Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need advice....DVT 3 weeks before flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Oxnardjan
Has anyone flown long haul with a history of blood clots and being on blood thinners? Sort of on topic so Moderators move this if necessary.
Three years ago, I developed DVT and PE during a flight from EZE-DFW. I spent 4 nights in the hospital and was then allowed to fly home to ORD. I was prescribed Eliquis (Apixaban) and wore compression stockings. I took Eliquis for six months, at which time testing showed no preexisting clotting disorders (meaning: the incident was almost certainly flight related).

I fly long haul 4-5 times per year. Following dr's orders, I now take Eliquis prior to flying and wear compression stockings. Almost all flights are in J (awards or BA sales) and I make sure to get up every 2 hours.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:22 am

Thank you

We are flying economy....That is what we can afford. His Physician and Hematologist state that he is safe to fly as he is on the blood thinners and will wear his compression socks. He will get up every 2 hours to walk and we are with friends so I feel a little safer. I am a worrier; Dr. states "thousands fly every year on blood thinners, go and have fun".
My husbands clots came back in the same area due to vein damage after going off Warfarin X 2 now he is on Xarelto for life. He had every test in the book all negative as to why the DVT's and the conclusion for his clots was sitting at a desk and long drive time to work. Now he has a standing desk and Other than driving or sleeping is up and moving every hour. I want a great trip for him and me too.

Originally Posted by JMontpelier
Three years ago, I developed DVT and PE during a flight from EZE-DFW. I spent 4 nights in the hospital and was then allowed to fly home to ORD. I was prescribed Eliquis (Apixaban) and wore compression stockings. I took Eliquis for six months, at which time testing showed no preexisting clotting disorders (meaning: the incident was almost certainly flight related).

I fly long haul 4-5 times per year. Following dr's orders, I now take Eliquis prior to flying and wear compression stockings. Almost all flights are in J (awards or BA sales) and I make sure to get up every 2 hours.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
US Platinum cards do not include travel insurance. It sounds like a pre-existing condition anyway. Best of luck with BA, I can’t disagree with what the doctor says.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:34 am

Thank you.

We always buy premium travel insurance at the time we book our vacations when it involves international travel. This is good reminder not to count on CC as insurance. I appreciate the reminder to verify with DH that the insurance he bought does cover preexisting condition.
Luck with BA? What is BA?

[QUOTE=LondonElite;30096622]
US Platinum cards do not include travel insurance. It sounds like a pre-existing condition anyway. Best of luck with BA, I can’t disagree with what the doctor says.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Such is the danger of assumptions - very different benefits with the UK Vs US plat.

As as for pre-existing, I’m not a lawyer, but I am a doctor, from the information given you can’t know if this is a pre-existing condition. VTE can be precipitated by many medical conditions, blood clotting problems or seemingly be without cause.
Of course an individual may have some pre-disposition to clots, but if fit and well, they may never have been tested for, treated or diagnosed. If never tested/treated, From an insurance point of view this wouldn’t generally be considered pre-existing.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Luck with BA? What is BA?
BA = British Airways. I was responding to the OP!
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Also worth checking the ticket rules in details: While BA tickets issued in the UK have typically no cancellation/refund option for medical reasons, tickets issued in the US follow slightly different rules.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
We are flying economy....That is what we can afford. His Physician and Hematologist state that he is safe to fly as he is on the blood thinners and will wear his compression socks. He will get up every 2 hours to walk and we are with friends so I feel a little safer. I am a worrier; Dr. states "thousands fly every year on blood thinners, go and have fun".
My husbands clots came back in the same area due to vein damage after going off Warfarin X 2 now he is on Xarelto for life. He had every test in the book all negative as to why the DVT's and the conclusion for his clots was sitting at a desk and long drive time to work. Now he has a standing desk and Other than driving or sleeping is up and moving every hour. I want a great trip for him and me too.
The airline will probably insist on having a "fit to fly" note from the doctor before the patient's next flight and their own medical department might need to approve travel well in advance so be prepared.....
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The airline will probably insist on having a "fit to fly" note from the doctor before the patient's next flight and their own medical department might need to approve travel well in advance so be prepared.....
But only if the airline are aware of the condition in the first place?
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:24 am

Flying AA. In the sardine section.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
BA = British Airways. I was responding to the OP!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:29 am

How would the airlines know about his condition? Seriously thanks for something else to worry about.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:52 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
How would the airlines know about his condition? Seriously thanks for something else to worry about.

Are you forgetting that you have piggybacked on someone else's thread? Several times you've acted like you started this thread. That is why you are seeing things that are irrelevant to you, but relevant to the original poster (OP).

In the case of the OP, BA may ask for a fit to fly as if they agree to postpone the trip, then there will be notes on their booking to state the reason for the postponement of the flight.

If you fly when you know that you are possibly unsafe to fly and cause an unscheduled landing at a different aiport to which is scheduled, you'd better have good insurance cover...
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:35 am

Forgive me the error of my ways.

If you check an earlier response I asked the Moderators to let me know if I was in the wrong. I was responding to some nice people that were trying to help with information on the related subject. Another reason to lurk and not post.....Sorry for your upset. Signing off and not checking this thread again. Thanks to you that offered true help. See earlier post in bold.
So sorry that you are going through this...Prayers for your Sister that she is in the clear soon, I can't imagine your stress. I hope the CC insurance gives you help.
Has anyone flown long haul with a history of blood clots and being on blood thinners? Sort of on topic so Moderators move this if necessary.
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Are you forgetting that you have piggybacked on someone else's thread? Several times you've acted like you started this thread. That is why you are seeing things that are irrelevant to you, but relevant to the original poster (OP).
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss

In the case of the OP, BA may ask for a fit to fly as if they agree to postpone the trip, then there will be notes on their booking to state the reason for the postponement of the flight.

If you fly when you know that you are possibly unsafe to fly and cause an unscheduled landing at a different aiport to which is scheduled, you'd better have good insurance cover...
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:50 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
If you check an earlier response I asked the Moderators to let me know if I was in the wrong. I was responding to some nice people that were trying to help with information on the related subject. Another reason to lurk and not post.....Sorry for your upset. Signing off and not checking this thread again. Thanks to you that offered true help. See earlier post in bold.
[b]So sorry that you are going through this...Prayers for your Sister that she is in the clear soon, I can't imagine your stress. I hope the CC insurance gives you help.
I'm not upset, and I wasn't 'having a go'. You just have to be clear what response is to whom so it avoids confusion. Do keep checking back, as that will give some guidance.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Ok....with a gazillion phone calls, BA helped move my trip forward 2 months (which will give her 3 months on blood thinners and to follow up with her doctor who was much pleased we postponed our trip on his advice). Question. Has anyone ever bought travel insurance with what is now going to be a preexisting condition? Who did you buy from and any guess as to what it would cost on a $9k trip?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.