Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booking a higher booking class & UUA/Reward Flight Saver questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond

I want to UUA a short haul flight.

I have tried the book and upgrade tool but just giving an error.

The lowest selling class is currently not upgradeable. Moving up to one that is is an extra £15. What is the best way to book this? Call and ask for the booking class I want? Book the lower one and call within 24 hours to change. Will the telephone booking fee apply on either route? I’ve found getting the fee waived hard work/not possible recently even when the website was falling over.

Secondly how are taxes, fees and charges applied? Does RFS apply and cap any additional taxes?

I’ve looked for existing threads on this but they are a little inconclusive.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I think the RFS cap on taxes only applies to a pure award, not UUA.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The easiest way to do this is to book online, choosing the cheapest bucket.

Then ring up - within 24 hours - and then ask it to be put in N bucket (usually but not always the cheapest UuA bucket). You will pay the fare difference from (say) O to N but no penalty and you won't be out of pocket, nor pay a telephone service fee, so long as it is done within 24 hours. And of course if it doesn't work out you could cancel for a free refund too at this point. The one thing to avoid, in my view, is paying the 72 hour hold booking, it just complicates things.

Having done that, you can then UuA, either via another call, or possibly online. The UuA cost will be the differential between the two fares at RFS level, and the difference in fees/taxes between ET and CE. All this you can work out via Matrix and / or Expertflyer. From the UK the main cash element is the £13 additional APD if applicable, apart from that usually there isn't much of a cash component other than currency differences in the taxes over the days concerned (and it is broadly as likely to go down as up).

If this is too broad an answer, by all means give a specific example and I'll provide the workings out.
lcylocal likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks, really helpful answer.

Route is LHR to ARN, but sure I can work this out on ITA Matrix.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lcylocal
Route is LHR to ARN, but sure I can work this out on ITA Matrix.
OK, so if we take the cheapest fare, say 29 October out, 5 November back, that comes to £74.90 return Basic, O class both ways, bookable online. Base fare £24, £50.90 taxes and fees

To get this to N class the base Basic fare goes to £99 (quite a jump in my experience, it may not be a good example), so to UuA for one way only you would probably be looking at around £40 to take one leg from O to N, £13 extra APD and 6250 Avios off peak. For the return it's more cost effective, since the total would be £75 fare difference on O, £13 APD outbound, and 12500 Avios. I say more cost effective, if staying a Saturday night then revenue fares would usually beat redemptions.

N gets you the higher level of TPs, so 10 per leg rather than 5.
lcylocal likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks C-W-S really helpful answer and breakdown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.