FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   NCL Lounge Access Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1926646-ncl-lounge-access-question.html)

dycc Aug 22, 2018 9:33 am

NCL Lounge Access Question

I have just encountered a situation at Newcastle - having arrived on the afternoon flight from London, I have a same day departing boarding pass for the evening flight (not a B2B). I wanted to access the BA lounge using my departing boarding pass for the same day evening flight (CE and Gold, so eligible for access).

I was asked by the lounge staff whether I had just arrived, and I said I had. I was then denied access to the BA lounge, saying that I had to go all the way round security and back in again, stating that this was their policy. Is this correct, as a B2B would (even though mine wasn't one), in principle, be in the same position?

I have done this trip with the same itinerary multiple times before but this was the first time I was challenged in this way.

madfish Aug 22, 2018 10:02 am

Think they are making up the rule. Although did notice recently a sign on the door saying lounge access is for departing passengers only. Not seen it before, so perhaps they have had some issues?

Geordie405 Aug 22, 2018 10:41 am

The sign on the door has been there for quite some time. I think the meaning is that - unlike LHR for example - it's simply not an Arrivals Lounge. However, I don't see why the OP should have been refused access, assuming of course that they planned on remaining in the lounge until their departing flight. I think that had they planned on popping into the lounge briefly to, say, print something and then to take the Metro into town for a meeting before coming back later then I can kind of see why they were refused access. However, you could equally be arriving into NCL as a domestic passenger on another airline and then departing on BA. So I agree with @madfish that this does sound very much like someone making up the rules. Imagine if you arrived at LHR from NCL before flying to INV and you had to go through arrivals and back through security. It would be carnage!

rapidex Aug 22, 2018 10:44 am

It is a departure lounge. If you have a boarding pass for same day departure you should have access. I would phone the Gold line in front of the dragon and complain.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 22, 2018 11:34 am

Originally Posted by dycc (Post 30115455)
I was asked by the lounge staff whether I had just arrived, and I said I had. I was then denied access to the BA lounge, saying that I had to go all the way round security and back in again, stating that this was their policy. Is this correct, as a B2B would (even though mine wasn't one), in principle, be in the same position?

I think this is incorrect too, plenty of B2B people have done this without issue. What I find really puzzling is how the agent would know? The agent sits with their back to the passenger flow, with a solid wall behind them and no line of sight. Usually the turn around is about 45 minutes or an hour, so at the same time people leave the aircraft people are arriving into the lounge for the departing service. And lovely though the NCL lounge staffers are, being blessed with ESP isn't something I had hitherto associated with them. Unless it was an extremely long lounge stay, that is......

tedcruz Aug 22, 2018 12:54 pm

My recent NCL experience is that the 'Dragons' just loked at my group number and wehn wanting to guest scanned my BP.

taranty Oct 16, 2022 6:47 am

Resurrecting an old thread, but couldn't find a definitive answer to this question and thought better this than creating a new thread. I'm doing Newcastle to Dublin tomorrow morning, booked with BA with a 125 ticket, operated by Aer Lingus (well, someone else on behalf of Aer Lingus), connecting to an AA operated flight to DFW. I'm silver, so wondering if this provides access to the Aspire lounge at NCL? As a related point I'm also wondering if I'm going to be able to take the usual wheely bag and personal item on board, or if a combination of different rules and size of lockers on the ATR will be an issue?

KARFA Oct 16, 2022 6:54 am

On lounge access at NCL the answer is no unfortunately.

corporate-wage-slave Oct 16, 2022 6:56 am

There won't be lounge access on that service, unless you have something like a Priority Pass card. The larger wheelies can be an issue on ATRs, but if necessary they will take the bag at the gate if it's too large.

taranty Oct 16, 2022 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 34684907)
On lounge access at NCL the answer is no unfortunately.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 34684910)
There won't be lounge access on that service, unless you have something like a Priority Pass card. The larger wheelies can be an issue on ATRs, but if necessary they will take the bag at the gate if it's too large.

Many thanks. It's a fairly compact wheely so hopefully will be ok, it would be rather irritating to be going through Dublin to make it quicker at the other end and then have to wait for hold luggage to turn up. Mind you, it appears to be impossible to check in for the flight to DFW anyway so the bag could be the least of my problems :)