Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Really BA? [wine dispensers in IAD lounge]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:30 am

I'm no wine connoisseur so I'd be happy to see the above in my local lounge. A bottle doesn't last long and I don't like having half a glass of an old bottle and the other half from a new bottle (once I've chased an attendant to actually change the bottle), and then there's the drips from the bottle whilst pouring as its been sitting in an ice/water bucket...

Bring on the dispensers
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Originally Posted by Lefly

Now waiting for the first thread about someone trying to nick the source container underneath the dispenser to take it on board
Murray Goldberg likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I was totally naive. From the title I was imagining them being like Vagabond!

https://www.bytheglass.eu/portfolio/london/
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
From the photo, and with Google help, the dispenser system seems to be like this one

It's no carton, but I can't help myself in doubting about the quality of the wine used with this system...
And how is the white kept chilled?

I was briefly tempted to get one for home ... there's space in the dining room
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:00 am
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Why? There are plenty of lounges in the US that are self serve.
My understanding is that it depends on the alcohol laws in the lounge's jurisdiction, which may even be at county level, hence some are strictly manned bars.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
As a (sort of) comparison, which is better - bottled Guinness or draught?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by xPositor
As a (sort of) comparison, which is better - bottled Guinness or draught?
There are a lot of variables packed into that concise question, starting with which bottled Guinness you mean, and whether we can assume the draught Guinness is well kept with clean lines etc.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:18 am

There's a prevalence of - how can I put this - directionally challenged pouring when it comes to the serve-yourself wine bottles in the various BA lounges, so I'm in favour of this development
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
There are a lot of variables packed into that concise question, starting with which bottled Guinness you mean, and whether we can assume the draught Guinness is well kept with clean lines etc.
Very true. I always find small local rugby clubs (i.e. of the village / small-town sized variety) serve the best draught Guinness. By the looks of it they'll empty a fresh barrel of an evening. Fizzy Guinness in a bottle is - IMO - simply disgusting.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: I don't fly enough
Originally Posted by T8191
And how is the white kept chilled?
Presumably a small remote cooler, it only needs to get down to about 10C I presume, so not quite as cold as beer would need to be, allowing for a smaller size.

From the photo, and with Google help, the dispenser system seems to be like this one
It's no carton, but I can't help myself in doubting about the quality of the wine used with this system...
These are the same Key Kegs used by the best craft breweries, so the keg itself will be decent quality, though I must admit kegged wine is a bit of a novelty to me as well!
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by xPositor
Very true. I always find small local rugby clubs (i.e. of the village / small-town sized variety) serve the best draught Guinness. By the looks of it they'll empty a fresh barrel of an evening. Fizzy Guinness in a bottle is - IMO - simply disgusting.
We struggled to get the turnover of Guinness at our shooting club at Bisley, and had to drop it for that very reason.

Bottled ... I tried it in SIN in the late 60s, bottled in KL of all places. It was AWFUL!!
newyorklondon and xPositor like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by wcel
I'm no wine connoisseur so I'd be happy to see the above in my local lounge. A bottle doesn't last long and I don't like having half a glass of an old bottle and the other half from a new bottle (once I've chased an attendant to actually change the bottle), and then there's the drips from the bottle whilst pouring as its been sitting in an ice/water bucket...

Bring on the dispensers
I had the pinot noir from there last week and it was perfectly good. And it's a pretty outdated assumption that wine in a bag is necessarily rubbish - plenty of very good restaurants and bars now buy by the bag from quality producers, on the basis that it makes total sense financially and environmentally. One independent wine shop I use in London has a growing range of excellent 'bagnums'!

Moreover, look at it this way... between the bar, the half-decent food in the restaurant, and the consistently excellent staff, IAD is a great lounge overall. If more of BA's outstation lounges (and even GC/GF...) were like IAD, that would be no bad thing at all!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Many years ago, a large UK Corporate had the technology to fill plastic bags of a variety of sizes with wine. There were lots of options about how to sell/display/dispense the wine. It reduced "corkage" to zero. The wine tasted the same from the plastic bag as it did from a bottle. (Blind tasting).
Unsurprisingly, given the snobbishness about wine, the project never took off.

I used to be held captive by wine snobbishness. No longer. I have been liberated from my captivity.

I now drink Kiwi Sauv. Blanc, brought over to the UK in giant vats and bottled here. With screw caps.

(Unless someone offers me Puligny Montrachet or Lynch Bages/its equivalent - as BA used to)
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:31 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Many years ago, a large UK Corporate had the technology to fill plastic bags of a variety of sizes with wine. There were lots of options about how to sell/display/dispense the wine. It reduced "corkage" to zero. The wine tasted the same from the plastic bag as it did from a bottle. (Blind tasting).
Unsurprisingly, given the snobbishness about wine, the project never took off.

I used to be held captive by wine snobbishness. No longer. I have been liberated from my captivity.

I now drink Kiwi Sauv. Blanc, brought over to the UK in giant vats and bottled here. With screw caps.

(Unless someone offers me Puligny Montrachet or Lynch Bages/its equivalent - as BA used to)
If wine is not to be aged, there is no reason to use bottles with corks; in addition re-sealing by tightening the screw caps would have no spill or leakage issues.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:25 am

Provided it is stored properly I can't see the difference between keg and bottle.

Presumably there are savings to be made by buying in industrial quantities too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.