FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Amex companion voucher - world record attempt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1925164-amex-companion-voucher-world-record-attempt.html)

firstlight Aug 14, 2018 10:15 am

Amex companion voucher - world record attempt

I'm setting up to earn and spend an amex companion voucher in the least possible time.

Earning year starts in about 11 days. I'm going to try and earn the voucher in one single transaction and then spend it as soon as possible.
Anyone done this before and know the shortest time achievable ? I reckon to be able to do it in about 25 hours but it might be a bit longer because it's on the weekend.

johnaalex Aug 14, 2018 10:20 am

Earning it quickly won't be a problem but getting a flight to somewhere you want to go to, in the class of travel you want on convenient dates may take longer.

T8191 Aug 14, 2018 10:47 am

With a 241, a multi-sector to somewhere exotic should be achievable with an open mind!

firstlight Aug 14, 2018 10:50 am

Originally Posted by johnaalex (Post 30081669)
Earning it quickly won't be a problem but getting a flight to somewhere you want to go to, in the class of travel you want on convenient dates may take longer.

I already have a one way flight for 2 booked with avios, converting it into a 2-4-1 is I believe from previous posts eminently possible although I have to phone up to do so. The released avios will then be used to make the outbound booking using gold priority reward or existing V class availability.

firstlight Aug 14, 2018 10:52 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 30081785)
With a 241, a multi-sector to somewhere exotic should be achievable with an open mind!

Well indeed @T8191 just trying to keep up with you. In this case already have the destination lined up. For extra marks I'll be spending the money with BA holidays so should net another 40K avios for the pot!

Tilly71 Aug 14, 2018 11:24 am

Originally Posted by firstlight (Post 30081641)
I'm setting up to earn and spend an amex companion voucher in the least possible time.

Earning year starts in about 11 days. I'm going to try and earn the voucher in one single transaction and then spend it as soon as possible.
Anyone done this before and know the shortest time achievable ? I reckon to be able to do it in about 25 hours but it might be a bit longer because it's on the weekend.

Try to make your purchase transaction early in the week, from my experience it will usually sit "pending" for nearly two days then it takes another day to show on your companion voucher target spend screen. Expect to wait anywhere between 2 - 7 days for your 241 companion voucher to arrive in your account to use.

T8191 Aug 14, 2018 12:26 pm

I confess I’ve never timed the arrival of a 241. They just happen with pleasant regularity each year, thanks to our liberal (indeed daily) use of the BAPP ;)

firstlight Aug 14, 2018 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 30082215)
I confess I’ve never timed the arrival of a 241. They just happen with pleasant regularity each year, thanks to our liberal (indeed daily) use of the BAPP ;)

We are fortunate to manage 2 vouchers a year and earn enough avios to make them worthwhile. BAredemptionfinder is a new tool which is brilliant for finding late breaking availability

T8191 Aug 14, 2018 12:43 pm

The 2nd card would indeed generate another 241, but sadly we don’t rack enough TPs/Avios to really take advantage of that. We scrape Gold annually (so far) but the 241 makes a big hole in TP earning. We could (cash wise) afford another holiday, but the calendar would still be looking for the TP earning trips.

Our friends imminently moving from PHX to D.C. doesn’t help either!!

PS: I seem to need to spend c. £1500 by end Feb 19 for the next 241 ... end Sep 18 should do it!!

pauldb Aug 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by firstlight (Post 30081795)
I already have a one way flight for 2 booked with avios, converting it into a 2-4-1 is I believe from previous posts eminently possible although I have to phone up to do so. The released avios will then be used to make the outbound booking using gold priority reward or existing V class availability.

I think you’ve got confused here. If you have a one way outbound 241 booked with the voucher, you can make an inbound booking at full cost and then have it 241’d within 24hrs.

You cannot just take an existing one way booking for 2 and have it 241’d once you have the voucher. And, depending on whether you’re implying the outbound would also be on the 241, you cannot, even intermittently, have a one way booking TO the UK on the voucher (ex-UK one way is possible).

firstlight Aug 14, 2018 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by pauldb (Post 30082423)

I think you’ve got confused here. If you have a one way outbound 241 booked with the voucher, you can make an inbound booking at full cost and then have it 241’d within 24hrs.

You cannot just take an existing one way booking for 2 and have it 241’d once you have the voucher. And, depending on whether you’re implying the outbound would also be on the 241, you cannot, even intermittently, have a one way booking TO the UK on the voucher (ex-UK one way is possible).

Ah, very interesting. I've seen that some people have booked the outgoing then paid for the inbound with avios and then got that added to the voucher, I've already got the inbound. I have heard that on the telephone they will sort it out making sure the cancellation doesn't cause the reward flight availability to disappear. But if you have tried / know better then that's good to know.

pauldb Aug 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by firstlight (Post 30082583)
Ah, very interesting. I've seen that some people have booked the outgoing then paid for the inbound with avios and then got that added to the voucher, I've already got the inbound. I have heard that on the telephone they will sort it out making sure the cancellation doesn't cause the reward flight availability to disappear. But if you have tried / know better then that's good to know.

OK so I don’t know for sure but BA started to offer this narrow flexibility so new inbound availability at midnight T-355 can be grabbbed for 241s (given that you can’t add a flight to an existing outbound booking online or make do with a standard online one way when the 241 is no longer on your account). I wouldn’t expect them to start allowing you to back a 241 into an existing booking.

memesweeper Aug 14, 2018 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by pauldb (Post 30082792)
I wouldn’t expect them to start allowing you to back a 241 into an existing booking.

+1

... but it’s worth a try. If your request is refused go to Plan B and cancel the one way returns and hope the seats go back into Avios inventory. I’d have a plan C date/flight ready just in case the plan B is also foiled!

Good luck with your record attempt! :-)

firstlight Aug 15, 2018 12:45 pm

Redemption seats cancellation turn-around time

Originally Posted by memesweeper (Post 30082867)

+1

... but it’s worth a try. If your request is refused go to Plan B and cancel the one way returns and hope the seats go back into Avios inventory. I’d have a plan C date/flight ready just in case the plan B is also foiled!

Good luck with your record attempt! :-)

Thanks

Does anyone know or have experience of how fast cancelled redemption seats go back into inventory (I understand they may not do). For example, is it immediate, next day, 3 days etc.?

lev441 Aug 15, 2018 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by firstlight (Post 30086299)
Thanks

Does anyone know or have experience of how fast cancelled redemption seats go back into inventory (I understand they may not do). For example, is it immediate, next day, 3 days etc.?

Whenever i've taken the gamble it's been instant and i've been able to rebook. No guarantees but this has been around the t-355 dates...Not sure what it is like closer to the date of departure.