BA 747 - dine together in F?

Old Aug 15, 18, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold

To give you an idea of size of the buddy this is my PJ wearing 7 year old enjoying breakfast opposite her dad.
Lizie likes this.
Old Aug 16, 18, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Well I'm 6ft 3" and 17 stone and I sat opposite my five year old in 5A to feed him his dinner to PHX and back earlier this month. And after that, switched to the other side of the cabin (to 5K) to enjoy dinner with my wife (once the kids were fed and to bed).

Not hugely comfortable in Row 5, but the experience of dining together at 37,000 ft more than makes up for it. Enjoyed my steak so much, the cabin crew even made me a second round of steak, so I was sat there a little longer. (Perhaps if I didn't eat so much steak it would be a comfier experience fitting into small seats.)

As for 1A/K and 2A/K have sat there for dinners too... If I can fit (albeit sometimes slightly angled into the seat, then most people will).

Must admit though, when sat opposite my then girlfriend in 2009 en route to PHX, I did have to squeeze out of the buddy seat at 2K to propose to her - there wasn't quite enough space to get down on one knee that side of the table, so I elected to ask my big question from the aisle
Lizie likes this.
Old Aug 16, 18, 5:32 am

There is no buddy dining in F on the 787.
Lizie likes this.
Old Aug 16, 18, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I used to dine together with my partner for the first one or two F flights that we took, it was nice enough, but it is a little cramped in the buddy seat, at least on the 747. We dine always dine in our own seats now, it feels maybe the novelty of buddy dining has worn off.
pennineuk and Lizie like this.
Old Aug 16, 18, 11:21 am

First time in F we did the buddy dining. Mrs cheeks sat in the buddy seat. I am a little rotund to fit in. It was a nice experience but Mrs Cheeks decided that on future flights she would like to be comfortable rather than gaze into my lovely blue eyes. Said eyes were a little worse for wear after sampling most of the wine list. We now have something to talk about after 9 hours alone.
Lizie likes this.
Old Aug 16, 18, 11:45 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, BA Executive Club
Go for it! My wife and I did 1A/K on trip back from PHX in 747. She was in the alcove but it was perfectly fine for 90 mins- 2 hours.
I also wouldn’t worry about making noise like some other people said. We had 2 geriatrics in the row behind us (row 2) who were basically deaf so spoke much louder than any noise you would make eating food and talking.
Lizie likes this.
Old Aug 16, 18, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone and I'm thrilled we can do it!!

Seems people have made some wonderful memories and can't wait to join your ranks! The companion seat does look small and thank you NewlyWed for the picture to give a perspective, pancakes look good! So I'm going to have to keep an eye on what I eat until boarding but sure now it's going to be worth it. Obviously am going to have to buy something new to wear befitting the occasion ;-).

Oh and thank you for pointing out my error Doctor Cooper. But you aren't getting away so lightly! I don't know any man who at some point hasn't said to his partner when food's around 'are you going to eat that?'
Old Aug 16, 18, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Lizie View Post
Thank you everyone and I'm thrilled we can do it!!

Seems people have made some wonderful memories and can't wait to join your ranks! The companion seat does look small and thank you NewlyWed for the picture to give a perspective, pancakes look good! So I'm going to have to keep an eye on what I eat until boarding but sure now it's going to be worth it. Obviously am going to have to buy something new to wear befitting the occasion ;-).

Oh and thank you for pointing out my error Doctor Cooper. But you aren't getting away so lightly! I don't know any man who at some point hasn't said to his partner when food's around 'are you going to eat that?'
Yes it works very well. The seat is reasonable and there is a seatbelt in case of turbulence etc... As a few others have mentioned it doesn't work on the new 787 First. Only the B747/B777/A380. On the A380 at least I had more than enough room as a 6'1 adult male.
Old Aug 17, 18, 5:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist View Post
The crew commented that no-one ever does it and that it was quite fun setting it up.
Whaaaat? We always dine together in BA F!
Pre-dinner drinks at hers while the crew set up, then over to mine for dinner.
And usually we end up back at hers for the nightcap...

Have even managed buddy dining on the 789 but for sure it's pretty cramped. Curse those useless glass backrests they installed.
Old Aug 17, 18, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Newly Wed View Post

To give you an idea of size of the buddy this is my PJ wearing 7 year old enjoying breakfast opposite her dad.
THats on the 777 isn't it?

Its much tighter on the 747
Old Aug 17, 18, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
THats on the 777 isn't it?

Its much tighter on the 747
Yes the photo is of a middle section First Class seat on a B777.
As the op will be flying on a 747, the photo is irrelevant. The space in the buddy seat in 747 F is tight to say the least. The A/K seats are very tight with 1A/1K being the worst.
Dine together works best from a space point of view on the A380 followed by the B777 followed by B747.
Old Aug 17, 18, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scillyisles View Post
Yes the photo is of a middle section First Class seat on a B777.
As the op will be flying on a 747, the photo is irrelevant. The space in the buddy seat in 747 F is tight to say the least. The A/K seats are very tight with 1A/1K being the worst.
Dine together works best from a space point of view on the A380 followed by the B777 followed by B747.
Gosh it is going to be tight then!
Old Aug 20, 18, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Lizie View Post
Gosh it is going to be tight then!
It is tight, especially in the rows nearer the front of the cabin (as others have said) but it is still quite fun to do if you're both in a good mood and one of you doesn't mind being a little less comfortable for the duration of the meal. And, of course, you don't have to decide until lunchtime comes -and the time at which it's lunchtime is of course entirely at your choosing as well.