Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Tehran suspension [effective 23rd September 2018]

Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.

Mods please merge this this the 16 other threads i'm sure i've missed despite using your search function for the last 20 minutes:

British Airways has announced the suspension of services between London Heathrow (LHR) and Tehran (IKA).

The final BA153 LHR-IKA will depart on 22 September 2018, with the return BA152 IKA-LHR departing on 23 September 2018.

The following guidelines are available to assist our ticketed customers booked to travel after these dates.

Rebook onto any British Airways operated service between London (LHR) and Tehran (IKA) departing on or before 22 September 2018.

Rebook into the same class as original or the lowest class available in the same cabin.

Alternatively follow all rebooking or refund options from standard customer guidelines

We are in contact with several interline partners for a possible involuntary rebooking guideline onto their services. These will be published as received.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:16 am

I haven’t seen any other threads on this, you might be the first.

That is a shame: I remember @corporate-wage-slave doing a very interesting Trip Report a few years back when the route was inaugurated, and I’d hoped to visit at some point (not sure when). Do we know why this is being cut? A sign of geopolitical tensions and (or leading to) insufficient demand, I assume? Or just that the aircraft can be more profitably deployed elsewhere?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
That's a great pity, I was looking forward to visiting Iran at some point in the future
BERbound likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I bet the flow of business travel to Iran has almost stopped as no-one from Europe or USA can do any business there without risking vengeful, punitive action from the current American government.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:19 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
The route was re-launched after a period of 9 years (save for the final few months as a BD route following the takeover) in 2016.

Here's the thread started by c-w-s back then:
New Routes Review 2016 – London Heathrow (LHR) to Tehran (IKA)
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:30 am

Shame, but with the US situation and the steady collapse of the economy it seems inevitable.

With the rial devalued by almost half in a matter of months it must be impossible to sell tickets in Iran.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The route was re-launched after a period of 9 years (save for the final few months as a BD route following the takeover) in 2016.

Here's the thread started by c-w-s back then:
New Routes Review 2016 – London Heathrow (LHR) to Tehran (IKA)
Thanks, @NWIFlyer - I was going to say re-inaugurated but couldn’t find the thread easily on my mobile

Re-reading it now, it does make me sad it’s been suspended again.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Hugely disappointing but indeed inevitable, the factors involved being way outside the control of BA. I know some of the loads recently have been terrible. Realistically we will need to move out of sanctions, a new administration in Washington and towards easier visas in both directions for this to work. All of which is possible if not probable.
SKT-DK, ubiest, Worcester and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Any last-minute deals or TP runs?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:40 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ubiest
Any last-minute deals or TP runs?
Not sure, but would urge anyone considering a trip to Iran to think about the implications, particularly that this would invalidate any future use of the US Visa Waiver Program (with a few exceptions). As much as I would like to visit Iran, the hassle of having to get a visa for all future business or leisure trips to the US is enough to put me off for the time being.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Inevitable in current climate. It's a bit like Venezuela. There will be zero business travel from anywhere in Europe or the USA now, which means that there really is no business case at all. It's very sad, but that's geopolitics for you. By all accounts the situation is pretty dire, therefore it would not surprise me if carriers with more established Tehran links such as AF and LH also cut the route, or severely cut back capacity.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:30 am

It ultimately boils down to who is stronger, the US or EU. In this dispute, it seems US holds the clout. Total pulled out recently, BA now. AF will probably pull out completely soon.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Very sad to see another route suspension in this region. Hopefully it'll return in the near future.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I know some of the loads recently have been terrible.
Actually, from what i've heard the loads are fairly healthy. Yields are another matter though.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simons1
Shame, but with the US situation and the steady collapse of the economy it seems inevitable.

With the rial devalued by almost half in a matter of months it must be impossible to sell tickets in Iran.
An article in today's Washington Post supports your assessment and says AF and KL are doing the same thing.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by flatlander
I bet the flow of business travel to Iran has almost stopped as no-one from Europe or USA can do any business there without risking vengeful, punitive action from the current American government.
It's fine as long as you pick yourself up a second passport from HMPO

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.