Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unnecessary daggers thrown...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Air Commodore "Cyclops" Brown RAF (RIP) wore an eye patch, which used to ride up on more 'festive' occasions. He had a glass eye with an RAF roundel for such events! Great Boss
C B Brown

But I digress ,,, sorry!
Cris L, endoman and Tocsin like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:23 pm

People are just entitled jerks. My last LAX-LHR flight, I boarded to find a woman in my seat. I started to point out that she was in my seat, and she quickly cut me off and said, "this is my seat now. I have to be next to my children. You need to go sit in my seat." Mind, her "children" looked to be teenagers who didn't need their mother with them, and she preboarded during the "people with children" portion of boarding, so I suppose she was planning this hostile seat takeover all along. I was completely taken aback and didn't want to cause a fuss, but then was unhappily seated next to the galley. Next time, I doubt I'll be so charitable.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:18 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by Buster
People are just entitled jerks. My last LAX-LHR flight, I boarded to find a woman in my seat. I started to point out that she was in my seat, and she quickly cut me off and said, "this is my seat now. I have to be next to my children. You need to go sit in my seat." Mind, her "children" looked to be teenagers who didn't need their mother with them, and she preboarded during the "people with children" portion of boarding, so I suppose she was planning this hostile seat takeover all along. I was completely taken aback and didn't want to cause a fuss, but then was unhappily seated next to the galley. Next time, I doubt I'll be so charitable.
Rather than letting her get away with making demands like that, I would of taken a lot of enjoyment getting her removed from that seat and sent packing back to her own. Politeness goes a long way (or at least it should be that way around)
Padmeister and Cotumely like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:30 pm

You have to feel sorry for this type of person to be honest. Emotionally damaged. In the US the woman would have been asked, "are you on medication for your psychological condition?" as an ironic come back.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
On my recent OTP-PHX run, I was sat in 1A, and one of my travelling companions was in 1D. The chap in 1C, asks me to move to 4C, so that his wife could sit with him. I politely declined, despite daggers, and suggested that whoever was in 4A might swap with him. It turns out 4A was vacant (CC told me he knew that), and he just wanted them both in the front row..

He spent the flight in 4A, and to rub salt into his wounds, my companion moved to 1C so that we could chat through the flight.......
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I'm much more likely to be reasonable if you're not being an absolute [mod: redacted] about it.
Didn’t realise that mod: redacted could be used as an insult these days. I need to get down with the kids more
WickedStepMother and Cotumely like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
These stories are quite unbelievable to hear. I often travel in CE with my two small kids(2 and 4yrs old). Fortunately, we have never had to ask to swop, as I have always found other flyers very quick to offer up seats if needed.

Its revolting how some parents flying with children, use them as an excuse and have a sense of entitlement in the cabin.
Andriyko likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
If the circumstances for seat movong are explained, I am much more amenable to moving.

Maybe 20 to 25 years ago on NorthWest in J LGW-DTW in a 2-2-2 config, I was asked by crew if I’d mind moving from my window to an aisle, and I chose to decline, but no reason was given for the request. Another pax across the other side of the cabin also at a window seat was also asked, and he declined too.

Next thing that happens a couple of minutes later, I find myself sat next to a two year old and the other pax across the cabin is sat next to a three year old, with their parents taking up a pair in the middle section. At that point I immediately got up and offered my seat to the parents, allowing them to sit with their kids, which was graciously accepted.

Rather than thanking me, I then received an unnecessarily snotty comment from the cabin crew member asking why I didn’t move before. I made it clear to them that had she explained the situation beforehand I would have been happy to oblige.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I'm amenable to a swap for an equal seat but certainly won't take a lesser one. In the OP's situation once I'd refused and the husband kept making snide remarks I'd have hit the call button every time he showed up to talk to his wife. If you're having any type of a dispute with another passenger get the cabin crew involved that way if matters escalate you can point to the fact you complained about the other person's behavior.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Buster
I find this outrageous and I would have immediately called a member of cabin crew and had her removed, the more fuss the better!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Having gained much mirth from reading all the responses( and naturally still feeling the empathy I did for the OP previously) I have decided to allow the well known 'am-dram' side of pre script how I deal with said situation should I come across it. I feel going full Basil Fawlty on people acting in such a manner should work well. Obviously i'll play it on the fly but imagine my response to be along the lines of.

"Me, move for you, a much vaulted Gold Card Holder who can book their seats for free? Really, me, how generous of you to allow me to serve you in such a manner. your Excellencies. How exquisitely gracious of you! Is there anything else either you may need; An arm maybe, possibly a leg, I mean my left ones a bit buggered anyway so you might as well have use of it. Could I maybe give you a kidney whilst I'm at it, Sam( Cybil), Sam I'm moving dear. These lovely people who couldn't get their own act together have offered to allow me to help them and they're GOLD, GOLDDDDDD Samantha. My darling this truly is a wonderful day."
- - Turn back to face said cretins - -
"I'm sorry what was it you were asking again"?

Such dramatic responses would obviously be saved for specific cases such as the OP's. Yes it's childish petulant behaviour but if two grown adults have to resort to being passive aggressive .........s because they didnt get their own way then i'm inclined to just lean right into it. I'm kind of hoping it happens now tbh.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Having gained much mirth from reading all the responses( and naturally still feeling the empathy I did for the OP previously) I have decided to allow the well known 'am-dram' side of pre script how I deal with said situation should I come across it. I feel going full Basil Fawlty on people acting in such a manner should work well. Obviously i'll play it on the fly but imagine my response to be along the lines of.

"Me, move for you, a much vaulted Gold Card Holder who can book their seats for free? Really, me, how generous of you to allow me to serve you in such a manner. your Excellencies. How exquisitely gracious of you! Is there anything else either you may need; An arm maybe, possibly a leg, I mean my left ones a bit buggered anyway so you might as well have use of it. Could I maybe give you a kidney whilst I'm at it, Sam( Cybil), Sam I'm moving dear. These lovely people who couldn't get their own act together have offered to allow me to help them and they're GOLD, GOLDDDDDD Samantha. My darling this truly is a wonderful day."

Such dramatic responses would obviously be saved for specific cases such as the OP's. Yes it's childish petulant behaviour but if two grown adults have to resort to being passive aggressive .........s because they didnt get their own way then i'm inclined to just lean right into it. I'm kind of hoping it happens now tbh.
Indeed it is and the right thing to do in my view is just get the CC/CSD involved and try to remain dignified. Two wrongs don't make a right in my book and what your implying there really isn't a wise thing to do on the inside of an aircraft ready to leave. If CC saw you doing that, even if you were in the right. It may ring alarm bells to them as to your demeanour/attitude, looking for confrontation and kind of hoping it happens is something I wouldn't wish for.

Twice I have found myself in the position of someone in my seat, UD on BA and an IB flight. CC sorted it no problem, that's the thing to do really in my view.
origin and newyorklondon like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by TWCLAM

Too much talk.

If I decide not to swap the first answer is, "No thank-you, I will remain in this seat."

If asked again the second answer is, "No, I will remain in this seat. I have told you that twice. All that follows from here is me telling you to (expletive deleted) off."
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Too much talk.

If I decide not to swap the first answer is, "No thank-you, I will remain in this seat."

If asked again the second answer is, "No, I will remain in this seat. I have told you that twice. All that follows from here is me telling you to (expletive deleted) off."
correct

you tell somebody once. If they choose to ignore you and ask again, it’s their problem.
FrogTastic likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Too much talk.

While I fully-subscribe to the underlying basis of that response, doing that in reality will likely lead to an altercation that *may* result in you + the other party being removed from the aircraft. Perhaps ignoring them is a better option? Guess it depends on the person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.