Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miracle onboard (safety video)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
I think the fact that the safety video is not appreciated (or is considered asinine) by FT members is not relevant to its purpose. You guys are not the object. You guys are bright, intelligent regular flyers who know (or should know) the drill when it comes to the emergency situations outlined in the video. It's a mandatory requirement to have some kind of message and this format is, in my opinion, aimed at getting people who can't generally walk and chew gum at the same time, to pay attention to what is important. Look at what is on ITV on a Saturday evening and you will begin to understand what is considered popular and funny (and watchable) by a large section of our society.
I fully accept I am not the target audience, I do find some of the humour safety videos funny but not this series. Some of the better videos are QF, prefer the previous release showcasing destinations around Aus but current one is still good. There is humour but it is a bit more understated. With reference to Saturday night TV I am fortunate enough that I can currently watch NRL on channel 9 instead. What I do appreciate about this version is that they no longer refer to CW or First on short haul flughts, such a simple edit. The lack of which on the original version which showed the pour production standards. I think if they tightened up the video, employed better production standards (not money as I'm sure they spent quite a bit but it just doesn't seem like it) and applied quality control (ie carry out research, show slightly different versions (ie different brace position) a group of people and tnt hen ask questions to see if they see differences. Having had to create safety videos in an industry where people might be seeing the same induction video 5 times a week on different sites I know how difficult it can be but also have been able to achieve humour to achieve the desired effect.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobDBA

If you mean the Tea Lady bit that is making fun of the director making outdated assumptions, not sure how anyone could think he is saying that on purpose to belittle her and we are meant to be laughing with him? It’s clearly him who is the fool we are laughing at, not the ‘jokes’ he thinks he is telling.

I agree with others that this video, and the previous one, are doing exactly what they are meant to do. I hear laughter every time and far more people paying attention to it than any other safety demo, manual or video, that BA have ever had.
You are supposed to watch the SAFETY video and learn from it. You are not supposed to look at other 180 passengers and make notes that who laughed and then compare the number to the flight you took 2 years ago.

Epic failure for the video as it can not make you concentrated on the message.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
Originally Posted by Diver Boy
With reference to Saturday night TV .................
I cited ITV (in particular). There is plenty of quality viewing on offer on Saturday evening (to suit all tastes) but ITV is a legacy terrestrial broadcaster that provides popular light entertainment. I'm getting on in years but I still have recollections of Barrymore, Cilla, Little and Large et al. I think the current crop includes Ant and Dec or maybe even Jordan and Peter Andre (I'm guessing at this). I lost all interest when Bob Monkhouse disappeared from our screens!

Last edited by BrianWBrazil; Aug 28, 2018 at 11:25 am
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
I cited ITV (in particular). There is plenty of quality viewing on offer on Saturday evening (to suit all tastes) but ITV is a legacy terrestrial broadcaster that provides popular light entertainment. I'm getting on in years but I still have recollections of Barrymore, Cilla, Little and Large et al. I think the current crop includes Ant and Dec or maybe even Jordan and Peter Andre (I'm guessing at this). I lost all interest when Bob Monkhouse disappeared from our screens!
Please excuse the typo had meant ITV. I used to avoid watching Saturday nights on ITV before I moved overseas due to the deterioration of quality through the chasing of ratings for advertising revenue.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
Diver Boy, you should see what is on the telly in Brazil on a Saturday evening It's like the golden days of ITV, but on steroids!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:26 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by RobDBA
the Tea Lady bit that is making fun of the director making outdated assumptions, not sure how anyone could think he is saying that on purpose to belittle her and we are meant to be laughing with him?
Like "Till Death Us Do Part", framing it this way get both sides of the divide. Clever programming even if a little unsettling.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by chongcao
You are supposed to watch the SAFETY video and learn from it. You are not supposed to look at other 180 passengers and make notes that who laughed and then compare the number to the flight you took 2 years ago.

Epic failure for the video as it can not make you concentrated on the message.
Maybe I have super senses but I find it quite possible to hear and see things in my peripheral vision while looking at a small screen 5-15 feet away, especially when what I'm noticing is a sizable number of people near me looking in the same direction as I am. Also I take around 40 BA flights a year so probably could recite the old video by the time it changed, that gives me a little opportunity to notice what else is going on at the same time.

It would be interesting to see any research into these videos. My assumption is that even if they are watching it because it is funny/different more people will absorb more of the serious message than do when its a normal safety video or demo which is ignored by the vast majority. I might be wrong but at the end of the day the concept of learning through entertainment is not exactly wacko science...
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC
[QUOTE=BrianWBrazil;30135465 You guys are bright, intelligent [/QUOTE]
Flattery will get you everywhere!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:11 am

On my most recent flight (MAD-LHR) the gentleman seated next to me gleefully filmed the whole safety video on his phone.

I considered telling him about the existence of the internet, but thought that would spoil his fun.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nesbitt
On my most recent flight (MAD-LHR) the gentleman seated next to me gleefully filmed the whole safety video on his phone.

I considered telling him about the existence of the internet, but thought that would spoil his fun.
to be fair i think the version on BA's youtube channel is a more promotional version and is not exactly the same as the version onboard. I was guilty with the previous video of filming it onboard so I could upload that version.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I don't find them at all bad.

But my fav is the AA one where I am glued to the screen!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.