Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Priority boarding when there is a bus from gate to plane.

Old Aug 22, 18, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Hi all,

As per the title, often the doors to the bus are only on one side, which means the priority passengers (e.g those in Groups 1-3) who get on the bus first, have to move right down inside the bus.

For the lower priority passengers who then fill up the bus last, and so are closest to the doors of the bus, when the bus arrives at the plane, this means they then board the plane first.

In such cases, particularly when you can see the bus from the gate area, why do some of priority passengers insist on charging through to the bus from the gate area?!

As a blue member myself, I am not complaining at the above behaviour, since me boarding last on the bus generally allows me to board the plane quickly. It does also generate all sorts of DYKWIA behaviour / huffs-and-puffs from the priority passengers when they realise on the bus they are destined to board the plane last! Anyone else realised/experienced this sort of thing (either as a priority/non-priority passenger)? 😀😀
orbitmic and Colnic2011 like this.
Old Aug 22, 18, 1:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Explorer/Flying Blue Petroleum Club
This happens in Helsinki, Its always a bus Journey over to the plane and sometimes the same on Arrival in Edinburgh.

When I was in Edinburgh 2 weeks ago I seen a guy have an absolute meltdown because he was gold and having to share a bus with group 4s and 5s. he made sure he was heard whilst on the phone (I was laughing inside)

Never seen any complainers in Helsinki as most people are used to it now I imagine.
clubeurope and billyb750 like this.
Old Aug 22, 18, 1:17 am

Only Golds and above should be allowed in the bus. All others should be made to sit on the roof, like in Bangladesh.
Old Aug 22, 18, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Maybe they should do like Easyjet does and put the elites in a cordoned section of the bus with a door that opens first when you get to the plane?
Old Aug 22, 18, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Silver, Emirates Silver Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by catandmouse View Post
Maybe they should do like Easyjet does and put the elites in a cordoned section of the bus with a door that opens first when you get to the plane?
They tried that at Catania only without letting the Group 1 off first. So group 1 got crammed down one small end of the bus for ages waiting for everyone else but then let off at the same time. Completely pointless. They had stopped it last time I visited.
Old Aug 22, 18, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by atcer28 View Post

They tried that at Catania only without letting the Group 1 off first. So group 1 got crammed down one small end of the bus for ages waiting for everyone else but then let off at the same time. Completely pointless. They had stopped it last time I visited.

Same at LGW recently with Easyjet, driver told Group 1's to go to the front of the bus as we'd be let off first - get to the plane and he opened all the doors at once.

I don't think i've ever been on an airport bus where there are only doors on one side, generally I find that you get off on the opposite side to where you get on, but it's not always the case and is a bit of a lottery.

Last edited by cosmo74; Aug 22, 18 at 3:33 am Reason: clarification that this was Easyjet
Old Aug 22, 18, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
The bus shuffle on arrival can be a PITA too. I came in from Jersey recently and we parked at a non-domestic gate so needed buses. The first bus quickly fills up with those of us at the front of the plane, then a second bus reverses into position and blocks us in. Stairs arrive at the back door and the 2nd bus fills with everyone from the back. We're trapped. The second bus heads off and we are still waiting. The final wheelchair passengers therefore have to use our bus which means we're stood there for perhaps 12 to 15 minutes before we can be driven the 50 meters to the domestic arrivals door. An excellent premium service. I know that bit is not BA, but as the customer they must have the power to mandate how the service works?
Old Aug 22, 18, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Alitalia Freccia Alata, 9 stamps on my Caffè Nero card.
I like the QR approach in Doha for the E bus gates.
Business passengers can just wait until everyone else in on the plan and then get there own (real business class bus) ride to the aircraft without the hassle.
Old Aug 22, 18, 3:45 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR, Marriott Ti, HH Diamond, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
I came in from AMS to T5 last week and although we landed at a gate and deplaned by jetbridge, we were sent downstairs onto a bus.

There were 3 buses and they did at least make some attempt to make sure the first one went with just CE pax on it. Not perfect, but they were clearly trying to make some kind of distinction.
Old Aug 22, 18, 3:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Keep it Riel View Post
The bus shuffle on arrival can be a PITA too. I came in from Jersey recently and we parked at a non-domestic gate so needed buses.
There are no domestic gates at LGW South, so all domestic and Ireland services involve a bus ride on arrival. That experience is a little unusual, I can normally assume doors open to rail station in under 15 minutes. Sometimes the first bus does leave first, often they both head off at the same time. The good news is that LGW is building domestic gates, I don't know when they will be enabled but my guess is in about a year from now.
Old Aug 22, 18, 6:49 am

When boarding via bus, get to the front of the bus, have always been first off then and always gotten a seat - at LHR anyway.
Old Aug 22, 18, 6:56 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
As a blue, I think all gates should be bused. It levels the playing field. It has the added advantage of annoying the few Group 1s who care about this stuff.
flatlander, LBA_flyer and 86BA7 like this.
Old Aug 22, 18, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
EasyJet at GVA has it sorted... You get on the bus from the rear doors on the right and when they pull up at the plane they open the front doors on the left and let everybody file off
Old Aug 22, 18, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404 View Post
There were 3 buses and they did at least make some attempt to make sure the first one went with just CE pax on it. Not perfect, but they were clearly trying to make some kind of distinction.
Used to be like that in LHR. Admittedly, I found it quite silly one time coming back from SVG and having a full size bus to myself as I was alone in Club, but I missed that service on yesterday's arrival from BLL due to economy on this particular departure having a very large number of unhappy toddlers…
Old Aug 22, 18, 7:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
The real frequent flyer will know which side the bus doors will open and position themselves accordingly. The HNL Golds can huff and puff simultaneously.

#lifefacts
kingstontoon and rlnnpt like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: