Wiki Posts
Search

LHR - DAD (best routing)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
LHR - DAD (best routing)

Planning a trip to Da Nanag from London for a week or so and looking at the most convenient One World route and flight times being that a connection will have to made.

For the outbound flight, BA0031 to Hong Kong departing on a Thursday works well with CX5224 on the Friday, ultimately landing at DAD at 18:40.

The issue I am having is finding the best route back to London being that I ideally want to return the following Sunday ready for the office Monday morning.
The Cathay flight on Sunday leaves DAD 09:50 arriving into HKG at 12:45 which is not ideal for the returning BA0032 over 10 hours later however there is a HK Express flight which departs at 18:10 and arrives at 21:10 leaving me with a 2 hour transfer time.

Is the HK Express flight the best soution here? I have no idea of HK Express' punctuality and I don't particulaly want to miss my onward flight which wont be protected. On the flip side I don't particulalry fancy a 09:50 flight and lengthy connection.

Many thanks
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
If you just took CX all the way then on the way back you could connect onto the afternoon Cathay flight to London. Sleep in your own bed that night

2hrs is too risky for a separate ticket transfer
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
I'd agree with the sentiment that a 2 hour connection is too tight on separate tickets. I was in Asia last week and had a 4 hour connection in Manila. My inbound plane from Cebu was 2 1/4 hours late leaving due to bad weather in Manila and I only just made the flight to HK and hence my onward connection back to London.

I tend to be quite conservative and it saved me on this occasion but I plan to be extra careful on separate tickets in the future.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Thats a good point; CX253 departs at 14:40 arriving into LHR at 20:35 which only means a 1h 55m layover.
An added bonus of my own bed on Sunday night instead of trekking from T3 on Monday morning having had an inferior sleep
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Don't know how risk averse you are but Air Asia to KUL then onwards is a decent connection?

Bangkok Airways flight to BKK requires an overnight - always a good thing in Bangkok in my book.

Silk Air via SIN, VN via SEL, and VN via NRT - 5 hours connection to BA flights) all offer options to look at with not horrendous connections.

My experience of HK Express flights is reliability was shocking, reportedly slightly better in last year.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Many thanks Sam Bee for those suggestions. Hadn't previosly considered Air Asia to KL which as you mentioned, departs DAD at 12:35 with then a 7 hour connection before BA34 later that evening.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Frankly, you'd be a lot better off just booking a through ticket on VN than sticking to OW for Danang.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:04 am
Original Poster

You are probably right orbitmic however I want to burn some the avios I have just sitting on my BA account. I currently have almost 700k which need to be spent so was initially thinking BA F to/from HKG and then CX Business on the short hop to/from DAD.

Am tempted now between:

1. early Cathay flight from DAD to HKG followed by lunch a late lunch in Central before heading back to the airport for the later BA flight that evening
2. the same early Cathay flight from DAD followed by a CX daytime flight back to LHR
3. Air Asia from DAD to KUL followed by a 6 hour layover before BA34
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JPMND
You are probably right orbitmic however I want to burn some the avios I have just sitting on my BA account. I currently have almost 700k which need to be spent so was initially thinking BA F to/from HKG and then CX Business on the short hop to/from DAD.

Am tempted now between:

1. early Cathay flight from DAD to HKG followed by lunch a late lunch in Central before heading back to the airport for the later BA flight that evening
2. the same early Cathay flight from DAD followed by a CX daytime flight back to LHR
Makes sense. KUL would probably be the most logical route as you do not backtrack. That said, I like the CX daytime flight as you get much better service and food than the night one. Da Nang is a great place by the way, I like it a lot!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:40 am

Am tempted now between:

You can burn Avios on Cathay as well as BA.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

Am tempted now between:

I think Qatar announced DAD a while ago, but I probably won't plan my trip based on it.

Using Avios, I would burn it on CX J/F over BA J/F if possible. Any particular reason you prefer BA F to/from Hong Kong? I would probably take the CX250 out and CX253 back. Otherwise, you could also fly DAD-SIN and fly BA/QF back.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Not sure how it would work with regards to Avios, but Qatar do offer a DAD-SGN-DOH-LHR with smooth connections (first flight on VN), and get you into LHR on Monday for 06:35. I imagine the VN sector though would be a problem. There are earlier flights though - about 1 every 90 minutes if you wanted to spend a few hours in Ho Chi Minh before the late evening QR flight?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:05 am

Just a thought - why don't you consider flying to HAN or SGN then take the train to Da Nang? Its' a great trip and there's a sleeper service too.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:47 am
Suspended

Perhaps consider when you want to arrive back at LHR/LGW, at 5am ish or in the afternoon ish, do you want to avoid a night on the plane ? And then work back from there. I’d go for the Dreamliners (avoid economy), A350s and A380s on the routes. VN Dreamliners in PE are great for direct non-stop flights, I found great fares on Expedia.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Best routing to DAD? How about via MUM POP SON and SIS.
babats likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.