Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Fresh Orange Juice Enhanced away LGW Flounge

Fresh Orange Juice Enhanced away LGW Flounge

Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
..... but much fresh orange juice comes from Florida (even if it is actually a mix of sources) - the suspicion is that the temporary interloper was mainly Spanish, which would have a more tart flavour.
It actually mainly comes from Brazil nowadays.

Higher land prices in Florida mean many of the orange growing areas are now housing estates for old people, and the hurricanes and frosts mean the weather isn't as it used to be.

I saw a youtube video on the very subject a few days ago. don't ask me how I came to be watching a video on orange growing, those late night Youtube sessions can end up in some very dark places!
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by subject2load
To my way of thinking the term “freshly squeezed” is invariably abused - even by a quality supermarket such as Waitrose, (let alone by the likes BA) which sells what it describes as “freshly-squeezed orange juice”.
European regulations restricts the term to 14 days from extraction to consumption by dint of the use by date.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
European regulations restricts the term to 14 days from extraction to consumption by dint of the use by date.
Our European legislators are of course sadly adept at creating many ill-conceived regulations.

If I were to hand a guest or friend a glass of orange juice, whilst announcing confidently that it was ‘freshly-squeezed’, any notion that I had in fact squeezed the oranges as far back as two weeks previously is - let’s be honest - somewhat laughable.

Food labelling in general is notorious for its capacity to mislead by playing fast & loose with terminology and description.

Last edited by subject2load; Aug 31, 2018 at 9:52 am
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: BA GGL
Restoration back to the previous supply is good. I don't drink much other than water, tea and juices (and don't touch alcohol) so wasn't best pleased with the change. Had a glass of the new stuff earlier this week and thought it tasted more like acid from concentrate.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by Beaulieu
Restoration back to the previous supply is good. I don't drink much other than water, tea and juices (and don't touch alcohol) so wasn't best pleased with the change. Had a glass of the new stuff earlier this week and thought it tasted more like acid from concentrate.

Well at least they were quicker to remedy this travesty quicker than they have with the new/old/ old/new CE catering so that's a step in the right direction at least.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I can shed some light on this, but the short version is they are now back to the previous fresh orange juice supply.

The replacement orange juice was also freshly squeezed, but there were quite a few complaints, and they are back to the previous fresh orange juice, presumably from Brakes. It was a bit of a mystery why it didn't taste right, the labelling indicated no preservatives and what-not, but much fresh orange juice comes from Florida (even if it is actually a mix of sources) - the suspicion is that the temporary interloper was mainly Spanish, which would have a more tart flavour.
Yes, the OJ i had last week in the GF lounge did remind me of the tart OJ I’ve previously enjoyed in Spanish hotels, which I actually prefer to sweeter varieties available in the UK. The more familiar OJ (with bits) was available in the T5B lounge though.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club

LGW GF back to regular orange juice. Overheard a fellow passenger complaining today to the staff who seemed to insist it was fresh - but for sure wasn’t fresh... is there a nation wide shortage of fresh orange juice again?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by mmogdan

LGW GF back to regular orange juice. Overheard a fellow passenger complaining today to the staff who seemed to insist it was fresh - but for sure wasn’t fresh... is there a nation wide shortage of fresh orange juice again?

No shortage of oranges - whether nationwide, or otherwise.

And as a world authority on such matters, I can exclusively reveal that with oranges comes the ability to produce freshly-squeezed orange juice. Who would have thunk it .....
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:21 am

My local Tesco has a juicing machine witha large hopper full of oranges, 3 sizes of bottles and as you open the tap,with a bottle underneath it whirrs into life and produces freshly squeezed orange juice. It would be nice is BA could source some of those for the lounges.
T8191 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The logistics of really 'freshly squeezed' was noted during our last Malta holiday. Yes, we had it at breakfast every day. The kitchen contained a large sack of the fruit, processed each morning to provide for the 10 covers in the Dining Room.

Now ... extrapolate that task to provide the genuine article for the hundreds who pass through the Lounges every day, and you are looking at a couple of employees constantly feeding oranges into the juicer, whilst drawing further stock from an almost literal skip-load of oranges. I can't see that working, somehow.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Now ... extrapolate that task to provide the genuine article for the hundreds who pass through the Lounges every day, and you are looking at a couple of employees constantly feeding oranges into the juicer, whilst drawing further stock from an almost literal skip-load of oranges. I can't see that working, somehow.
Not to mention actually getting the crates of fruit airside in the first place, with the requisite carrying and security screenings - both in and out. Frankly I’d rather they used a quality pre-bottled version and concentrated their efforts (excuse the poor choice of word there!) on other things.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:05 am

Oh well. That sounds like a lot of trouble.

I guess we need a much, much simpler (even if lower quality) solution.

Maybe BA’s catering managers could organise a system whereby they source the sort of fresh juice that comes ready-prepared, in cartons ? At least that way their valued F lounge users can be sure of getting their juice fix on a consistent basis.
Oh ..... hang on a minute ..... on second thoughts ...... I can’t see that working somehow.

Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mikebg
It's no good just posting here. Send an email to BA. If passengers don't complain they'll assume nobody minds.
I wouldn't bother - you just get the patronising cut and paste reply and nothing changes.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:19 am

The logistics of really 'freshly squeezed' was noted during our last Malta holiday. Yes, we had it at breakfast every day. The kitchen contained a large sack of the fruit, processed each morning to provide for the 10 covers in the Dining Room.

There are commercial juicers available, although they do cost money and would require cleaning.

Originally Posted by Confus

Not to mention actually getting the crates of fruit airside in the first place, with the requisite carrying and security screenings - both in and out. Frankly I’d rather they used a quality pre-bottled version and concentrated their efforts (excuse the poor choice of word there!) on other things.
I find that hard to believe, tons of fruit and veg go airside every week.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Being a glutton for punishment, I did check this out this morning, and the reports from last week are quite correct - they did serve concentrated orange juice due to the main freshly squeezed product being unavailable from the suppliers. The lounge manager suggested it really wasn't a great product even by concentrate standards, it almost sounds like they were serving Sunny Delight in Flounge. He said it looked quite pale too. They have now restored supplies from a third product described on its packaging as "fresh orange juce, not from concentrate", and that's what I had this morning. It's OK, though clearly not as good as the original product. If the original product comes back on supply, it will be restored to Flounge, this isn't an intended downgrade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.