Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CW Upper deck 747 - direct aisle access seat pairs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

I am considering where to sit (for me and Mrs drpabs) on the upper deck on a 747 in CW (for flights LHR to NBO and back). The main criteria for us is that (i) We do not have to climb over anyone to get to the aisle, (ii) We do not have anyone climbing over us to get to the aisle.

From my FT research it seems that the seats which satisfy my criteria are 60BJ and 64BK, and possibly 63BJ and 62AK.

Please would somebody be kind enough to confirm whether I am correct? Is the reason that 62AK has access to the aisle without overclimbing anybody because there is a gap between rows 62 and 63? If so then a corollary would be that 63BJ are not overclimbed by anyone. Does that sound right?

If what I have understood about the 474 upper deck is correct, the pairs of seats which meet my criteria should be, in decreasing order of desirability: 64AK, 62AK, 63BJ, 60BJ.

I would welcome any confirmations on my understanding of this situation, as well as any corrections if my understanding is wrong.

Thanks,

drpabs

p.s. The departure from NBO to LHR is at 2335. What time should I arrive at the airport (I understand there is no lounge at NBO)
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by drpabs

If what I have understood about the 474 upper deck is correct, the pairs of seats which meet my criteria should be, in decreasing order of desirability: 64AK, 62AK, 63BJ, 60BJ
Yes, that's right. There is an exit between row 62/63. Row 60 is bizarrely the noisiest due to engine noise (or is it air friction as the fuselage tapers?).

64K is the best seat in J so often is snapped up early.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by shefgab
64K is the best seat in J so often is snapped up early.
I actually prefer 64A/K over F seats, it's my favourite seat in the fleet.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks shefgab and jagboi.

I think I will try for 64AK and then failing that 62AK.

Last edited by drpabs; Aug 20, 2018 at 12:20 am
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I am considering where to sit (for me and Mrs drpabs) on the upper deck on a 747 in CW (for flights LHR to NBO and back). The main criteria for us is that (i) We do not have to climb over anyone to get to the aisle, (ii) We do not have anyone climbing over us to get to the aisle.

From my FT research it seems that the seats which satisfy my criteria are 60BJ and 64BK, and possibly 63BJ and 62AK.

64B would have someone climbing over you.

The question is also how you like to travel. If you take any window seat, quite frankly, it makes no difference whatsoever whether you are in the same row or not as you won't be able to see or speak to each other, so if that's the case, whether you do - say, 62A and 62K or 62A and 60B does not really make much of a difference. In that sense, 62AK and 64AK are not "seat pairs" in any remote sense.

If you want to be able to interact whilst sticking to your criteria, then the pairs of aisle seats you mention (60BJ and 63BJ would be the only options, or something like 62A and 63B or 62K and 63J where you could not talk but could at least see each other.

If none of the options you describe are available, note that quite a few seats in the lower deck also match your two criteria. The upper deck is generally more pleasant in my view, but if you can't find your ideal seats in the UD that might be worth looking at.

Last edited by orbitmic; Aug 20, 2018 at 12:37 am
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:30 am

Other pairs to consider are 63AB and 63JK - because (providing you are not of very large build or have limited mobility), you can access the window seats by using the gap between the fuselage and the seat casing meaning you don't need to climb over 64B/J.
orbitmic and T8191 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks to orbitmic for that very detailed and kind consideration of where we might seat.

We don't really speak that much during flights, other than when one of us is up and about to go to the lavatory or has a question for the other one, so being in sight is not a huge problem.

Thank you for drawing my attention to the typo which I made.

What I meant to say was

From my FT research it seems that the seats which satisfy my criteria are 60BJ and 64AK, and possibly 63BJ and 62AK.

instead of

Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, RCI Diamond
There is no BA lounge, but you will be able to use the Turkish Airline lounge. It's not very big and gets very busy plus it's a pain to get to! When you go up the stairs following passport/ticket check, turn left and go all the way to the end of the set of gates. It looks and feels as though you enter a bit of the terminal that is undergoing renovation, but the lounge is right down there on the left hand side.

When you arrive at the airport, there is a baggage screen/security point before you get into the building. There is a line for status/prem cabins/diplomats etc to the right of the terminal. The BA check in area is at the far side on the left.

The next security check is the passport/ticket check. The line for "priority" is on the far right of this section, although it also caters for diplomats and on this heavy diplomatic route, the priority lane is often slower than the regular lanes.

When you get called for boarding, it's mega early. This is because you have to go through two more bag searches before entering the departure gate. There is a priority lane, but again, this is a high status route, and priority extends to groups 1-3! You then have to wait there for a very long time before you can actually board. My advice would be to leave it as late as you dare before going through here. I think they call you a good hour and a half before departure, but you can just rock up with 25mins to go.

Enjoy Kenya, safe travels
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Other pairs to consider are 63AB and 63JK - because (providing you are not of very large build or have limited mobility), you can access the window seats by using the gap between the fuselage and the seat casing meaning you don't need to climb over 64B/J.
Thanks Flexible preferences. Fortunately I am pretty slim so I imagine I could squeeze around the port side of 63A and the starboard side of 63K if necessary.

Last edited by drpabs; Aug 20, 2018 at 12:52 am
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Other (obvious I guess) question is do you not have a preference at all between window or aisles? Windows are nice on the UD in that they have a side compartment, so if you are more window people they would definitely be worth choosing if you say that you do not tend/need to interact much during the flight. However, note that even though you do not climb above anyone from 64A and K, the passage (behind the 64BJ pax) is quite narrow so if you are more aisle people, do know that 64A and K are certainly not equivalent to aisle seats in terms of going out - there will be some level of contorsion and gymnastics involved every time you go out. 62AK are a lot easier to get out of from that point of view though a little less private.

Flexible Preferences recommendation is also worth considering. 63AB or 63JK might give you a bit of the best of both worlds. You can use them without anyone ever stepping over you or you over anyone (though again, much more gymnastics to get out of 63AK than there would be from an aisle seat) whilst still sitting together so for instance you can have your meal together (effectively facing each other) if you want a bit of "contact time".
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Other (obvious I guess) question is do you not have a preference at all between window or aisles? Windows are nice on the UD in that they have a side compartment, so if you are more window people they would definitely be worth choosing if you say that you do not tend/need to interact much during the flight. However, note that even though you do not climb above anyone from 64A and K, the passage (behind the 64BJ pax) is quite narrow so if you are more aisle people, do know that 64A and K are certainly not equivalent to aisle seats in terms of going out - there will be some level of contorsion and gymnastics involved every time you go out. 62AK are a lot easier to get out of from that point of view though a little less private.

Flexible Preferences recommendation is also worth considering. 63AB or 63JK might give you a bit of the best of both worlds. You can use them without anyone ever stepping over you or you over anyone (though again, much more gymnastics to get out of 63AK than there would be from an aisle seat) whilst still sitting together so for instance you can have your meal together (effectively facing each other) if you want a bit of "contact time".
We don't really have a preference for windows over aisles.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:56 am
Original Poster

I reckon I'm going to plump for 62AK as my first choice and then 63BJ as my second.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:01 am

Tricky question this. I really dislike UD aisle seats so I'd go for windows in 62 and 64 and therefore Travel separately. However, for people who don't mind those aisle seats I'd go for 63 pairs if one of you is agile. That way no one has to climb or be climbed over and you have the benefits of not facing a stranger during the briefing. Plus it is nice to occasionally chat to your companion.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, RCI Diamond
Originally Posted by dombo17uk
There is no BA lounge, but you will be able to use the Turkish Airline lounge. It's not very big and gets very busy plus it's a pain to get to! When you go up the stairs following passport/ticket check, turn left and go all the way to the end of the set of gates. It looks and feels as though you enter a bit of the terminal that is undergoing renovation, but the lounge is right down there on the left hand side.

When you arrive at the airport, there is a baggage screen/security point before you get into the building. There is a line for status/prem cabins/diplomats etc to the right of the terminal. The BA check in area is at the far side on the left.

The next security check is the passport/ticket check. The line for "priority" is on the far right of this section, although it also caters for diplomats and on this heavy diplomatic route, the priority lane is often slower than the regular lanes.

When you get called for boarding, it's mega early. This is because you have to go through two more bag searches before entering the departure gate. There is a priority lane, but again, this is a high status route, and priority extends to groups 1-3! You then have to wait there for a very long time before you can actually board. My advice would be to leave it as late as you dare before going through here. I think they call you a good hour and a half before departure, but you can just rock up with 25mins to go.

Enjoy Kenya, safe travels
Should have said, I arrive around 2115 and this is plenty of time to have a couple of drinks in the lounge.

As an aside, I got chatting to an American chap who was hanging out at the Club Kitchen. It was around 2hrs to landing and he was dressed in full safari gear, complete with neck strap for his camera (minus camera obviously). He even had two sew on badges on his breast pocket and arm depicting his previous safaris with the same company. He was telling me how excited he was to see the big five, but he was really hoping to see one he had not seen before.....the tiger! Nearly spat red wine all over him trying to control my laughter!
drpabs, orbitmic and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by dombo17uk
Should have said, I arrive around 2115 and this is plenty of time to have a couple of drinks in the lounge.

As an aside, I got chatting to an American chap who was hanging out at the Club Kitchen. It was around 2hrs to landing and he was dressed in full safari gear, complete with neck strap for his camera (minus camera obviously). He even had two sew on badges on his breast pocket and arm depicting his previous safaris with the same company. He was telling me how excited he was to see the big five, but he was really hoping to see one he had not seen before.....the tiger! Nearly spat red wine all over him trying to control my laughter!
you should have told him you were hoping for a polar bear...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.