Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Enhanced(!) bread choice in Club World (mini-rant!)

Enhanced(!) bread choice in Club World (mini-rant!)

Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by RB211
When was the bread choice in CW enhanced away? And who chose that awful thing they call bread now, with bits on the outside and bits on the inside. I'm tired of it! Can't we have something "normal" and edible, rather than some neo-para-modern-paleo-crypto-seedio-preclassic-meta-bread?

Yes, yes... I'm sure there are plenty who like it. And yes, yes, I know this is very much a first world problem. But I'd just like some normal bread with my dinner or lunch... please? Is that too much to ask for?

rb211.
I felt the same on my last CW flight. My tray had a 'fancy' roll on it. I couldn't see well enough (night flight) to see what it contained. My OH had a white roll on his tray. We swapped due to my numerous allergies. Given a choice, I always have to choose plain bread in order to avoid a nasty reaction. I was surprised at the random allocation of bread and assumed it was a recent enhancement. No point complaining or asking for a different roll ; last time I mentioned allergies on this route I was denied food for the rest of the flight as they said they couldn't guarantee there hadn't been cross-contamination on any element of the meal.

It made me yearn for Qatar; shame we can't use our 241's on the better Oneworld airlines.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
You get half a slice of granary style bread in CE in/out of LCY. Always warmed so I tuck the butter underneath it for a little while to make it spreadable.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ttama
... My OH had a white roll on his tray...
Thanks for the report. Anyone else had a white roll on they CW tray recently? Whom do I have to pay to get a white roll?

rb211.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: Varies
Thanks for the report. Anyone else had a white roll on they CW tray recently? Whom do I have to pay to get a white roll?

rb211.
OH had ordered the soup as a starter but was brought something else by mistake. I didn't see what roll he had on the original tray, but when it came back he had a white roll. So maybe it was because they'd 'sold out' of fancy bread at that point and they raided the WT kitchen, or the white rolls only come with soup, or maybe it's just luck of the draw.

I appreciate it's a bit of a first world problem, but then expecting anything to eat on a flight could be classed as that.

If BA cared about providing a decent business class service they'd offer a choice, even if it led to wastage. But they don't need to care, because they're making so much money they don't need to compete with other airlines. We (ie those who read and post here regularly) know this when we book with them, and we really shouldn't be surprised when we get a poor product. I feel sorry for people who don't know in advance, and are expecting something better. It must be very disappointing.

​​​​​​
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ttama
OH had ordered the soup as a starter but was brought something else by mistake. I didn't see what roll he had on the original tray, but when it came back he had a white roll. So maybe it was because they'd 'sold out' of fancy bread at that point and they raided the WT kitchen, or the white rolls only come with soup, or maybe it's just luck of the draw.

I appreciate it's a bit of a first world problem, but then expecting anything to eat on a flight could be classed as that.

If BA cared about providing a decent business class service they'd offer a choice, even if it led to wastage. But they don't need to care, because they're making so much money they don't need to compete with other airlines. We (ie those who read and post here regularly) know this when we book with them, and we really shouldn't be surprised when we get a poor product. I feel sorry for people who don't know in advance, and are expecting something better. It must be very disappointing.

​​​​​​
Thanks for the report. Maybe I'll try asking for a different roll next time and see what happens.

rb211.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Give it a few months years, there will be a press release on how they are investing millions and now offer a choice of bread...
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I’m actually waiting for the day BA says, don’t you people watch the news? We are starving you all because you are all getting fatter! Obesity was a topic all day today in sky news !

mind you on my last long haul BA in Y, I had so much sugar I felt diabetic getting off the plane!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:18 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Yeah it’s rank... I got it on an A380 in F class a week ago.

Apparently the F class bread can only be heated all
in one batch and promptly turns unservable rock solid. So dining later means serving CW rolls to half of F.

The 747 WW crew can manage it... but I didn’t want to argue with the crew member who flat out told me how tired he was from the night before, bored of flying the LAX route every week and didn’t really want to be there.

Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Flew CW earlier this week... here we go again...

rb211.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:26 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I learnt years ago that the greatest bores of the world usually are about other people’s diets, medical conditions, operations, and their holiday snaps. This is why I never bother with trip reports. They are crashingly self-opinionated and boring.

Now what is this to do with RB211 ? He is not boring. He is caddy, picky, and was probably made to eat his crusts. He was then thrust mercilessly into that theatre of cruelty the English School Catering. He was doomed poor Darling. Now years and years and years later he wants white bread. However he has entertained me so he will survive his hair rushing.

Honestly you collectively are too much. The majority of bread in the UK is fit for the bin. For some reason that which you can readily buy in France or Spain - or indeed much anywhere in Europe seems harder and harder to obtain in the UK. I am pleased that Mrs T has a bread machine even though her husband seems somewhat ungrateful and ungracious about her experimentations. He is also fortunate that she has not read that.

So, RB Baby if I knew that I was going to be on the same flight I would ensure that a Croute Bretonne was there to please you. I only buy the best butter which ruins me as Him Indoors lashes the stuff on this tartines and therefore we consume vast quantities of the stuff. Me? I’m am Marmite Girl.

i don’t suppose that you like that either.
dwugson, LiHS and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Flew CW earlier this week... here we go again...
I have to admit that I don't really see the problem: that bread roll looks rather nice. The butter, on the other hand, looks pale and tasteless.
TGLoyalty and jfallesen like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
I have to admit that I don't really see the problem: that bread roll looks rather nice. The butter, on the other hand, looks pale and tasteless.
Agreed! I have had that bread roll and, while by no means amazing, it is okay. But that butter is terrible! It tends to be rather crumbly as well as being unsalted and completely devoid of any flavour.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
havent flown CW recently but i loved the 3 in 1 thingy. but agree it is ridiculous they cannot manage more than one bread option like they do on club europe!
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I learnt years ago that the greatest bores of the world usually are about other people’s diets, medical conditions, operations, and their holiday snaps. This is why I never bother with trip reports. They are crashingly self-opinionated and boring.

Now what is this to do with RB211 ? He is not boring. He is caddy, picky, and was probably made to eat his crusts. He was then thrust mercilessly into that theatre of cruelty the English School Catering. He was doomed poor Darling. Now years and years and years later he wants white bread. However he has entertained me so he will survive his hair rushing.

Honestly you collectively are too much. The majority of bread in the UK is fit for the bin. For some reason that which you can readily buy in France or Spain - or indeed much anywhere in Europe seems harder and harder to obtain in the UK. I am pleased that Mrs T has a bread machine even though her husband seems somewhat ungrateful and ungracious about her experimentations. He is also fortunate that she has not read that.

So, RB Baby if I knew that I was going to be on the same flight I would ensure that a Croute Bretonne was there to please you. I only buy the best butter which ruins me as Him Indoors lashes the stuff on this tartines and therefore we consume vast quantities of the stuff. Me? I’m am Marmite Girl.

i don’t suppose that you like that either.
My life is complete now that I have been metaphorically spanked with the golden hairbrush!

My wife makes the most fantastic breads. But the key here is that she makes breads. There is choice. She also appreciates that humans spent hundreds of years trying to get the bits out of bread, and that putting them back in (certainly in today's sweeping variety in order to make something they think looks home made or "rustic" but still comes off the end of a production line) is a step in the wrong direction!

Regardless, my original point is about choice and simplicity. It's like having a pizza party with only one type of complicated pizza. Yes, a few people are going to think it's the greatest thing since, well, sliced bread! But quite a number will think it is meh and some won't even eat it. Or providing a choice of three pizzas, where none of them is plain cheese. Almost everyone who eats pizza will eat cheese pizza, the same is not true of any other type of pizza.

Maybe I don't belong on BA. Or maybe I don't belong in CW. I'm open to the idea that one or both of those are true!

Anyway, I shall retire now to sooth my metaphorically sore bottom!

rb211.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:46 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
My life is complete now that I have been metaphorically spanked with the golden hairbrush!

My wife makes the most fantastic breads. But the key here is that she makes breads. There is choice. She also appreciates that humans spent hundreds of years trying to get the bits out of bread, and that putting them back in (certainly in today's sweeping variety in order to make something they think looks home made or "rustic" but still comes off the end of a production line) is a step in the wrong direction!

Regardless, my original point is about choice and simplicity. It's like having a pizza party with only one type of complicated pizza. Yes, a few people are going to think it's the greatest thing since, well, sliced bread! But quite a number will think it is meh and some won't even eat it. Or providing a choice of three pizzas, where none of them is plain cheese. Almost everyone who eats pizza will eat cheese pizza, the same is not true of any other type of pizza.

Maybe I don't belong on BA. Or maybe I don't belong in CW. I'm open to the idea that one or both of those are true!

Anyway, I shall retire now to sooth my metaphorically sore bottom!

rb211.
Will you tell your wife that you’re metaphorically been spanked by a Cyber Dominatrix and that’s why you are metaphorically walking in a strange fashion? Yes, I understand. You’d like a choice. Fine - and probably they’ll change that in due course, but I will add. I’d rather one good product than a choice of mediocre ones.

You may present your wife with my compliments on her housewifely skills and put the word MUCCI in your title as you just earned one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.