Really BA? [wine dispensers in IAD lounge]

Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
However, I assume the large champagne sizes cater for it all being consumed in one session [wedding etc]. The offending IAD wine presumably sits there for a day or 2 [or even 3].
icegirl likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by T8191
However, I assume the large champagne sizes cater for it all being consumed in one session [wedding etc]. The offending IAD wine presumably sits there for a day or 2 [or even 3].
And?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

The LPGS is still served in First, where is the step-back?
The introduction and push for sparkling wine.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I cannot imagine why a reputable producer would object to providing large quantities to a business in a manner that best suits the business

If my recollection is correct, Magnum ( there is only one size of magnum - no large or small ones ) is the preferred size for keeping champagne and not aware of champagne houses having an issue. In fact, Bollinger seems quite happy for its champagne to be sold in Nebuchadnezzaras (15L). If having GBP8125 to spare, a Louis Roederer 2002 Cristal Champagne Methuselah (6L) is available from thechampagnecompany.com

mentioned at The most expensive, opulent and extravagant from Luxurylaunches - is a $58,413 Armand de Birgnac Ace of Spades ‘Midas’ Brut, Champagne which is 30L
Correct but these would be consumed very quickly and not sat around all day.
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by icegirl
The introduction and push for sparkling wine...
There is no push for sparkling wine. LGPS remains the main offering and it is the LPGS that is served when a passenger asks for champagne. The English sparkling wine offer is not new, BA has offered an English sparkling wine since the beginning of 2017. There is also a rosé champagne offered. Personally I think offering a decent English option on a British airline is an appropriate move. This is an option available in addition to the LPGS.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:41 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

There is no push for sparkling wine. LGPS remains the main offering and it is the LPGS that is served when a passenger asks for champagne. The English sparkling wine offer is not new, BA has offered an English sparkling wine since the beginning of 2017. There is also a rosé champagne offered. Personally I think offering a decent English option on a British airline is an appropriate move. This is an option available in addition to the LPGS.
I second this.

Some English sparkling wine aren't bad at all.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:07 am
Suspended

But like I said in that fizz thread they are not the correct calibre for First especially when comparing it to other airlines offerings.

As for the wine in the photo above, it appears to come from a vineyard called Camerey, which even Google can't much information. Not even their own website or even a review. So how BA obtained it is seriously worrying.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by icegirl;30088810[b
]But like I said in that fizz thread they are not the correct calibre for First especially when comparing it to other airlines offerings.[/b]

As for the wine in the photo above, it appears to come from a vineyard called Camerey, which even Google can't much information. Not even their own website or even a review. So how BA obtained it is seriously worrying.
Have you tried the wine? Or have you just looked the price up and decided it is not the right calibre because of that?

The taps have been in IAD for some weeks, and we have not seen one complaint on here about the quality of the wine - it can't be that bad because we would certainly have heard about it well before now.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:04 am
Suspended

Have you tried the wine? Or have you just looked the price up and decided it is not the right calibre because of that?

The taps have been in IAD for some weeks, and we have not seen one complaint on here about the quality of the wine - it can't be that bad because we would certainly have heard about it well before now.
I have not tried the wine but I am certainly now curious. Don't you think though tits interesting that the producer doesn't have a website nor is there a single review online and you can't even buy the stuff?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by camdentown
Well, anything that can improve the quality of wine in the IAD (washington dulles) lounge will be an improvement.
I consistently find that the IAD lounge, both the main lounge and the Corcorde Dining are cheap and nasty.
Sorry to be blunt, but my experiences there over the last 3 years have always been very poor indeed, bad food, bad wine,
miserable service, pre-flight dining(first)/supper(club0 consistently awful.
Notably inferior to ORD and JFK.
Anything they do will be an improvement.
I won't know, because I have chosen not to use BA at this airport any longer and they have lost my custom.
I was in Concorde dining a few weeks ago and the wines have improved dramatically. They were serving a 2012 (still a bit young) Brunello and an Amarone.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:15 am

But like I said in that fizz thread they are not the correct calibre for First especially when comparing it to other airlines offerings.
Why is that, and what makes you the judge of it? Personally I dislike champagne, however I do like a good sparkling English wine. The Ridgeview wines which come from about 2 miles from where I live are award winning and extremely good.

Why is it "seriously worrying"? It is not unusual for buyers to have their own brand names particularly where bought in bulk.

I have not tried the wine but I am certainly now curious. Don't you think though tits interesting that the producer doesn't have a website nor is there a single review online and you can't even buy the stuff?
Ah so you haven't even tasted it but you find the procurement "seriously worrying" and have decided it is "cheap and nasty wine". Honestly, some posters do make easy fools of themselves, I must say.

The red label shown in post 1 of course explains exactly and logically why the wine is presented in this way.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can partly explain this. Camarey is a brand label with IGP protected status for Languedoc, and comes from a large wine co-op Vignerons de la Vicomté stretching over 45 villages. The co-op makes 6 million bottles a year equivalent, and 95% goes on export. Though they have their own shop in the region, almost all the production is sold to the catering trade rather than to the public. Hence the lack of reviews.

accueil
http://www.wine4trade.fr/fr/images_d...berlin2014.pdf
page 77, or page 24 on their pagination.
T8191, icegirl, Lefly and 1 others like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Aug 16, 2018 at 8:29 am
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
I think the photo above, showing the canisters (and that Dettol-like spray hanging from one of them) really says everything that needs to be said about the quality of this offering.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by frandrake
I think the photo above, showing the canisters (and that Dettol-like spray hanging from one of them) really says everything that needs to be said about the quality of this offering.
I honestly don't understand what you mean.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
Why is that, and what makes you the judge of it? Personally I dislike champagne, however I do like a good sparkling English wine. The Ridgeview wines which come from about 2 miles from where I live are award winning and extremely good.
Indeed.

There are some excellent English sparkling wines out there, and a good one is most certainly not out of place on BA F.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Dettol, or Domestica?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.