Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

PHX>LHR 9hr in econ or PHX>DFW>LHR in Club for 13hr

Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

What would you pick if money was not an option but your time is valuable. PHX>LHR 9hr in Econ or +4more hours to fly PHX>DFW>LHR in Club which will be +13hr
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Direct flight of course. Get it over with and get to your destination as quickly as possible. Just my two cents...
Brisbane Road likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Club - my time is more valuable when I've slept.
frb98mf, Cymro and zafiragirl like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Why spend 9hrs in discomfort when you could spend 13hrs in relative comfort? Besides you may need more than 4hrs to get over the prececing 9hrs in economy, assuming you don't have an exit row.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Centurion
What would you pick if money was not an option...
​​​​​​Money is not an option? Huh?

Do you mean money is not an issue?

Because if money's not an issue, why would you not just buy Club on the nonstop flight?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Club - my time is more valuable when I've slept.
And when you’ve been earning extra tier points while you sleep @bisonrav
bisonrav and T8191 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
No brainer for me, I vote for Club. Those 4 hours are going to probably be spent sleeping, and then you gain the other perks like Fast Track at LHR and the lounges on your layover. Does DFW have a Flagship Lounge yet? The one in LAX is beautiful.

Bonus - if there is a schedule change you might be able to get into Club on the nonstop.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Obviously the PHX - DFW sector would be in domestic First on AA which isn't wonderful, and then you'd have DFW - LHR in Club. I would definitely consider Club but as others have said above if money is no object why not just book J from PHX - LHR instead? The DFW lounges are adequate. According to aa.com the Flagship Lounge in DFW is "coming soon"
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While time is money, there is a reason why people fly in premium cabins on long-haul. You will arrive better-rested and with quicker immigration and hopefully baggage.

The PHX-DFW hop is less than 2 hours flying time and domestic F is just fine with 2-2 seating unlike BA's CE with a blocked middle seat. You will have lounge access at DFW and by the time you make it from the aircraft to the lounge and then the lounge to the gate, you will only have roughly 3 hours in any event.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
BA’s DFW flight is a much earlier arrival which makes it harder to get rest and make best use of the bed.

What are the options via LAX, or on the later AA DFW-LHR flights?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss
BA’s DFW flight is a much earlier arrival which makes it harder to get rest and make best use of the bed.

What are the options via LAX, or on the later AA DFW-LHR flights?
If considering other PHX-xxx-LHR routes, I would throw SJC into the mix where BA flies a Dreamliner. Those are great when not in economy, IMO.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Well, my time is to some extent valuable (being 65, I am nearer the end than the beginning!), however I would personally go for the Club World via Dallas, rather than a lot of hours in an economy seat over the pond.

Now, I can get myself lost going 50 yards down a straight road, but even I find Dallas Airport very easy to navigate between the terminals airside - just get onto the Skylink train thing between the terminals. It is really fool (ie BM) proof, as it goes in a big circle round and round between the terminals (Yes, I did manage to travel the 'wrong way' round the circle the first time, however I got some very nice views of the airport and it was quite a pleasant way to spend 20 minutes of otherwise unproductive time before the lounge opened).

But as others have said, if money is no object, if you can fly Club World direct then why not? Unless you are on some sort of point collecting binge thing by flying an odd route or something?

BM
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
I would also choose the Club option. If time is valuable, you can try to be productive on the domestic sector. Most (if not all) AA planes have WiFi now (although the quality can be somewhat variable).
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
My vote goes for the Club option too - personally, there is no chance I would consider going in Y, and I think you will find that the extra four hours spent will pay off with interest in terms of your physical state on arrival.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Reasonably close to a choice I make 5 or 6 times a year. The aspect of the OP's equation that matters most to me is the arrival time into London and the ability to then do a full day's work. The direct flight(s) from PHX get into London too late for work and hence I'd go straight home after such an economy flight. Meanwhile there are several ex-PHX oneworld options 08:30am and earlier to 1 stop to London before 7:30am in J; classically via PHL or JFK scoring the extra TPs though neither really give a long enough transatlantic for me to get ideal sleep. Hence the via DFW routing in CW was my go to. That routing has now gone, with AA soon to be doing the early flight ex-DFW and BA moving to the last flight .... grrr.
Anyway, for me it has been turning out that Premium Economy thru LAS (into LGW at 09:25) is a choice I'll tolerate ... with the quid pro quo some of the other 'too late' annual quota of flights via LAX on the VS Dreamliner in PE. BA also have the A380 and Dreamliner via LAX which I'd consider in WT+ too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.