Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Small details BA vs Lufthansa European business class

Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:50 am
bil
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum

It is well know how intra-European business class isn't very impressive but I decided to try Lufthansa to see how it compares with Club Europe which is the only other one I've tried (except for a short GVA-ZRH hop in Swiss). Overall, the products are very similar with only minor differences, but those are precisely where the premium feeling lies.

A) The seat: Lufthansa uses one of the so-called ultra slim seats. I've tried them in some other carries like EZY, IB and LX but this was the most unpleasant one. I could even feel the metallic skeleton of the seat in my back. I am unsure of the policy with respect to the middle table in LH but there was no sign of them in the whole business cabin. As a positive, the tray table of the first row is "stuck" on the wall which means that the seat width is not reduced.

B) The meal service: There was no hot towel service, I think there was a wet wipe. Two refills and the stewardess disapperared. The napkins were paper, not fabric. And the treatment was correct but not engaging.

C) The food: I didn't quite like the food. it was prosciutto with melon. A dish like that is very risky as given its simplicity the perceived quality depends a lot on the quality of the raw ingredients, which was not very good.

I think the experience was ok, but not worth paying for unless it comes as a connection into a long haul flight.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
There is indeed no hot towel service - you get a cold towel with your meal tray. Food can be nice but can also a bit too sophisticated sometimes. In terms of service this is indeed my biggest problem with LH (and I have not seen this in other intra-European C cabins - once food and beverages are served, staff helps serve in Y class, leaving C class without any service for quite some time. Different in OS and LX, by the way!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, SAS EB Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Gold, Accor Silver
Ive done a few LH EDI-FRA flights in J over the last few years, normally in the A321. Ive always quite enjoyed them TBH. I like the seat but I guess thats personal opinion. The first few rows of the A321 have a table fixed in the middle seat - Im guessing to reduce seat numbers in line with the crewing. My younger son and I have become somewhat accustomed to 2D and F, which have great space.

I like beer in a bottle and German wine, so good scores there! The food has always been hit or miss - I would quite prefer something warm on shorter flights or even a choice, so BA have it there.

I like the Lounges in Frankfurt, the nice premium check in area and priority bag delivery seems to work well.

One thing I have really often found in the last few years though - they often undercut BA intra-Europe J significantly in pricing; even looking ahead to the Faro at new year, they are well over 200 less than BA just now!
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Agree with LH's the ultra thin seats. I prefer LX over LH but both products are decent. I can only comment intra-europe BA out of LCY these days. BA's product to Prague and Glasgow good, decent crew and and a good bar service. Last time out of LHR, I was served a Panini for dinner and warm plonk. Not exactly Business class

Last edited by ComputerCommuter; Aug 19, 2018 at 10:16 am
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
It’s been a while since I’ve done LH European J class but I did like the fact thst on the E190 out of LCY there was a seat blocked off next to me whereas on the BA ones it’s not.

Currently looking at 10 rows of CE on flight to LCY next month am going towards the back in the hope thst people will want to sit closer to the front giving me the chance of a free seat next to me.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by sph77
I’ve done a few LH EDI-FRA flights in J over the last few years, normally in the A321. I’ve always quite enjoyed them TBH. I like the seat but I guess that’s personal opinion. The first few rows of the A321 have a table fixed in the middle seat - I’m guessing to reduce seat numbers in line with the crewing. My younger son and I have become somewhat accustomed to 2D and F, which have great space.

I like beer in a bottle and German wine, so good scores there! The food has always been hit or miss - I would quite prefer something warm on shorter flights or even a choice, so BA have it there.

I like the Lounges in Frankfurt, the nice premium check in area and priority bag delivery seems to work well.

One thing I have really often found in the last few years though - they often undercut BA intra-Europe J significantly in pricing; even looking ahead to the Faro at new year, they are well over 200 less than BA just now!
Yes! LX and LH business sometimes can be cheaper than the expensive economy fares or hardly more expensive. I managed a Business Class return LHR-MUC-ATH with LH for about 350 GBP, cheaper than many Y flights on BA to ATH!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:26 pm

Coincidently, I was just about to open a thread on the same theme, having flown intra-European business class on LH yesterday for the first time (including a connection in FRA).
[and I had the prosciutto with melon as well (on FRA-VIE)]

My conclusion was that BA and LH seem to conspire about low standards, and the main difference is that on LH everybody speaks German very well...

I booked TK for going to ATH in Nov.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by sph77
Priority bag delivery did not work for my flight to VIE.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:30 pm
bil
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Priority bag delivery did not work for my flight to VIE.
Did not work in BIO either

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.