Next USA city?

Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
BA can’t make Detroit work because of the Delta fortress hub, they’re certainly not going to make Minneapolis work
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
There is a single attempt - to DUR.
Absolutely correct, forgot about DUR.

At the same time its a thrice weekly service and it is to SA, where BA already serve quite well between it and Comair.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:09 pm

Looking at the map of the States it would have to be midwestish, with the exception of PDX the west coast is fairly well covered and the east coast has all of the major population and tourist hubs there.

As said it comes down to subsidy by the looks of it especially as it lessens the risk. Personally I think further destinations in Japan are worth exploring particularly as the rwc next year would make the routes start well.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA flew to TUN in the past and a number of underpriced fares from other carriers contingent upon BA interline feed on TUN-LON lie dormant, waiting for the route to be revived.

But BA dropped it back in 2011. Don’t think conditions have changed for the better since then.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cw novice
Looking at the map of the States it would have to be midwestish, with the exception of PDX the west coast is fairly well covered and the east coast has all of the major population and tourist hubs there.

As said it comes down to subsidy by the looks of it especially as it lessens the risk. Personally I think further destinations in Japan are worth exploring particularly as the rwc next year would make the routes start well.
Obvious one there is KIX. JL, BA’s joint venture partner on the trans-Siberian JV, did promise to start LHR-KIX a couple of years ago, but to my knowledge never got it off the ground.

The problem for BA out of Japan is that the local traffic strongly prefers Japanese carriers. So from BA’s perspective it is better to allow JL to take the slack and then profit off the codeshare.
Calum likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Minneapolis: I thought Delta flew there from London?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Minneapolis: I thought Delta flew there from London?
Yes, Delta Flights 10 and 11.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by rapidex
No one has mentioned SJU.
It would've been great if AA kept a hub there to connect to the Caribbean/Northern South America.

SJU is more latino-oriented thus having IB operate it is a logical choice.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, and others
SNA!!
- Greater LA, in Orange County)
- Hour south of LAX - without traffic. 2 hours with typical LA traffic)
- 1.5 hours from SAN
- in densely populated and quite wealthy Orange County
- already has CBP for Mexico flights

Pity is probably can’t support a 788 even with the take off noise restrictions relaxed.
Hydebear likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
SNA has a short runway, so not sure if wide bodies could make it. Then there is the take-off procedure where you shoot off the runway at full power and when you reach 1,000 feet, you cut power to reduce the noise of Newport Beach.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
You might be able to make Detroit work if it's offered as an alternate to the Flying Blue options to get to the Middle East. DTW-AMM on Oneworld partner Royal Jordinian is technically direct route that goes thatawaybut requires a refueling stop in Canada much of the year, and a decent number of people would probably prefer LHR to CDG (though not necessarily AMS) when connecting to that part of the world.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I'm not qualified to comment on other motives for introducing new services but, given the state of the Pound, now doesn't seem to be a great time to be introducing new leisure routes to the US.
ajamieson likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
There are so many non US routes I’d sooner see open...
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
Same here. Not in the US, but I’m still hoping BA reopen their route to Bergen before my shiny card expires in 2020. I never really forgave them for abandoning the route a month after I moved here.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by waffle
Same here. Not in the US, but I’m still hoping BA reopen their route to Bergen before my shiny card expires in 2020. I never really forgave them for abandoning the route a month after I moved here.
Slightly OT but my friend in bergen is certainly travelling more to SE Asia for oil work. However KLM seem to have monopolised the BGO market. Klm have an agreement with the oil companies that workers can get annual lounge access without status for a small fee.

Last edited by Cw novice; Aug 21, 2018 at 1:12 am Reason: To many quotes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.