Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying to Moscow - A321 or 787 in Club...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Flying to Moscow - A321 or 787 in Club...

... which one would you choose and why? Just to see the pros and cons.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
787 is the morning day flight, so:

1. Better timings (OK, you lose a full day in Moscow but you are more relaxed);
2. Less chance of being subbed for a short-haul Airbus;
3. Newer cabin and a bigger, quieter plane;
4. Better IFE?
5. Theoretical chance of an op-up to F.

Cons:

1. No single/"throne" seats.
2. The very short overnight is too short for much (any) sleep, but it's the only way to leave the office in London on time and get to Moscow for the next morning.
3. 787's early take-off means that the main meal served is breakfast, which is never a good choice.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Tinseltown
... which one would you choose and why? Just to see the pros and cons.
I'd take the 787. I would not want to risk a mechanical swap to a normal short haul A320/A321. Far less likely with the 787. Just my two cents.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Get a throne seat on 321 then that would swing, otherwise defo the 787.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: GGLfL
B787
Advantages - experienced crew, often switched to a B777 with WifI, full CW service (although only a breakfast on the outbound), generally cheaper (as R/I fare buckets left), ability to upgrade with UuA or AUP to F, often paid F is available for less than CW on the A321
Disadvantages - stupid flights times, early 5am wake-up for the outbound, lose half a work day on the return

A321
Advantages - good flight times, don't have to get up at 5am for the outbound, can leave Paveletsskaya on the 1630 train for the return, seat (if you like the inflatable, hissy seat), proper lunch on the outbound
Disadvantages - the seat (if like me, you hate the inflatable, hissy seat), no upgrade to F, usually more expensive in CW
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
787 no question.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
As someone who can't stand short overnight flights the B787 wins hands down here. So much so that I've just booked a trip there B787 in Club both ways.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Brace yourself for un-British attitudes in DME/SVO!
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ilcannone
Brace yourself for un-British attitudes in DME/SVO!
Oh dear... is it one of those places where I need to take a double dose of my high blood pressure tablets before I land?!?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:57 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Tinseltown
Oh dear... is it one of those places where I need to take a double dose of my high blood pressure tablets before I land?!?
Only been to Russia a few times but I find it very like England. Imagine you were a Russian who couldn't speak a word of English and arrived at Leeds train Station in 1970. You would receive blank stares. Can't blame them. Moscow in general is not a place where everyone everywhere knows English in an attempt to wheedle $/£ out of you (except tourist hotspots where it is). To most Russians you are an inconvenient aberration who doesn't know the rules. With adequate prep it's not a problem, but I'd say it's really worth doing some homework rather than trying to 'wing it'.
I wonder if it has changed after the world cup?
Recently heard (on FT) that those with fan IDs could visit visa free until the end of Dec 2018!

(and yes 787)

Last edited by DeathSlam; Aug 17, 2018 at 11:13 pm
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
OP, are you talking about the BA235 1055 A321 flight, rather than the short overnighter mentioned upthread?
If so I’d prefer this over the earlier 787. No god awful early wake up and no god awful breakfast in lieu of a four-course lunch.
The 787 return timings are good.
In fact I’m doing It this way next month!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Even the BA233/2 rotation seems to get the 321 on some days in the winter timetable. My BA233 789 booking was swapped to a 321 some time ago. I did not mind too much, as 1A was still free.

I'd decide on schedule if you can reserve a throne seat on the 321. Otherwise I'd try to go with the 789 flights.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Only been to Russia a few times but I find it very like England. Imagine you were a Russian who couldn't speak a word of English and arrived at Leeds train Station in 1970. You would receive blank stares. Can't blame them. Moscow in general is not a place where everyone everywhere knows English in an attempt to wheedle $/£ out of you (except tourist hotspots where it is). To most Russians you are an inconvenient aberration who doesn't know the rules. With adequate prep it's not a problem, but I'd say it's really worth doing some homework rather than trying to 'wing it'.
I wonder if it has changed after the world cup?
Recently heard (on FT) that those with fan IDs could visit visa free until the end of Dec 2018!

(and yes 787)
It's definitely a lot more Anglo-friendly, that's for sure. The metro system has only had English announcements for less than 2 years so far, the signage in the metro is only just been translated into English, and although I've not seen a great deal of change here with the people (I've always found people to be 95% of the time pleasant), my Russian friends/family/clients tell me they've noticed marked improvements across the board.

Still....it can be a bit intimidating for those who don't like things to be *too* different! But for me, I love the place!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
Didn't a 787 go tech at DME the other week and ended up being cancelled. Not a great experience id have though with russian visa restrictions.

Has anyone been recently and noticed and differences to British visitors since the whole novichok incidents?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by RyanLHR
Didn't a 787 go tech at DME the other week and ended up being cancelled. Not a great experience id have though with russian visa restrictions.
A 789 flying BA 233 had a technical problem somewhere over Latvia and subsequently returned to LHR. Presumably BA wanted to avoid having their aircraft stuck in DME.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.