Same Day Change - Avios ticket

Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Same Day Change - Avios ticket

Just called in to use the SDC for my business avios flight today and was told that “we have never heard of SDC, and while this may be possible on a cash ticket, we are not trained for cash bookings and it certainly doesn’t exist for reward bookings”

just as a sanity check, is this true? Any reason why?

can anyone report of success/failure of asking for the SDC at the check in desk on a reward booking - there shud be space on the flight I want to go on as Ba is still selling (cash) tickets for this.

Its not a biggie if not, would just like to take a flight 90 minus earlier back to London today - from BA463 to BA461...

especially after on my outbound flight to Madrid yesterday I got the 777 and was seated in the first cabin - the 461 today would be 777 again while 463 is 321...

thanks for reporting on any success stories of this
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
There is no same day free change on award tickets in any case. In fact, theoretically, you cannot change them less than 24hrs before departure (even though exceptions can be made) so in fact it should even be impossible when there are award seats if agent sticks to the rule. Same day flight change is not an attribute of C as a cabin, not even of short haul C: if you book a cash C ticket with a connection for instance, there will be no same day change. It is, instead, an attribute of a class of fares (just like economy flex) which has no bearing on the conditions of award tickets.

success changing at the counter (outside of irrops) will i suspect be close to 0 as they are not supposed to touch award bookings and should instruct you to call BAEC. I think it's a better use of your time to relax in the lounge than to queue almost certainly for nothing.
Anonba likes this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Aug 19, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The rules on changes to Avios bookings haven't changed recently, whereas SDC is relatively new. What you could have done, for £35 if not GGL or Premier, is switched service before T-24, but not after. Or made another booking if that was a viable use of resources. Within 24 hours the original booking is fairly inflexible.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcgol
can anyone report of success/failure of asking for the SDC at the check in desk on a reward booking - there shud be space on the flight I want to go on as Ba is still selling (cash) tickets for this.
At LHR, unlikely. Elsewhere, quite possible. Also ask in the lounge if there is a BA-run lounge.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Does SDC apply to CE, even on cash tickets? I thought it was just ET cash tickets but stand to be corrected.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Mike P
Does SDC apply to CE, even on cash tickets? I thought it was just ET cash tickets but stand to be corrected.
No, it's been introduced on point to point CE for a while.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:14 am

OK thanks, that's useful to know.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks guys,

so far no luck...

even just went to the wrong “part” of the terminal. Was let through security and everything fine but after I couldn’t find the lounge and asked someone told me I was wrong... so making my way to the right part of this terminal now... then last chance will to ask in the lounge and see what they say...

interestingly the ticketing desk didn’t even want to quote me a price when I said I would be willing to pay cash for the change... he didn’t even quote me the full fare new ticket price. Just said “not possible”.

Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Mike P
OK thanks, that's useful to know.
Yes! My guess is that CE customers had become loudly unhappy that ET customers paying much lower fares would be allowed same day changes that they were refused without a fee. Given the importance of flexibility to the corporate market, I think BA had to fix that quickly or see the rare companies which still book short haul CE massively downbuy!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:31 am

That makes a lot of sense and I did think it was slightly odd that cheaper ET tickets had this greater level of flexibility but not more expensive CE tickets. That's something I might well be able to make use of on occasion in future.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by mcgol
interestingly the ticketing desk didn’t even want to quote me a price when I said I would be willing to pay cash for the change... he didn’t even quote me the full fare new ticket price. Just said “not possible”.
It's not that he didn't want, He was absolutely correct, an avios ticket can't just be "changed" for cash, let alone at a time when it is no longer eligible. So yes, you could buy an entirely new ticket but that's not a change, and if that is what you want, quite frankly, you are best off doing it online to avoid paying the exorbitant ticket desk fees.

The lounge will say no too.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
I keep finding the fact that Avios RFS have the same checked baggage allowance as the Plus fares but no SDC very confusing! I can never remember if I booked the plus fare, basic or a RFS and have been caught out before.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
I keep finding the fact that Avios RFS have the same checked baggage allowance as the Plus fares but no SDC very confusing! I can never remember if I booked the plus fare, basic or a RFS and have been caught out before.
If it's a straightforward single or return, then go to MMB (or select Manage My Booking on the App in Manage My Flight). Under the flight line the Baggage entry will clearly show "Hand baggage only" with a red line through the bag. This can only be a revenue Basic fare, no SDC.

If there is a baggage allowance but no TPs or Avios then it's an RFS / redemption. No SDC.

Baggage allowance and tier points = Plus fare and SDC.

The oddity in this is UuA, since it will come up with TPs and Avios (which may or may not be accurate), baggage allowance, but no SDC. However in that specific example, the selling class - visible in "More flight information" - will be U.
MaxFlyer and EDDLEGLL like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Cheers for that clarification. I actually never opened the "more flight information" dialogue..

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The oddity in this is UuA, since it will come up with TPs and Avios (which may or may not be accurate), baggage allowance, but no SDC. However in that specific example, the selling class - visible in "More flight information" - will be U.
Would you also happen to know if there is SDC when I accept a (cash) POUG on an Avios booking? I never used to get these but, in recent months, they appear quite frequently and I sometimes accept them on the return to LHR for a bit of a treat. SDC would make those even more compelling.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
Would you also happen to know if there is SDC when I accept a (cash) POUG on an Avios booking? I never used to get these but, in recent months, they appear quite frequently and I sometimes accept them on the return to LHR for a bit of a treat. SDC would make those even more compelling.
No, you wouldn't be able to SDC in that scenario. Your best bet would be to hold off on the POUG until T-24. Before that if there is Avios availability then you can change flight for the £35 fee, after that your Avios booking is totally inflexible anyway, so adding the POUG makes no difference. If you had a POUG on a revenue Plus ticket it's also without SDC, however at least in theory you can reverse the POUG (no refund) and then do an SDC. However I suspect the computer will say no anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.