Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miracle onboard (safety video)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Miracle onboard (safety video)

Well, a nice gentleman who must be somewhere between 98 and 120 years old actually laughed distinctedly at (a single) one of the puns in the ghastly safety video. That brand of humour has at least one fan after all...
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Well, a nice gentleman who must be somewhere between 98 and 120 years old actually laughed distinctedly at (a single) one of the puns in the ghastly safety video. That brand of humour has at least one fan after all...
I tend to think I'm in the minority in not finding these things funny. When I look around people seem to find it funny (?).
I wonder what's wrong with them and then realise it must just me that has the problem.. pleased to see someone else who doesn't find them hilarious..
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
I tend to think I'm in the minority in not finding these things funny. When I look around people seem to find it funny (?).
I wonder what's wrong with them and then realise it must just me that has the problem.. pleased to see someone else who doesn't find them hilarious..
it’s not you!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Regardless of how bad people find them, I can't see BA investing vast sums of money on something that is s*** or celebrities associating themselves with it even if the pay was good.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I have to admit the current video, for me, is better than the first*, even if this time I don't know most of the involved actors.
However I preferred Sir Ian McKellen & Warwick Davis for the smoking and oxygen mask part.

*Ok, it doesn't take much to be better than that...
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I am reporting this post, for rudeness.

I am not that old.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
I see far more passengers paying attention to the video than with a manual safety demonstration. So in that respects the video is a success.
stewaran likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
I've just had someone laugh at some of the fringe worthy puns on the video on the LHR-ARN. At first I thought he was choking until I remembered this video has a "comedic" intent.

Personally I am looking forward to getting one of the NEO's to ensure I get a manual demo. So far this week out of 8 BA flights I've had 2 manual demos due to the video system not working (same aircraft B2B).
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
I think the fact that the safety video is not appreciated (or is considered asinine) by FT members is not relevant to its purpose. You guys are not the object. You guys are bright, intelligent regular flyers who know (or should know) the drill when it comes to the emergency situations outlined in the video. It's a mandatory requirement to have some kind of message and this format is, in my opinion, aimed at getting people who can't generally walk and chew gum at the same time, to pay attention to what is important. Look at what is on ITV on a Saturday evening and you will begin to understand what is considered popular and funny (and watchable) by a large section of our society.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser

I am not that old.
As in a case of lost wallet one claims, I want you to specify which one line you laughed at before I can attribute you the position. Think carefully!!
Globaliser likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Globaliser

I am not that old.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum
On my recent flight from LHR to HEL the FA told the passengers to pay attention to "our new and funny safety video". It was unlucky that the video wasn't working properly afterwards and we had a lot of disturbing noises throughout it. Might have killed the fun part.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
It's mildly funny once, maybe twice, but after a few times, I went into "cringe" mode. No longer funny.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The latest incarnation of the safety video has so many sexist insults and belittles the women in it so much that I loathe it. I frankly can’t understand how a 21st century corporation which wants to seem socially progressive and welcoming can have such a thing played to all customers on every transaction. Either BA has gone back to social attitudes of the 1980s and before, or some people in BA needs to be reassigned and retrained on social inclusion and how not to insult your customers.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
The latest incarnation of the safety video has so many sexist insults and belittles the women in it so much that I loathe it. I frankly can’t understand how a 21st century corporation which wants to seem socially progressive and welcoming can have such a thing played to all customers on every transaction. Either BA has gone back to social attitudes of the 1980s and before, or some people in BA needs to be reassigned and retrained on social inclusion and how not to insult your customers.
If you mean the Tea Lady bit that is making fun of the director making outdated assumptions, not sure how anyone could think he is saying that on purpose to belittle her and we are meant to be laughing with him? It’s clearly him who is the fool we are laughing at, not the ‘jokes’ he thinks he is telling.

I agree with others that this video, and the previous one, are doing exactly what they are meant to do. I hear laughter every time and far more people paying attention to it than any other safety demo, manual or video, that BA have ever had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.