Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA, profit and ancient aircraft interiors (my 2cents)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:48 am
Original Poster
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold

I am reading this forum for quite a while, even I am not a freq traveler on BA but it is simply entertaining to read all your complains, excitement for your first first and crazy TP runs, I wish other forums will be so active...

In the last period I was ”lucky” enough to get my flights booked with BA, so somehow I was a bit excited to try something new. I had my first intraEU flights in Y with BA and despite not flying them before, I didn't find anything new than many opinions how BA performs and yeah, people are right. If you fly point-to-point there is only one reason that can make you choose BA instead of any LCCs - and thats LHR.

Now, after my first intraEU flights I had a trip to NY and my luck strike again - booked in Y with BA... on their B747... ok, after some research I found out that I was lucky enough to fly with a B747 that has a refreshed cabin. I don't know what refreshed cabin means for BA but I don't want to know how other BA B744s that have the old cabin are looking like because the ones I flew are outdated... I flew LH's B744 and there was no big difference compared to their B748, but it is a huge difference between LH's B744 and BA...

There is also a big difference between BA and LH, and other carriers that are investing quite a lot to keep their planes nice and comfortable... BA's profits are much higher than other carriers' (% from income)...

Safe travels
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by GBobon
I am reading this forum for quite a while, even I am not a freq traveler on BA but it is simply entertaining to read all your complains, excitement for your first first and crazy TP runs, I wish other forums will be so active...

In the last period I was ”lucky” enough to get my flights booked with BA, so somehow I was a bit excited to try something new. I had my first intraEU flights in Y with BA and despite not flying them before, I didn't find anything new than many opinions how BA performs and yeah, people are right. If you fly point-to-point there is only one reason that can make you choose BA instead of any LCCs - and thats LHR.

Now, after my first intraEU flights I had a trip to NY and my luck strike again - booked in Y with BA... on their B747... ok, after some research I found out that I was lucky enough to fly with a B747 that has a refreshed cabin. I don't know what refreshed cabin means for BA but I don't want to know how other BA B744s that have the old cabin are looking like because the ones I flew are outdated... I flew LH's B744 and there was no big difference compared to their B748, but it is a huge difference between LH's B744 and BA...

There is also a big difference between BA and LH, and other carriers that are investing quite a lot to keep their planes nice and comfortable... BA's profits are much higher than other carriers' (% from income)...

Safe travels
There is huge difference in the Y offering on updated 747 so maybe you had an old one? The screen is the most notable and much bigger. Excuse the bad pictures taken from google but it should show you the difference.

New 747 Economy

Old 747 Economy
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

nope, definitely was the ”new one”
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

nope, definitely was the ”new one”
Is this your benchmark? Is there anything you specifically liked about Lufthansa's seat/cabin or disliked about BA's seat/cabin?
Attached Images  
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Interested in what in particular is better about LH Y? I haven’t flown LH long haul in long time but I have a number of others and BAs latest Y is superior to most and at least equal to the rest. With the recent catering changes and magnums I’d actually go so far as to say that BA Y is the best I’ve flown on. (I’m not a BA apologist, I wouldn’t say that for any other cabin, where BA often isn’t even in the top half...)
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

@RobDBA, yes, their catering is surprisingly very good, but in this post I am talking strictly about their cabin and pax comfort. @Prospero, LH's B744> better and more comfortable seats (including power outlet), working windows shades, cleaner cabin and overall it looks fresher than BA, at least thats my impression after flying both.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m no BA fan but I see very little difference between the LH cabin and the refurbished BA one.
Did the BA aircraft have power outlets?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I’m no BA fan but I see very little difference between the LH cabin and the refurbished BA one.
Did the BA aircraft have power outlets?
The refurbished BA 747s have full power outlets in F, J and WT+ and only USB power in WT.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Well I didn’t know that and I should have.
MFCC likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
@RobDBA, yes, their catering is surprisingly very good, but in this post I am talking strictly about their cabin and pax comfort. @Prospero, LH's B744> better and more comfortable seats (including power outlet), working windows shades, cleaner cabin and overall it looks fresher than BA, at least thats my impression after flying both.
So I mentioned catering as what lifts it above everything else - but still the latest refreshed WT feels like new planes, the seats are very comfortable and have huge screens with good quality USB power at every seat. That’s what in my mind makes it equal or better than any other Y I’ve flown and why I’m struggling to see from the picture how LH is better?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.