Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Passengers and security. Not always the best combination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers and security. Not always the best combination

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
At LHR you are allowed to keep shoes on with 3 exceptions: if they are boots style or seem to have high metal content; if there is a particular high status of alert (I don't think there has been one this year) and very occasionally one individual line has a training exercise on (e.g. new member of staff). I reckon on coming across this once a year, bearing in mind I use LHR security several hundred times a year. What may explain this is if your shoes are on the cusp of the first group, such as some Doc Martens (most of them through the WTMD fine).

I don't entirely recognise some of the descriptions above. I invite people on their next visit to Flight Connection security to have a look around them and watch traveller behaviour in a detached way. You will firstly notice a large quantity of pictograms and signs clearly stating what needs to be removed, notably liquids. When you see those going through Secondary they are invariably those with at least some liquid item they have left in the bag, despite all the signs, the warnings in Highlife, the messages on the transfer buses, the let-us-say assertive advice by HAL agents. I appreciate that in other airports there is a laissez-faire approach, but what happens at LHR is pretty much mirrored in CDG, BRU, AMS, FRA, Then watch the reaction of those who have lost items to security despite the rules not having changed significantly in 11 years. One gender tends to overdo the liquids, the other gender tends to kick off about their treatment. The HAL security team is huge, and there are one or two bad eggs in there. But generally they are more sinned against than sinners, some of the reaction from passengers is quite unacceptable. And I know that a lot of people simply try it on: they just don't expect to be caught.

Help is at hand, HAL is in trials of the AMS scanning equipment and software, which allows everything, including PCs and liquids, to stay in the bags. I don't think the trial has got to the passenger area of T5 yet, but apparently it will soon.
Just to add, I am at LHR about every week and have no issues passing security at all. I actually find the staff (fasttrack) always very kind and helpfull. But do not forget. travelers are already in a bit of stress and outside their comfort zone. The signs are very clear and in such way that everybody understands them. But that does not take away that people in their stress simply forget that they have a water bottle or other liquids in their bags.

Stress might be a huge factor at security lines. And some passengers really make a big issue about everything.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
My only question... what the heck does "visitised" mean?
I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering that.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
At LGW staff risk getting a strike if they consistently fail screening ( if they do it's all logged along with why). The number needed is quite high and strikes fairly rare but they do get issued from time to time & you can't have too many strikes against your name at any given time or you risk your airside pass. I dont know if HAL operate the same system but it might make staff more proactive in trying not to be some of the worst offenders as per previous comments.

Out of interest does anyone know if LTN still has the audacity to charge pax for their liquids bags? We try to avoid the place if at all possible but I remember flying out of there once several years ago and we used LGW bags ( which are also great as sandwich bags btw) and were told they weren't acceptable as they didn't meet DfT compliance. One of LTN's team leaders and the OH had a very interesting chat about that off in a corner when the chat was opened with "I dont think YOU know what you are talking about LOVE" by the LTN staff member. Suffice to say he returned looking quite sheepish & we were allowed to use the bags we'd brought with us. They must've made a fortune ripping pax off like that.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Out of interest does anyone know if LTN still has the audacity to charge pax for their liquids bags?
Not any more, though the free ones may not be there 100% of the time. Never had a problem at LTN using bags obtained at other airports, the only place this has happened to me was at LHR T3, where there used to be one individual who appeared to take great delight in such pointless things. Haven't seen him for quite a while, though I don't use T3 as often these days.

My entirely non-scientific observation is that LCY appears to send a greater share of bags for secondary screening than any other airport I use regularly.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by Seraglio
Just to add, I am at LHR about every week and have no issues passing security at all. I actually find the staff (fasttrack) always very kind and helpfull. But do not forget. travelers are already in a bit of stress and outside their comfort zone. The signs are very clear and in such way that everybody understands them. But that does not take away that people in their stress simply forget that they have a water bottle or other liquids in their bags.

Stress might be a huge factor at security lines. And some passengers really make a big issue about everything.
I think the LHR experience is particularly stressful because of the constant talking/nagging from the security staff. Nordic airports rarely have anyone berating the passengers as they queue/unload, and as a result I think are far less stressful to transit. Just approaching security in T3 or T5 (First Wing excluded) puts me on edge.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
It has always struck me as slightly surprising, given most airports' touchiness about photos around the security areas etc that south security is in such full view of the Galleries South lounge.

Like others, I've found the first wing staff to be generally excellent and pleasant, on the occasion I've had something pulled for secondary screening they've been efficient and pleasant and generally willing to chat. I've always thought it must be fairly extreme variation of traveller profile there between 'frequent traveller who knows the drill give or take country specifics' and 'DYKWIA the rules don't apply to me because I have an expensive ticket'
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:20 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
AMS has some of the newest scanners. At some points even laptops can stay in the bag.
Theoretically so can they stay in the bags at LHR. HAL brought in scanners that could do so some years ago but Department of Transport ruled that laptops/ipads/tablets still had to come out. For teh short period it was unnecessary, it did speed things up.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
My entirely non-scientific observation is that LCY appears to send a greater share of bags for secondary screening than any other airport I use regularly.
My non-scientific observation is MAN gets that award (T3 specifically). I hardly ever get secondary screening for anything anywhere in the world and when I do it's an oversight on my part usually or a genuine 'I can see how that might look weird on a scanner' thing. Yet I think it's more than 75% of the time there one of my bag gets pulled because I have a battery or a suspicious sandwich or something similarly generic. Given the length of the queues it seems others have the same issue.

Last time I made the mistake of, in frustration at waiting 20 minutes for my bag, pointing out that the exact same bag has been through JFK and LHR security within the last 24 hours, response: 'that's not Manchester though is it' and my entire bag being decanted for re-scanning. Managed to bite my tongue rather than agreeing it wasn't as they clearly had some idea how to do their job. I generally try to have some sympathy for the people doing what can't be an easy job and following rules set by others but MAN is the exception in my book, they seem to make the same rules more onerous than anywhere else in the UK and they're actively unpleasant about it too. /rant over
rossmacd, KARFA and Calchas like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Is now the time to make those unaware that powders are being considered for additional screening UK wide? IF, and I stress that discussion is ongoing, it is introduced there's a further debate on how to handle them. The liquids bags can be pretty much any shape/ configuration of dimensions you like but they have to stick to a specific volume so do you allow pax to place both powders & liquids in one bag ( can or can't this be done is argued) and would the bags be big enough if so( more a problem for the ladies but not one that can be ignored). Or are pax allowed one bag for liquids & one for powders with the inevitable confusion this will throw at pax some of whom after all these years still seem to struggle with exactly what is & isn't a "gel, liquid or paste"
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And then the real fun started when she appearantly was asked to take her shoes of.

it was a fun to watch DKNWIA moment and it took her almost 15 minutes before she realised that she was not gonna make her flight without having taking her shoes of and be visitised.
A bit unfair to enjoy a laugh at a stranger’s expense. Outside of the frequent traveller context, a lot of people, particularly women unfortunately, may have good reason to find a hand search to be an unpleasant prospect.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Last week in T5 first wing had to be the worst passenger ever in front of me. On her phone the whole time, had her liquids in a bag that had split open so wouldn't pass. Grunted when the screener pointed this out, so the screener went to get a new bag, then couldn't fit everything in it. Pax completely oblivious to holding up the queue, being rude to the screener trying to help. Eventually the screener was able to get her to pay some attention, she discarded a vial and moved on. Meanwhile, I was suggesting to people joining the queue on my side that they should use the other side... myself being captive of the tray having been sent forward. What a mess. Staff 10 points. Passenger 0 - definite DYKWIA nominee.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by gormless
... had her liquids in a bag that had split open so wouldn't pass....
Funny, last June in T5 I sent my liquid bag through with items sticking out of it (would not close) and it passed through. Guess I was lucky.

As far as the pat down goes, it's like those procedures you have to endure at the annual physical -- don't chat with me about it, just get it over, please.

It does seem that the secondary search people glory in going slowly, excruciatingly unwinding each cord, announcing that passengers will miss their flights if they leave anything unauthorized in their bags - there being a 45 minute wait, etc. I try hard to get through without a secondary search.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by KARFA

laptops always come out.
I've had a kindle defined as a laptop and got sent to secondary for leaving it in a bag.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by gormless
Last week in T5 first wing had to be the worst passenger ever in front of me. On her phone the whole time, had her liquids in a bag that had split open so wouldn't pass. Grunted when the screener pointed this out, so the screener went to get a new bag, then couldn't fit everything in it. Pax completely oblivious to holding up the queue, being rude to the screener trying to help. Eventually the screener was able to get her to pay some attention, she discarded a vial and moved on. Meanwhile, I was suggesting to people joining the queue on my side that they should use the other side... myself being captive of the tray having been sent forward. What a mess. Staff 10 points. Passenger 0 - definite DYKWIA nominee.
She still has way to go to meet the hapless person I was stuck behind at LHR T3 a month ago. Went through set off the scanner, came back took off watch, went through set off scanner, came back took off 2nd watch, went through set off scanner, came back took off belt, went through set off scanner, came back took phone out of pocket, went through set off scanner, came back took 2nd phone out of another pocket, went through set off scanner, came back and out money Inc coins from pocket (throughout security were really patient and asking have you got on a belt, money in pockets, a phone etc each time). They went back through and set off the scanner again came back and took more coins out of another pocket with the classic " I thought you only meant UK money".

At that point security took pity on me and let me through so I don't know what else they still had stashed in their pockets.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:00 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
given that the same security procedures are NOT repeated at so many countires in the world, i would say this is DYKWIA at the airports part.
shame on HAL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.