would a routing change to MAN-ALC-MAN-FNC or ACE-MAN be viable? Similarly for STN, the routing would be STN replaces MAN.

In the ski season the routing could be MAN-CMF-MAN-ACE-MAN and STN-CMF-STN-ACE-STN.

BTW Lanzarote ACE is the nearest Canary Islands airport to the UK.
Old Aug 23, 18, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by richardwft View Post
In summer a BACF E190 does the following on Saturdays MAN-ALC-MAN-JMK-MAN, In the Autumn and Spring would a routing change to MAN-ALC-MAN-FNC or ACE-MAN be viable? Similarly for STN, the routing would be STN replaces MAN.

In the ski season the routing could be MAN-CMF-MAN-ACE-MAN and STN-CMF-STN-ACE-STN.

BTW Lanzarote ACE is the nearest Canary Islands airport to the UK.
Would love this to happen providing there’s no flying between 00:00 and 06:00 like some of the other weekend CityFlyer schedules.

Beats schlepping back from Crawley International at midnight.
Old Aug 23, 18, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
Or as an alternative to FNC, how about PDL?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: