Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Next USA city?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by apollo00
I'm not at all surprised at the love for SJC and my experience is that in premium cabins, SJC is regularly more expensive than SFO already at some times of year (priced ex LHR anyway).

SJC is broadly a joy to fly into though - I suspect I'm driving away in my rental car before I'd even be out of the airport and on the AirTrain to the rental centre at SFO. Given equal driving time from either, I'd fly to SJC every time. It's a pretty well timed flight too in my view - slightly later than the second SFO rotation. I suspect it is something of a goldmine for BA given the loads I've seen and a lot of it is corporate travel (which is to be expected - anybody working for or with Google, Facebook, Apple or Netflix head offices for starters is going to find SJC *much* more convenient).

To be honest, I'd think if BA were looking at unnecessary alternatives then I've always struggled to understand the point of EWR...

Which raises a question - do BA have a slot for another NA route or would this be necessarily coming from removing something or reducing a frequency somewhere?
There’s a lot of point to EWR and hence why flights are almost always busy. It’s actually a much better option for public transport into NYC. 20 mins on the NJ transit and you’re at Penn Station. JFK is a real pain in comparison if you’re heading into Manhattan. Also serves a broad New Jersey market which is mostly covered by the Northern areas but throughout the state as well.

I’ve always thought BA cut a flight or two to JFK and add it to EWR actually. Friendliest staff you’ll meet on the East Coast too working there
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Silver
As for those asking about BWI, BA won’t cut this route as it’s being quite heavily subsidized. It’s also not a bad option into DC so has a dual purpose. Flown on it a couple of times and it’s been rammed on both occasions
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
As for those asking about BWI, BA won’t cut this route as it’s being quite heavily subsidized. It’s also not a bad option into DC so has a dual purpose. Flown on it a couple of times and it’s been rammed on both occasions
I was one of those, this is interesting thank you. Is the subsidy public, or insider knowledge?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Originally Posted by luitje
Yes, challenge is that BA will have to figure out a better value proposition than just wide network out of LHR to compete with DL. There are already 32 flights/week between MSP and two *S hubs in Europe (AMS & CDG); DL effectively taps a very large feeder network on both sides of the pond. That's pretty much what BA/AA does in ORD - a short (334 miles) hop from MSP. So, unless there's a huge untapped demand originating from MSP (although a large metropolitan area, it is actually # 14 in the US - smaller than SEA but larger than DEN) there is a slim chance BA will launch this service. And this demand has to be huge - margins won't be high, as DL will fight tooth and nail for TATL ex-MSP.
well the difference is the US 3 have multiple fortress Hubs across the USA. Whilst MSP isn't particularly a "goliath" it has a solid FF base (ex Northwest) which has meant DL has used it effectively and efficiently as a feeder hub. But it is a hub for them (of sorts) nonetheless. Given the geographic size of the UK and the failure of the EU3 to form single branded pan-EU networks, these carriers focus predominantly (though to a lesser extent with LH) on legacy hubs FRA CDG AMS MAD LHR for the bulf of their longhaul flying
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by dougzz

I was one of those, this is interesting thank you. Is the subsidy public, or insider knowledge?
I don’t think there is a subsidy but a revenue guarantee.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
most of these 'subsidies' relate to a discount on landing fees for a period and paying for marketing campaigns 'come visit XXX and fly on BA to get here' sort of thing.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flatlander
but hell will freeze over before the USA allows foreign competition on a route they think is domestic.
Is there anyone who thinks that ANC-HNL is not a domestic route?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Calchas
I'm sure Mr. Putin would offer a buy-back.

Incidentally, Anchorage is 150 miles nearer to London than New Orleans.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm sure Mr. Putin would offer a buy-back.

Incidentally, Anchorage is 150 miles nearer to London than New Orleans.
Going off topic but that was the plot of a Jeffrey Archer novel - there was a document that gave Russia the right to buy Alaska back by a certain time for the original price but said document had vanished ...
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dougzz

If taxpayer money is involved in the USA side, and it usually is at least in part because these things typically involve landing fee waivers, then there are assorted freedom of information/'sunshine' laws about public records that typically kick in if you know which bureaucracy to ask for the documents to be pulled from.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
most of these 'subsidies' relate to a discount on landing fees for a period and paying for marketing campaigns 'come visit XXX and fly on BA to get here' sort of thing.
More recent subsidies are in fact revenue "guarantees" aimed at getting an airline with a borderline view across the line - effectively supporting the early days of a new route until it gets established. Whilst a guarantee might be offered it is only drawn against should revenues miss airline/airport agreed threshold.

I will try to relocate a source that indicated (at least) one of BA's recent new US routes had established itself so quickly that the guarantee has not been drawn upon so far, and was unlikely to be drawn upon if the positive trend continued.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Where can you find average loads on a route? I'm curious about YYC-LHR
For the US BTS publishes this data albeit with a 6 months delay. Not sure if same is available for Canada.
Below is an example of BA's historical load factor ex-SJC
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Anchorage doesn’t feel like main stream US; Have yet to sample HNL !

Last edited by allturnleft; Aug 23, 2018 at 11:05 am
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:00 am

I think there's a good chance that BA quickly enter a new market in the US now that Tehran has been suspended. Slots to fill and all that...

Raleigh/Durham would be interesting. Could the complement or support AA there?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
The implication I got was the US would consider LHR-HNL with a tech stop in ANC a domestic route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.