Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sorry GGL on a Full-Flex J Ticket - Your Delay is Under 5 Hours We Wouldn’t Help You

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sorry GGL on a Full-Flex J Ticket - Your Delay is Under 5 Hours We Wouldn’t Help You

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Your TA was correct in their advice - they can’t make voluntary changes outside the fare rules - and it does sound like your ticket wasn’t fully flex. The GGL line would have been worth a quick call but the airport really has the control at this point. Last time I had a 2-hour delayed JFK, I asked one of the Customer Service Managers at T5 checkin and I was moved to an earlier flight without any question.

I didn’t mention GGL, she just looked at my booking on the computer and I was asked whether I was ok with a window seat on the 777.. not guaranteeing that this would have been your experience, but this was about 3 months ago for me.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think the difference actually isn't the one that you think. Most European airlines, BA included, will also accommodate that, but that discretion is typically reserved to the airport while call centres only deal with changes in schedules and less so with changes on the day. By contrast, the US big 3 have mostly removed non-operational staff from airports, and as a result, what used to be dealt with by airport staff there too has now been mostly transferred to call centres, alongside the discretion that comes with it. In a funny way, it also means that in case of irrops in many airports, it is not unusual for - say - AA agents to tell you that you need to call the call centre, or even them calling them for you as they do not have the same discretion themselves.

I realise you may prefer the US system (I do too actually, as someone with access to an efficient phone line) but the difference is not about who is more flexible here, more about who within the airline system is allowed to make use of that flexibility.
Years ago I had this issue with BA in a continental airport for my then no-status girlfriend dealing with a delay back to LHR on a very inexpesnive ticket. No accommodation was made for her (even though it was for me given that I was connecting on to JFK - I ended up having to leave her in the lounge) so I don’t think a blanket statement can be made that airports have this discretion and its just the opposite system to the US.

While I agree with your point - I think a lot of the difference in the US is not a lack of discretion but a lack of resources - out stations have very few staff and flights are often worked with one agent. That agent simply can’t handle all the changes that are needed and thus refers people to call centers that also have discretion. Lounge agents have the same and are generally more than happy to help. But as a general rule, American carriers provide broad discretion to most staff in airport and not and that’s simply not true on BA.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That is exactly what you are expecting - that the fare rules be overridden

If it was a full fareJ ticket as indicated , I cannot see why there would have been any fare difference - to get away earlier, with such a fare, you should have been simply able to cancel , get refund for the inbound flight and rebook on another carrier

Looking at fares on EF, it does seem that the JFK-LHR J fare is around GBP11,000
No, asking for fare rules to be overrideen would be asking for a change from an on time flight. When irregular operations occur, my expectations are entirely reasonable that a change to get me to my destination on time should have to be processed as a reticket according to the fare rules.

As indicated above, the ticket was fully flexible, not full fare (see post #3 I think).
SW7London likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sts603

No, asking for fare rules to be overrideen would be asking for a change from an on time flight. When irregular operations occur, my expectations are entirely reasonable that a change to get me to my destination on time should have to be processed as a reticket according to the fare rules.

As indicated above, the ticket was fully flexible, not full fare (see post #3 I think).
There was not a major delay to the service - I am surprised that BA would require a 5 hour delay given how 4 hours would trigger EUR600 compensation

At least with a known delay on BA, you could go to the airport later and not be expected to be at airport at original time incase, on a whim, the airline changed the departure time back again

You were asking the agent to book into J and not charge the appropriate fare - this is against the fare rules which say that for upgrading of fare that the fare difference needs to be paid
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
No accommodation was made for her (even though it was for me given that I was connecting on to JFK - I ended up having to leave her in the lounge) so I don’t think a blanket statement can be made that airports have this discretion and its just the opposite system to the US.
But that's the whole point of discretion! The agents have it, in the case you mentioned, they chose not to allow this (but could have). Discretion does not mean we always get what we want, it may be due to the specific circumstances, the agent who deals with you, or more often than not the station manager. Those guys make a big difference to how "lenient" agents will feel like being. Discretion precisely created inequality in treatment, but I have actually seen it on US airlines flights too, especially for people with no status who are often treated very badly in cases of IRROPs. Even in my own case, we had big problems with IRROPs on our trip to Hawaii on AA (OWE in J, booked direct) last year following schedule changes and the AA agent we spoke to at first refused any help (ie refused to reroute via a different hub) despite a fairly significant schedule change which resulted in an impossible connection. The second would not help either. I then managed to speak to a supervisor who accepted to help.

So mine was only a guess, but I still think that GGL on a flex ticket on a flight that was confirmed with 1h30 delay would have most likely been allowed on an earlier flight with space in the same cabin at LHR. It's not by any means a certainty but an educated guess.

While I agree with your point - I think a lot of the difference in the US is not a lack of discretion but a lack of resources - out stations have very few staff and flights are often worked with one agent. That agent simply can’t handle all the changes that are needed and thus refers people to call centers that also have discretion. Lounge agents have the same and are generally more than happy to help. But as a general rule, American carriers provide broad discretion to most staff in airport and not and that’s simply not true on BA.

Actually, most of the examples I was referring to when we had to go through the call centres were precisely from the (AA own) lounges, and I don't think it was an issue of time since in some cases the lounge agent was the one on the phone and making the argument for me (both with and without success depending on cases!)

Now, policies differ too, for instance US airlines tend to be a lot more accommodating with equipment change. By contrast they tend to be ruthless when it comes to care in case of bad weather.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
One thing to add to above is that for BA Holidays bookings the on the day duty staff seem to have more flexibility to accommodate on the day changes over the phone - so that is worth a call if you are facing a delay and another service suits (I have done so for around a 2-hour delay before) and you have a Holidays booking.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There was not a major delay to the service - I am surprised that BA would require a 5 hour delay given how 4 hours would trigger EUR600 compensation
There is a logic there. EC261 doesn't specify compensation for delays, but does give a specific refund remedy for 5 hour delays (Art 6.1.c.iii), and that is what has ended up in the CoC.

Now in reality delays over 2 hours can result in liability for airlines of increasing amounts, hence why after a 2 hour delay a passenger may well be successful in getting a flight change, albeit not via the channels used by the OP, nor for a 90 minute delay.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:20 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This thread has been closed while the mod team reviews and removes post violations.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.