Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Next USA city?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Klm have an agreement with the oil companies that workers can get annual lounge access without status for a small fee.
Yup, they call it Flying Blue Petroleum.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
TAS? Especially now it is more open to tourism and NOT the US.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
There is a single attempt - to DUR.
I thought one of the flights to JNB was also a 787.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: travel
non US routes

There are so many non-US routes to explore
shefgab likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
There are so many non US routes I’d sooner see open...
Seconded!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
I thought one of the flights to JNB was also a 787.
Yes, BA051/050 4x a week from October 28th.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by BA0197
The trouble with a new USA route now is the lack of 788s BA has. Either it means they upgrade a current 788 service to something larger (BNA/MSY etc) or they have to launch the service with a 789 or 772. Me thinks the USA expansion is done for while and BA will be looking further afield. My best guesses for USA:

MCI (Kansas City)
PDX (Portland)
DTW (Detroit)
SLC (Salt Lake City)

Again I can't imagine any being started with anything but a 788.

I think it's time BA takes a look at some of their large holes in African Commonwealth countries:

DAR or ZNZ (Dar es Salaam or Zanzibar, Tanzania)
FNA (Freetown, Sierra Leone)
EBB (Entebbe, Uganda)
WDH (Windhoek, Namibia)
HRE (Harare, Zim)
BJL (Banjul, The Gambia) - An odd one but a coup with them rejoining the group and steal some traffic from Thomas Cook with BA Holidays
TUN (Tunis, Tunisia ;not Commonwealth, but a glaring hole for OW in general)

Not sure of the bilateral restrictions in these relationships, but it does rather surprise me that BA have been so keen to send the 788s on routes to the Americas without a single attempt for a 788 to Africa.
Would it not make sense to operate somewhere like Windhoek as an add on to one of the A380 services to JNB? There should be plenty of time for it to go backwards and forwards there during the long stopover.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by cosmo74
Would it not make sense to operate somewhere like Windhoek as an add on to one of the A380 services to JNB? There should be plenty of time for it to go backwards and forwards there during the long stopover.
Didn't know the A380 could go backwards. Good for all those unhappy with rear-facing seats in CW.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Albuquerque (ABQ) in New Mexico.

No other reason than one of my offspring and family live there, and it would save me having to change planes at ORD or DFW whenever I visit them.

BM
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by cosmo74
Wouldn't they need an extra set of flight crew to be able to do that because of crew hours restrictions ? Also I thought that they did a lot of maintenance during the long stop
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
I would, like others, also prefer more non-USA routes. In Asia BA serves 8 out of the top 10 busiest airports, but not Jakarta (but aren't there runway issues there?) and Guangzhou. I still think Havana and Bali (possibly with a stop off in Jakarta) are possible from Gatwick, and I would like to see more routes in China (even though Chengdu didn't work) such as Xi'an, Guangzhou or even Chongqing (not sure if any of these are China Eastern hubs for codeshare and connection opportunities), or even moving into Taipei or Osaka. I could also see Panama City starting. But no doubt the next long-haul route will be another USA destination.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Wouldn't they need an extra set of flight crew to be able to do that because of crew hours restrictions ? Also I thought that they did a lot of maintenance during the long stop
Yes, a complete second set of crew. Would extend the trip by at least a day on MF crew, possibly longer for flight deck. Unlikely to be viable economically, especially on the 380.

I don't think any significant maintenance is done during time on the ground in JNB. Just transit checks, essential maintenance, and possibly clearing of deferred defects if material and time is available.

Given the relatively quick turnarounds the A380 fleet get at the LHR end, it is unusual that despite the aircraft being on the ground for 10/12 hours the opportunity isn't being used for deep cleans, but just standard long-haul turn-round cleans.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Slightly OT, but I was surprised to see a 747 operating on the LHR-AUS route. It must be popular. It was a 788 last year when I flew there.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by mjh0
I don't think any significant maintenance is done during time on the ground in JNB. Just transit checks, essential maintenance, and possibly clearing of deferred defects if material and time is available.

Given the relatively quick turnarounds the A380 fleet get at the LHR end, it is unusual that despite the aircraft being on the ground for 10/12 hours the opportunity isn't being used for deep cleans, but just standard long-haul turn-round cleans.
No A380 maintenance takes place at JNB for any airline although like the cleaning I wonder why not. It does seem like a massive missed opportunity being repeated on a daily basis.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
It seems the minor US cities are much more likely due to subsidies, but agree with many here that Asia could use more routes, Osaka seems obvious (maybe BA could take on one of JAL's Tokyo routes to allow JAL to try a direct regional route to London?) and if I were BA I'd really be trying to get in on the Chinese market, even if those routes are not hugely profitable yet it's where the world's economy is moving towards....

It would also be good to see Vietnam, Indonesia and Taiwan. Maybe Vietnam and Indonesia (with a tag on to Bali) could be Gatters routes for the Monarch slots?

If it has to be the US then how about Boise? Idaho is growing faster than any other state apparently... http://thehill.com/opinion/finance/3...-feverish-pace
(I know - very unlikely but my company has an office there so might as well put it out there and you never know who might want to throw a subsidy at BA!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.